Some North Eastern & LNER Locomotive Builds

mikemeg

Re: Some North Eastern & LNER Locomotive Builds

Postby mikemeg » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:27 am

LONDON ROAD MODELS LNER B16/1

With the addition of brakes, footplate steps, mechanical lubricators, then this second build of the London Road Models B16/1 kit is nearing completion. After the addition of the cab handrails, steam reverser, brake linkage, more cab details, etc. then both B16/1 models will be painted in British Railways mixed traffic lined black and then suitably weathered.

I think this London Road Models kit does capture the essence of these locomotives very well, though this kit is not for the inexperienced builder.

Big and heavy they certainly were; smelly and noisy they could be; dirty and unkempt oft times they were but they were lovely things these steam locomotives!

Cheers

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mikemeg

Postby mikemeg » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:35 am

And when the B16/1's are done, then I have this to finish painting.

Cheers

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mikemeg

Postby mikemeg » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:03 pm

Another painting, which is very much born of a railway heritage, is this one, done a few years ago. Based on a 1934 LMS Railway poster, this one is called 'Evening Sailing' and portrays the LMS Railway's SS Picard setting sail from Tilbury for Dunkerque on a cold clear winter's evening, borne on a sea of light.

Now back to the locomotives!

Cheers

Mike
Last edited by mikemeg on Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:00 pm

mikemeg wrote:Now back to the locomotives!

Cheers

Mike

I hope you are OK Mike? I do enjoy you postings, how are things progressing?

Stay safe

Steve
Steve Carter

mikemeg

Postby mikemeg » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:11 am

Steve Carter wrote:

Cheers

Mike

Stay safe

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure whether I mentioned, on this site, that I was moving house and consequently much of my modelling equipment - tools, components, etc. - was packed into boxes, so effectively stopping any modelling activities.

Anyway, whether I did or not, I managed to move house just over a week ago - March 23rd; on the last day before the Government ordered our lockdown. Good timing or what? Well, I must admit it was 'or what'; just very good luck.

So now I am busy unpacking all of the various containers containing the modelling equipment, parts, etc. Also taking the opportunity to de-clutter some of the accumulated 'this might come in useful' collection and generally rationalise the 'hobbies room'. Some folk know this activity as tidying!!

Anyway, here's a photo of a half completed LNER T1 4-8-0 tank - a 52F Models product - now awaiting the building of its chassis. When I bought this kit, I bought an additional chassis etch which was used to update my scratch built T1. I also managed to find a Mashima 1628 motor, which I didn't now I had, in unused condition, so this will power the second T1, along with a High Level 120 : 1 gearbox and the largest flywheel that can be accommodated within the loco superstructure.

So, for anyone wondering where I've been then the explanation is above and I'm afraid you're going to have to put up with me for at least another year as I've just renewed my membership!!

Cheers

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:24 am

Good to have you back, Mike, and the T1 is looking impressive.

A question if I may: do you ever have the problem when using Gibson P4 wheels of the axles being too short, particularly on wheels for ex-NER locos? On one set I have, when set to the correct back to back, the axle is about 1mm too short.

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:07 pm

mikemeg wrote:
Steve Carter wrote:

Cheers

Mike

Stay safe

Steve

So, for anyone wondering where I've been then the explanation is above and I'm afraid you're going to have to put up with me for at least another year as I've just renewed my membership!!

Cheers

Hi Mike, welcome back to the Forum :thumb

It was good to talk the other day, it brought back good memories of my time at Stewart’s Lane.

Thank you for renewing your membership, it is, as are all renewals, very much appreciated.

Take care and stay safe.

All the best

Steve

Steve Carter
Membership Secretary
Steve Carter

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:24 pm

Daddyman,
I've certainly had Gibson wheels (not LNER types) where the axle is slightly short, but not by the amount mentioned. I wonder if you've been supplied with the wrong items? A call to Colin might be worthwhile.
Dave.

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:52 am

Dave Holt wrote:Daddyman,
I've certainly had Gibson wheels (not LNER types) where the axle is slightly short, but not by the amount mentioned. I wonder if you've been supplied with the wrong items? A call to Colin might be worthwhile.
Dave.

