DCC sound for Caley locos

Carina M

DCC sound for Caley locos

Postby Carina M » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:24 pm

While viewing the excellent layouts operating at Scalefour North this month, I was struck by the fact that those operating with diesel traction featured DCC sound, whereas none of those operating under steam power did, certainly during the time while I was there. There can be many reasons for this absence, but a major one is a lack of suitable soundfiles, particularly for the pre-grouping locos which many favour. I am pleased to say that for those of a Caledonian persuasion, the prospect is more optimistic. One of the members of the Caledonian Railway Association commissioned a set of professional recordings of the preserved Caley 812 Class 0-6-0 at Aviemore last year, and generously made these available to the CRA for the development of a soundfile of Caley engine sounds. South West Digital has taken on this project, and it is hoped that the soundfile will be available in their range of SWD LokSound decoders by the end of the year. Personally I am much looking forward to hearing what the late O. S. Nock described in his book The Caledonian Railway as “the deep, full-throated siren blast of the true product of St Rollux” on my layout before too long.

Carina M

Return to “Steam Locomotives”