Bachmann 3F tank and Brassmasters rods

Hardwicke

Bachmann 3F tank and Brassmasters rods

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:05 pm

I'm having difficulty with the Brassmasters rods on the Bachmann 3F tank. It is not possible to set it up in the traditional Sharman way of checking one rod against the other from the initial driven axle. Additionally the set up of of the rods with the rivetted knuckle leads to a slight variation on length. Added to this, the sprung middle axle leads to a binding of the axles as it pushes on the chassis base and results in a non free running chassis ( I'm using 1/8th axles of Gibson origin as opposed to the 3mm ). I've opened the axle slots out slightly with a reamer. Would removing the spring or cutting it further solve this?
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Philip Hall

Re: Bachmann 3F tank and Brassmasters rods

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:47 am

In any chassis with slots for bearings I would always set up a set of jig axles and check whether the slots actually match the rods. Even the rods that come with the chassis may not match, so in taking up some of the excessive slop we can have problems. Possibly when you opened up the slots for a 1/8" axle it made a difference to the alignment, maybe even more so if new rods were constructed. So I would drop some jig axles in the slots and compare and adjust.

Philip

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:24 am

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:17 am

Not that it helps much but I used AG conversion sets with 3mm axles and Bill Bedford rods and all fitted.
In use the centre axle should be held up off the keeper plate by the wheels sitting on the rails, otherwise the wheelset would not be pushed into a depression by the spring. The larger axles could affect this, if the centre axle cannot drop below the end axles then the keeper plate needs relieving a bit.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Steam Locomotives”