Thanks for your help, Dave. The 1mm was a guess and - it turns out - an exaggeration: they're probably only 0.5 too short, but look awful.

The axles are 22.5-ish, the same as those in an unopened pack of the same wheels, so there doesn't seem to be a mix-up on Colin's part. But I have another set of wheels which (measured with a Vernier through the plastic packaging) are 23mm-ish; those would be a better fit. My worry is that the bosses on the ones where the axle is short are too pronounced and I'll have to faff around removing the crankpins and skimming the faces off the bosses. Or as you say, ring Colin, but he always sounds so inundated.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:57 pm

Daddyman wrote:
Dave Holt wrote:Daddyman,
Dave.

Thanks for your help, Dave. The 1mm was a guess and - it turns out - an exaggeration: they're probably only 0.5 too short, but look awful.

The axles are 22.5-ish, the same as those in an unopened pack of the same wheels, so there doesn't seem to be a mix-up on Colin's part. But I have another set of wheels which (measured with a Vernier through the plastic packaging) are 23mm-ish; those would be a better fit. My worry is that the bosses on the ones where the axle is short are too pronounced and I'll have to faff around removing the crankpins and skimming the faces off the bosses. Or as you say, ring Colin, but he always sounds so inundated.

Alternatively, when you're satisfied as to the axle length that you want, send in an order to Ultrascale. They're always turning out axles anyway, so you may receive them quicker than the current three months. And they'll have the ends rounded off to make it easier to insert into the wheel centre.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:23 pm

Daddyman wrote:Or as you say, ring Colin, but he always sounds so inundated.

David,

I've copied this from a posting to the EMGS forum yesterday:

"...talking of Gibson, this is a good time to contact Colin and order those bits you know will be needed soon. This is because instead of the old outgoing message telling you he will ring back, you are very likely to get through first time. Colin is very grateful for any orders as he and his good wife need the income with four major shows having been cancelled.".

As with supporting other small suppliers during this difficult time, it sounds like it would be a rewarding call in many ways.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:02 pm

Thanks to both of you. I did check AGW's website and they do have a Covid-19 message, but that just makes him sound more inundated than ever! The other thing was I didn't want to just ring to tell him his axles were the wrong length, but there's nothing else I need.

But anyway in the meantime a kind Society member has offered me some axles of the correct length.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:14 pm

My solution is just to cut new axles from 1/8” or 3mm steel rod. I turn them to exact length in the lathe, but it almost as easy to use hacksaw and file.

Philip

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:33 am

Thanks. That's a plan-b for the future.

mikemeg

Postby mikemeg » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:45 am

Daddyman wrote:Good to have you back, Mike, and the T1 is looking impressive.

A question if I may: do you ever have the problem when using Gibson P4 wheels of the axles being too short, particularly on wheels for ex-NER locos? On one set I have, when set to the correct back to back, the axle is about 1mm too short.

Sorry for the delay in replying; I've only just read this posting.

Yes, I've had a few problems with the P4 axles on Alan Gibson wheels. The AG axles for EM and P4 are of slightly different lengths. I've had a few P4 wheelsets which were packed with EM axles, which had to be replaced. This seems to have been most prevalent on the 16 mm driving wheels (J72) and on some of the 18 mm drivers (J25,26,27).

Cheers

Mike

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:15 pm

Thanks, Mike. I spoke to Colin and he says 22.8 is the longest they do. He says the process of putting on the tyres could possibly squash out the bosses slightly.

mikemeg

Postby mikemeg » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:33 am

NORTH EASTERN KITS NER CLASS A / LNER F8

It's some time since last I posted to this site, though I haven't been entirely inactive. I did start a London Road Models LNER N8 but this build was interrupted by a new test build which needed to be done.

So, now approaching completion is this; the second test build of Arthur Kimber's (North Eastern Kits) North Eastern Railway Class A / LNER Class F8 2-4-2 tank. The first test build did provide a working chassis but there were a few issues on the superstructure which meant that the first build of the loco body was aborted.

Much more detail on this build is covered in my thread on RMWeb, however I'll happily answer any questions posted on this site and thread, on this site and thread. There are still a number of small etches and a few castings to add to this but, hopefully, the attached photo will give some idea of what the finished build should look like.

