Hornby Peckett saddle tank

Captain Kernow

Re: Hornby Peckett saddle tank

Postby Captain Kernow » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:06 pm

James Wells wrote:
Captain Kernow wrote:Noted, and fair enough, but we're above that kind of thing really, aren't we?

I was always taught the railway runs on tea, overtime and sarcasm! ;)

All the best for 2017 Captain! :D

Well, I always subscribed to that line in the BTF classic 'Snowdrift at Bleath Gill', where the narrator (Deryck Guyler) said 'the railway runs on tea and bad language!' Pretty similar, but the overtime bit is still as true today as it ever was. Some former colleagues were bemoaning the number of vacancies in the SW signaller grades the other day, even they seem to be getting a bit tired of the constant overtime!
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

pete55

Postby pete55 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:40 pm

Re6/6
The motion clearances are too tight so that the cylinders will have to be spaced out. They are cast as one piece in metal so spacing should be fairly straightforward.

Prodding my Peckett cylinder stretcher moulding with a scalpel point says they are plastic....much easier to deal with than a metal casting.

Porcy Mane

Postby Porcy Mane » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:46 pm

pete55 wrote:Prodding my Peckett cylinder stretcher moulding with a scalpel point says they are plastic....much easier to deal with than a metal casting.

The tongue test is far more reliable Pete. Cold = metal, warm = plastic. A bit more messy though.

P

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:31 pm

This is what the Peckett Looks like with a bit of work to make it a little more mainstream industrial (buffer beam, chimney, dome and buffers0, plus some liberal but subtle weathering.

20170102_232656 cropped.jpg

Not my work and not to P4, so it does not offer any clues to the earlier questions but hopefully it offers some inspiration!

For more details see the builder's blog here https://otcm.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/f ... -finished/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark Tatlow

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:07 pm

This is a new thread on RMWeb about weathering and modifications to the Peckett. Some interesting changes already.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... hl=peckett

SteamAle

Postby SteamAle » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:51 am

Andrew Ullyott wrote:Saw one of these in Model Railways Direct last week and they do look lovely.Looks like it will be relatively easy to re-gauge. For those who prefer new chassis, CSP Models do a kit for the Peckett and I'm sure could be persuaded to sell the chassis separately, when they can (CSP are now in new ownership following the death of Roger Slade earlier this year).

CSP will be happy to supply chassis only. It comes with EM spacers but not P4. Will find out how much they will cost and let you know next week. New owner is still busy sorting out the range. Taking longer than expected. Roger had hoped to be able to sort much more out before he unfortunately passed away and as a result there is unexpected work needing done before starting to supply orders.
SteamAle

Return to “Steam Locomotives”