Hornby Peckett saddle tank

chris_mccarthy

Hornby Peckett saddle tank

Postby chris_mccarthy » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:38 am

Did anyone get one of these delightful models from Santa and have any thoughts about the ease or otherwise of conversion to P4?

I have one coming in a few days time so it would be nice to have early advice.

In "another place" there is a short thread about them with some useful photos, motorised chassis dimensions, commentary and a video of one running on 00 track, but as yet nothing about the drive train (eg axle diameter) or of consequence about conversion potential.

Would be good if this loco could be a straightforward start to modelling in the new year.

Seasons greetings to all.

Chris

David Knight

Re: Hornby Peckett saddle tank

Postby David Knight » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:55 pm

I too am waiting with great anticipation for this engine. The service sheet is promising as far as the quality of the drive train goes and I suspect it may be possible to compensate the front axle with a bit of work. The great trick will be the wheels as there are no replacements available to suit the scale size of 3' 2 1/2" but it may be possible to turn down the Hornby ones. There are a few in the other place contemplating conversion so I'm sure something will be figured out. If worst comes to worst a narrow gauge industrial line may evolve ;)

Cheers, oh, and a Merry Christmas to all.

David

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:49 pm

I was going to respond last night but by rereading what I had written didn't make any sense to me! Must have had something to do with the warm weather here... only 35degrees... :o :o :o any how my favourite weather for Christmas.

Now to the Peckett. I too am wondering when I get around to purchasing one, how to re gauge it... when the time is right I suspect that Mr Gibson might make a special wheel or Ultrascale. This doesn't really help in the mean time. As I don't have a lathe.

I can see these little loco's becoming the entry point in the future to those new to P4 as from the reviews they absolutely crawl and do every thing they should!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

James Wells

Postby James Wells » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:30 pm

chris_mccarthy wrote:In "another place" there is a short thread about them with some useful photos, motorised chassis dimensions, commentary and a video of one running on 00 track, but as yet nothing about the drive train (eg axle diameter) or of consequence about conversion potential.

This review might be of interest -

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2016/1 ... -w4-r3427/

pete55

Postby pete55 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:34 am

To answer one question, the axles are 2mm in diameter....

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:41 am

Saw one of these in Model Railways Direct last week and they do look lovely.Looks like it will be relatively easy to re-gauge. For those who prefer new chassis, CSP Models do a kit for the Peckett and I'm sure could be persuaded to sell the chassis separately, when they can (CSP are now in new ownership following the death of Roger Slade earlier this year).

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:48 am

I believe that the Hornby Peckett has already sold out of the initial three models that were done. I can see a couple on an Amazon reseller at above list price but that is all that I have found - none of the usual suspects have them.

Whilst no doubt fresh batches will come in, you will probably need to wait for a bit.

I am also aware of the first ones "going under the knife" to make more individual (and rather less twee!) models. Try this blog to see what I mean: https://otcm.wordpress.com/2016/12/27/my-peckett-and-i/

It does look as if there is enough room between the crosshead/slidebars to get a P4 wheelset in. I will have a bash at some point, but first get a doner loco!
Mark Tatlow

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:19 pm

Given that the Peckett W4 was fitted with either 3' 0.5" or 3ft 2.5" wheels the Gibson
4836BH 3’ 0" 12.0mm. 10 spoke Black Hawthorn Plain PB 9" or
4839G 3' 3.5" 13.0mm. 10 spoke Industrial Garratt Plain PB 11"
could be suitable alternative wheels.

Gordon A

decauville1126

Postby decauville1126 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:26 pm

There is a substantial thread on the Hornby Pecketts running over on RMWeb.

Somebody has already EM'd one and the options for P4'ing are being discussed.

I'm loth to take mine apart, taking the coward's way and waiting for someone else to claim the development - and bragging - rights.

Seems to be that as there are not suitable flat-faced spoke wheels available at the present time, then perhaps retyring with Gibson wagon wheel rims may be way forward.

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:57 pm

chris_mccarthy wrote:In "another place"

I assume that you mean RMweb.

Some postings from Chris at 'High Level' . http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... try2553210
John

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:58 pm

As far as I can make out, one of the principle reasons for concerns about this conversion is the non availability of suitable wheels. If that is so, building an etched chassis, however good that is, would still have that same problem. If wheels were available, a conversion is entirely feasible, and given the comments about how well it runs, would be the obvious way to go.

Turning the Hornby wheels is an obvious option, as they will be very robust, given the availability of suitable tyres. One further thought. If the spokes are flat faced, it might be feasible to turn off a bit from the front face of the wheels centre, and then turn down the tyre to a P4 contour. Maybe something I should have a go at sometime...

Philip

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:42 pm

Having finally had my Peckett arrive I've taken a few measurements that might be pertinent to the discussion. The Hornby wheels will have to be turned down from their current 2.7mm thickness for a start. Gibson does have some 3'2" tyres that will suit so that should be one problem sorted. The real tight spot that I can see is in the spacing of the slide bars which are 24mm apart. By comparison the slide bars on my High Level RSH are 25.5 mm apart and even then we are talking fag paper clearances twixt cross heads and crank pins. Word from RMweb has it that the cross heads are a touch delicate on the Peckett and the Hornby crankpins will probably need some fettling before they sit properly in P4. And then there's the matter of suspension...

In short, doable but an etched chassis would be a big help.

Cheers,

David

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:30 pm

steamraiser wrote:Given that the Peckett W4 was fitted with either 3' 0.5" or 3ft 2.5" wheels the Gibson
4836BH 3’ 0" 12.0mm. 10 spoke Black Hawthorn Plain PB 9" or
4839G 3' 3.5" 13.0mm. 10 spoke Industrial Garratt Plain PB 11"
could be suitable alternative wheels.