I make no apologies for having a great fondness and admiration for the locos of the old North Eastern and these absolutely epitomised the essence of both North Eastern and of Victorian locomotive design. Clean, uncluttered, they were just lovely little locomotives.

Cheers

Mike

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:52 pm

It's a very neat build, as usual, Mike, but something about it doesn't look right. It doesn't capture the look of the class to me, and I think it loses it somewhere in the relation between the wheels and the valance; it looks like it sits too high. The angle of the photo may be playing a part, but John Fleming's drawing shows the top of the carrying wheels' treads level with the bottom of the valance, while photos of the real thing suggest the line of the valance may even cut through the carrying-wheel treads when viewed side-on.

The other concern, of course, is the castings - you've already replaced the dome with one you had in stock if I recall, and the one originally supplied was a real shocker. The smokebox door, too, is of the wrong type (not flat enough). I had to replace both the dome and the door (and most of the other castings) on the Tennant, meaning that what I effectively got was an etches-only kit at the price of a full kit (though the chimney and safety valve trumpet were superb). The lack of accurate castings has always put me off buying anything more from this range.

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:12 am

I just happen to have a GA and this shows the valance should sit level with the tyre on the 3ft 9 1/4in carrying wheels. The NER's 4ft 3in to underside of platform should confirm. Platform 8ft 4in wide.

DaveB

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:32 am

davebradwell wrote:I just happen to have a GA and this shows the valance should sit level with the tyre on the 3ft 9 1/4in carrying wheels. The NER's 4ft 3in to underside of platform should confirm. Platform 8ft 4in wide.

DaveB

Thanks Dave. Might just be the angle of the photograph. Or something else is wrong - it doesn't capture "the look" for me.

Noel

Postby Noel » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:24 pm

Not my period or railway, but just out of curiosity, I looked for prototype pictures and found [amongst others] https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-LNER-CONSTITUENT-COMPANIES/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-THE-NORTH-EASTERN-RALIWAY/i-ktMnCsr, click on the image for a larger version. The model body possibly is very slightly high on the chassis, but what I noticed most was the relationship of the front steps...
Regards
Noel

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:01 pm

Just after I'd put the drg away! Drg shows same style of front steps as model but at same height as rear steps. The sandbox is behind there and it could give the steps some strength.

DaveB

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:38 pm

Noel's photo shows the cab aperture is wrong - it doesn't go high enough, and possibly also doesn't extend far enough down, which might be putting the tank top and bunker top in the wrong relationship. I wonder what the height from footplate to cab aperture bottom and to tank top and bunker top should be and whether the model is correct there.

ArthurK

Postby ArthurK » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:05 pm

As the perpetrator of the etches used by Mike I must add a few words in defence and a little criticism of Mike's build.

First let me say, I always use the dimensions given on a large scale GA drawing. The main problem was the absence of the correct wheel in the Gibson range. The nearest was 3' 6" rather than the 3' 9 !/4". This immediate increases the gap to footplate angle by 1.0mm. Mike has admitted that the footplate was a little high.
No one has mentioned the position of the buffers in relation to the footplate, They are 1mm too high. Definitely my fault. That will be corrected.
The cab roof does not appear to be correctly seated the rear corner shows a slight gap which may account for the criticism of the cab opening. The tanks, cab opening and bunker are all exactly in line. The cab beading (3/4" full scale) does raise this a fraction. The photograph referred to is shown before the addition of coal rails which completely alter the appearance of the rear.
F8 scan.jpg

ArthurK

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:15 am

Nice to hear from you, Arthur, it seems a long time since our last chat at Wakefield. I'm hoping you noticed my rather precise posting on footplate height which did quote wheel diameter, giving Mike an opportunity to confirm an undersize wheel. I see Gibbo does 3-8 wheels but with an extra couple of spokes - sometimes you just can't win! This is strange because the NER usually threw in a couple of extras and does reveal these engines to be an early effort.

Your drg shows the front step higher than the rear and, without digging the GA out again, I did think they were the same. Aren't the buffer beams just fitted upside-down? This would alter the character of the engine.

DaveB

Return to “Steam Locomotives”