Barclay Drawings

High Level Kits

Barclay Drawings

Postby High Level Kits » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:58 pm

The Hattons' model Barclay looks superb, but the slab-sided boiler draws the eye in and I'm sure most P4 modellers would be put off by this. I hope to make a chassis for this model with the boiler dropping away with the chassis, as per my full loco kits, and may also include a lost wax crosshead (and clacks if needed).

If anyone has good drawings of 16 or 18 inch Barclay 0-4-0 tanks I'd be very grateful to have a loan of them for a while. This would probably be a G.A. showing the valvegear, brake linkages etc - all the stuff normally present on High Level chassis kits. One from a Railway Modeller or such probably wouldn't have enough detail and I have to make it look at least as good as the RTR model (which is pretty good)

I am aware of the Mitchell library but this would be a complicated route as it can be difficult to track down a full loco, but if anyone has done this successfully then I'd be grateful for tips.

dave_long

Re: Barclay Drawings

Postby dave_long » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:08 pm

Is the Mitchell library you refer to the same as the University of Glasgow archive?
https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/a ... 8913dd81d7

I was going to try the archive but didn't after Hattons announced their model. Plus I got hold of an old Mercian kit too.

High Level Kits

Postby High Level Kits » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:31 am

That's the one. It's almost impossible to find stuff!

Loving that link that takes you to the page you're already on - similar to the HMRC website.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:08 am

I have a drawing of an 18' from the Glasgow Archive.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

High Level Kits

Postby High Level Kits » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:37 pm

Thanks, but its 14 and 16'' I'm after. I admire you for being able to get it from Glasgow though - did you hire a computer hacker or private detective?...

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:08 pm

No, I emailed them when I was a student in Norwich and they were helpful. Somewhere I have a lovely photo of the loco I wanted to model (The one that was in the photo of a 1974/5 Railway World annual in Ayrshire going under a tiny stone bridge.) . The drawing isn't for that actual loco as no specific drawing was made, but an identical one bar buffers and couplings that was built in the same year.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

dave_long

Postby dave_long » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:57 pm

This appeared in that other place. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ?p=3092220
from September 1948 Model Railway Constructor. May be not enough detail?

Return to “Steam Locomotives”