Mechanical Lubricators and other Stuff

Serjt-Dave

Mechanical Lubricators and other Stuff

Postby Serjt-Dave » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:17 pm

Hi All. I'm building a Brassmasters 4F at the moment and whilst waiting for a replacement pair of wheels {due to me pulling the bloody tyres off} I thought I'd crack on and make the body. So whilst cleaning up the white-metal castings I was not over impressed with the quality of the mechanical lubricators and the safety valves. Is there anyone who produces decent WM casting or brass ones? I would prefer WM lubricators as I want to have the oil feeds coming from them.

Thanks

Dave

LenPinder

Re: Mechanical Lubricators and other Stuff

Postby LenPinder » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:50 pm

Try Markits. I received some very clean whitemetal castings of Silvertown lubricators from them. Their catalogue can be seen on line with the various items well illustrated.

Len

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:51 pm

Have you got as far as this bit yet?

IMG_8949.JPG

Quite fiddly but worth it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:13 pm

Very nice Jim, you even gold plated yours! Now that is just showing off. LOL.

I'm about half way through making the inside motion. Got to the stage where I needed to fit the slidebars to the cylinders but I wanted to have the running chassis working before I did this. However I have been waiting on the return of the front hornblocks which I sent off to Brassmasters to be reduced in thickness. They came back in mid November but in the process of fitting the wheels or in fact removing them off the axle I pulled the tyres off the wheels. So whilst I waiting for a new pair from AG I'd thought I get on with the body.

Thanks Len, I forgot about Markits. Will give them a look.

Dave

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:11 pm

Serjt-Dave wrote:but in the process of fitting the wheels or in fact removing them off the axle I pulled the tyres off the wheels.
Dave

If the components are not distorted, why not refit the tyres?
Stick with Araldite.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:14 pm

Hi Paul. I did re-glued one of the tyres back on again but had to remove the wheel off the axle and doing so the tyre pulled back off again but this time it split the rim of the wheel itself. So I thought it would just be better to replace them.

Len. I looked at the Markit range and they do some very nice looking lubricators and valves machined in brass, so happy days there.

Dave

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:44 pm

Are you using a GW puller by any chance?
A puller that pulls on the tyre will always be a problem.
You need a plate behind the wheel to transfer the load to the wheel hub.
Like a NWSL puller. Image
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

David B

Postby David B » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:56 am

I have a couple of metal discs of different diameters - thin old coins - each with a ⅛" slot which fit behind a wheel and use the hub puller (mine is a GW) on that to avoid pulling on the tyre.

One of the discs is a French 20 centime piece. I made it thinner on a belt sander but forgot my schoolboy physics concerning friction. I picked it up and dropped it rather quickly, but not quick enough to avoid the coin branding 'Republique Francais' on my thumb!

LenPinder

Postby LenPinder » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:32 am

Serjt-Dave wrote:
Len. I looked at the Markit range and they do some very nice looking lubricators and valves machined in brass, so happy days there.

Dave

Dave

The ones I still have are whitemetal, so I must have got them from somewhere else, maybe Comet Models part number LS40, which are now available through Wizrad Models at:

http://www.wizardmodels.co.uk/FrameSetS ... M=wizabout

Len

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:40 am

Hi Len, thanks for that and I wounder why I didn't of Comets. The only thing with the Comet one is that it has 6 holes per side, where's the 4F only had 4 per side, but they do have the round thing on the back of them which I don't think the Markits one have. I'll order both and see what works best.

Hi Keith and Dave. Yes I was using the GW wheel puller but I've done what you said and used washers to support the wheel when removing the axle. Thanks for the tip there.

I now have a rolling chassis which works fairly well and have made up the gearbox/motor, so next step is to run it under it's own power and if all goes well I can continue fitting the dreaded inside motion.

Thanks for all your help

Dave

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:41 am

20150620_150748.jpg

Speaking of mechanical lubricators....

Anyone know what sort this is (Silvertown, Wakefield, ...?) and whether I can get one with holes drilled for all these pipes, 6 each side I think. Loco is LMS Compound.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:57 am

Hi Julian. Both Comet and Markits lubricators have holes in the side of them. The one in the image looks like a six way type. Here are links to there websites.

Markits http://www.markits.com/

Wizard {Comet} http://www.wizardmodels.co.uk/FrameSetS ... M=wizabout

All Best

Dave

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:36 am

Thanks Dave!

Return to “Steam Locomotives”