Gordon A

I have a P4 Class X 0-6-0 Peckett, for which I'm sure I must have bought one of the above wheels described by Gordon.

If no one did/does Peckett wheels in P4, then there would either be no P4 Pecketts running about, or we compromise and use what products and/or methods we can.
Last edited by Captain Kernow on Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:32 pm

Re6/6 wrote:
chris_mccarthy wrote:In "another place"

I assume that you mean RMweb.

Yes, please can we call that forum by it's proper name. What's all this 'other place' malarky? We aren't the Houses of Parliament!
Tim M

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:50 pm

Those broad, flat spokes could possibly be done with an etch and a bit of filler, if another wheel is more or less right dimensionally?

James Wells

Postby James Wells » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:13 am

Captain Kernow wrote:Yes, please can we call that forum by it's proper name. What's all this 'other place' malarky?

I think some of us find it hard to use the terms "proper" and "RMweb" in the same sentence! ;)

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:37 am

James Wells wrote:
Captain Kernow wrote:Yes, please can we call that forum by it's proper name. What's all this 'other place' malarky?

I think some of us find it hard to use the terms "proper" and "RMweb" in the same sentence! ;)

For goodness sake there's no need to be so precious and insulting. So you would be happy that those of us who are on both don't bother to post any relevant links in the future then.

On to something more interesting than opinions.

The motion clearances are too tight so that the cylinders will have to be spaced out. They are cast as one piece in metal so spacing should be fairly straightforward.

As to turning down, the type of metal that they're manufactured in, this may be a little difficult as the last set of Hornby wheels that l turned down were made from a very 'unfriendly' and hard metal, unlike Bach wheels that are much softer. The wheel dimensions are 11.5mm across the rim of the plastic spokes and 12.8mm across the tyre tread. Correction...The axles are 1.99 mm diameter
More pictures here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... try2555873

002.JPG

009.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Re6/6 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

James Wells

Postby James Wells » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:03 am

Re6/6 wrote:For goodness sake there's no need to be so precious and insulting. So you would be happy that those of us who are on both don't bother to post any relevant links in the future then.

If you read what I put, you'll not find anything of the sort in my very brief comment.

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:24 pm

Re6/6 wrote:The motion clearances are too tight so that the cylinders will have to be spaced out. They are cast as one piece in metal so spacing should be fairly straightforward.

As to turning down, the type of metal that they're manufactured in, this may be a little difficult as the last set of Hornby wheels that l turned down were made from a very 'unfriendly' and hard metal, unlike Bach wheels that are much softer. The wheel dimensions are 11.5mm across the rim of the plastic spokes and 12.8mm across the tyre tread. The axles appear to be an odd 1.8mm size.

More pictures here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... try2555873

002.JPG

009.JPG

Thanks John, that's very interesting. I haven't really done much with my Hornby Peckett yet, other than gaze adoringly at it, so I have a question about your initial investigations - do you think that the old dodge of removing part of the unseen, inside part of the cylinder casting would do the trick, to provide sufficient clearance for the P4 wheels, or is this still going to come up against the problem of clearance between the back of the crosshead and the leading wheels crankpins?
Tim M

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:30 pm

James Wells wrote:
Re6/6 wrote:For goodness sake there's no need to be so precious and insulting. So you would be happy that those of us who are on both don't bother to post any relevant links in the future then.

If you read what I put, you'll not find anything of the sort in my very brief comment.

Hello James, hope you are well.

But do you think I am reading too much, then, into what you don't say, when you (or anyone else) mention RMWeb in such terms?

I'm not being an apologist for the 5% of nonsense/whimsey/ribaldry/ranting/aggressive on-line behaviour that you might argue can be found on RMWeb, rather I am speaking up in support of the 95% of good, interesting and inspiring material that there is to be found there (of course, not all of that 'good stuff' is relevant to P4 modelling).
Tim M

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:16 pm

John, interesting what you've found with this little engine. It seems from what I've read that the axles may be 2mm, but if they are 1.8mm some new chassis bushes could be turned up. If the tyre material is unpleasant, then there must be some tyres out there that could be fitted to the centres.

What hasn't been mentioned so far is that Hornby have actually modelled the slidebars at a decent thickness, instead of the sheet metal manufacturers usually use. They did this on the S15 and Castle/Star/King as well with such am improvement in appearance. Of course this can give clearance problems but we are used to that in P4.

Philip

Porcy Mane

Postby Porcy Mane » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:45 pm

Definitely 2mm. (At least mine are)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... try2551112

P

James Wells

Postby James Wells » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:49 pm

Captain Kernow wrote:But do you think I am reading too much, then, into what you don't say, when you (or anyone else) mention RMWeb in such terms?

For what was basically a sarcastic remark, probably...

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:12 pm

James Wells wrote:
Captain Kernow wrote:But do you think I am reading too much, then, into what you don't say, when you (or anyone else) mention RMWeb in such terms?

For what was basically a sarcastic remark, probably...

Noted, and fair enough, but we're above that kind of thing really, aren't we?

Happy New Year, anyway. Are you working over the holiday period?
Tim M

James Wells

Postby James Wells » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:39 pm

Captain Kernow wrote:Noted, and fair enough, but we're above that kind of thing really, aren't we?

I was always taught the railway runs on tea, overtime and sarcasm! ;)

Captain Kernow wrote:Happy New Year, anyway. Are you working over the holiday period?

Fortunately my winter week fell between Christmas and New Year so for the first time since I started I've managed a full week off for Christmas :) Back for New Year's Day, thankfully the Sunday timetable will ease me back in!

All the best for 2017 Captain! :D

Return to “Steam Locomotives”