Ex-Metropolitan Peckett 0-6-0ST

jls_s4

Ex-Metropolitan Peckett 0-6-0ST

Postby jls_s4 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:19 pm

Ready for traffic at last - Mercian Models etched kit with Gibson wheels and sprung hornblocks portrayed in 1935 having been overhauled and repainted in LT livery (lining was added sometime later). The Metropolitan bought two Pecketts in 1899, running numbers 101 which became L53, and 102 (L54). L53 was retired in 1960 and L54 the next year. Both were employed mainly for shunting duties at Neasden and Lille Bridge but occasionally strayed onto the main line.

The Mercian model was designed for vertical motor mounting on the rear axle but I managed, with the aid of a two-stage Branchlines Multibox, to bring the motor up horizontally into the boiler. Note to Scalefour webmaster, Mercian Models should be added to the Traders/Suppliers as it produces some interesting mainline as well as industrial kits.
L54_2e.JPG

L54_5e.JPG

L54_6e.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Ex-Metropolitan Peckett 0-6-0ST

Postby 45609 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:44 pm

Hi Jeff,

That's a really attractive loco. The LT livery, even unlined, really does look the business. What are the Mercian kits like as a P4 proposition? They do a number of interesting industrials that I have always found rather tempting.

Morgan.

jls_s4

Re: Ex-Metropolitan Peckett 0-6-0ST

Postby jls_s4 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:09 am

mlgilbert30 wrote:Hi Jeff,

That's a really attractive loco. The LT livery, even unlined, really does look the business. What are the Mercian kits like as a P4 proposition? They do a number of interesting industrials that I have always found rather tempting.

Morgan.

Trevor Cousens, the owner, was helpful to me when ordering over the phone (being in the Colonies I like to one-stop-shop if a can). He added an etch of EM frame spacers which worked out fine (I prefer EM as P4 ones can end up a bit tight). He also supplied the Gibson P4 wheels, sprung hornblocks and pickups, Mashima 1220 motor and Romford g/b - I subsequently used a Branchlines g/b though as mentioned above. The kit was interesting as it is based on the Lord Salisbury one with additional etches to suit the Metropolitan version. There were also two versions of the Metro etches, one (perhaps the first attempt) in NS, and a brass etch with finer rivetting. The result is that I have a lot of parts left over. The instructions looked good but contained many variations from the actual parts supplied - or missing in some cases. It was a good job that I had plenty of reference photos - and plenty of parts to adapt! For reference I used 4847I (3'11" 12 spoke) wheels. The saddle tank and lower boiler half came pre-rolled which made life a bit easier. Transfers were extra from Modelmaster. Paint is all acrylic from Polyscale, Accuflex and Badger (Milwaukee Maroon).

Here's another pic on a bit of LT display track.
L54_1e.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”