Makers Nameplates

Serjt-Dave

Makers Nameplates

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:35 am

Hi All. I'm just finishing off a couple of Jinty's, and I'm a bit confused about where to fix the makers nameplates. Both were built by the Vulcan Works in the mid 1920's. Looking at images of other Vulcan built Jinty's they show that the nameplates were fitted on the front wheel splashers. But images of the two Jinty's I'm building they don not have them. In fact I can't see them fitted anywhere on these tow loco's. Any ideas?

For references my two locos are 47275 and 47469.

Dave

billbedford

Re: Makers Nameplates

Postby billbedford » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:43 am

The back of the bunker had two plates; a water capacity plate, and a LMS ownership plate. The plates applied by outside builders were almost invariably remove at the first heavy repair and replaced by a standard LMS plate.

BryanJohnson

Postby BryanJohnson » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:05 am

I've have a Vulcan Jinty to build as well, 47507, so had the same questions.

None of the images I have for my loco show any works plates, but this may depend on your modelling period. Some works plates survived into the 1950's.

From this photo from a preserved loco and the scale drawing in the Wild Swan book, I estimated the prototype plate as 10” wide and 6” high, based on the splasher being 10" high.
Worksplate on 47406 splasher.jpg

247 Developments produced a plate on this basis, which is now in their catalogue.

Some Vulcan locos had them fitted low down on the bunker sides.

My thoughts are if you want to fit a worksplate, get it from 247 Developments and fit on the front splashers or bunker sides.

Don't forget to check the construction of the bunker sides for Vulcan built locos.

Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:12 am

A quick trawl through available photographs suggests to me that quite a lot of shunting tanks on the LMS carried plates on the bunker nearside (and offside?) positioned about 9" up from the running plate, and retained them into BR days. Can't guarantee that these were builder's plates, but seems likely. If the models are destined for an S&D layout then you should be referring them as Bagnalls rather than Jinties, even if they were built by Vulcan! ;)

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:22 am

Thanks for your responses.

Hi Bill, I can clearly see the capacity plate on the engines but no other. Saying that I don't have a clear enough images showing the full bank of the bunker. So if there is a second plate {LMS type} much lower down, the images I have don't show it. I understand during overhaul they could be removed if the part they were attached to had to be replaced, but would they have bothered if they didn't need to as other locos did retain them? One the other hand it explains why my two chosen locos haven't got them.

Hi Bryan. Looking at image from the early 50's to the mid 60's they don't show them, even the one image I have showing 47496 in it's LMS livery and number in 51. Yes I got my plates from 247 Developments and 47406 was one of the locos I used as a reference.

My Dear John. I feel another knee-trembler coming on. If Ivo Peter call them Jinty's then they are bloody Jinty's. LOL. As I have already stated I can't see any plates on the sides of the bunkers, so it's like what Bill has said they were removed.

I'll add the capacity plate but leave the makers ones off. As for an LMS owners plate will need to see one fitted to get the correct location.

Thanks Again

Dave

P.S. Anyone knows anybody who needs some Vulcan plates? LOL.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:41 am

What you need is "British locomotive builders' plates" ISBN 1-85780-018-4.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:22 pm

Thanks Tim. Book now on order.

Dave

Return to “Steam Locomotives”