BACHMANN'S DERIVETTED DRUDGE

ken kirk

BACHMANN'S DERIVETTED DRUDGE

Postby ken kirk » Fri May 27, 2016 5:42 pm

Dear all,
Forgive the title, I nicked the idea from an Ian Rice article of some year's back.Just thought I'd put these pics out of a recent conversion of the characterful open cab 0-6-0T, popularly called a half cab. I couldn't resist buying one, even though this model is way out of my period of 1907 (ish).
By the time the "Bachmann" engine entered preservation, it had acquired a rash of rivets, most of which had to be hacked off. I used a fine scalpel with a blade stoned to a chisel point. These can be obtained from Swann Moreton. I'm afraid some evidence of wanton surgery is visible, but most of it turned out allright.
The frames were extended on the real thing, showing straight ends by the cylinder covers. On the Midland, they followed the covers' curves, so had to be reprofiled. The buffer beams have now got rounded ends and the tool box, which looked undernourished on the model, was removed. I have a better casting of one when I can find it.
The chimney was replaced with a Fowler one, the dome reprofiled to give a more rounded top and the Ross pop valves replaced with Ramsbottoms.
It also had "scale" couplings fitted. (they look grossly offensive, but this engine will work for its living).It also has a new pair of glasses turned up in the lathe.
This represents a Nottingham engine around 1924, when she received a new G5 boiler.
She's still out of period, but will be used until I build a round topped version using another Bachmann engine. I was delighted to find that
this can be built using the Bachmann chassis.She will then be held as a spare.
You will note that she's still 00 and will have to mend her ways. I'm informed that Brassmasters are to produce an Easychas for this engine ,so that's good news. See ya,
Ken
P1130504.JPG

P1130505.JPG

P1130512.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Will L

Re: BACHMANN'S DERIVETTED DRUDGE

Postby Will L » Fri May 27, 2016 6:25 pm

I recommend Masokits "screw" couplings, they combine a rather nearer to scale appearance while still being practical in use.

edited to add missing re
Last edited by Will L on Fri May 27, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Fri May 27, 2016 6:35 pm

This is very nice, Ken. Shows what you can do with a decent model as a starting point. Have you thought about the High Level chassis, if you want to get carried away with the underpinnings?

'Bromley's Berivetted Drudge' was actually Bob Barlow's idea; I remember him telling me that he thought this a bit more classy than Iain's original title - 'Bromley's Bucket Of Bolts'. I actually preferred Iain's...

Philip

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Fri May 27, 2016 6:52 pm

Ken, thinking about screw couplings I found a couple of pictures of recent ones I have made up.

W&T, new duchesse pin epoxy blob tommy bar, Brassmasters hooks jpg

Branchlines centres, etched links, Ambis hooks jpg

I don't know if the Branchlines centres are still available, but the W+T option is quite strong and very neat. There is also no opening up required of the holes in the etched links, as they are ready to go as they come. Small, by the way, refers to the picture file, I couldn't see any way of taking it off.

Philip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martinm

Postby martinm » Fri May 27, 2016 8:47 pm

Have you thought about the High Level chassis, if you want to get carried away with the underpinnings?

Unfortunately, the High Level is a 3F, with a longer wheelbase. We'll just have to wait for Brassmasters (or Bill Bedford)

Alternatively, getting the saw out is another option.

Hooks look cracking - but wouldn't it be nice to get them in one go!

martin

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:47 pm

Small, by the way, refers to the picture file, I couldn't see any way of taking it off.

Well, if those are small the large version must be quite something. Beautifully clear pictures anyway, and good looking couplings.
The 'small' is to be part of the file name so to get rid you would have to rename the file before uploading it. Odd though that the file name as displayed in the post and as displayed in the edit window are different. I assume you tried to edit the text in the edit window, I'm rather surprised that did not break the link to the file. Must have a play sometime to see what is going on.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Fri May 27, 2016 9:53 pm

Keith, thank you. I have just realised that I should have renamed the file before posting. I have also noticed that sometimes a picture displays the file name, sometimes not. The original pictures were quite big, although they were only taken with my old Canon S3IS, which is a 6MP camera. I do get bigger pictures with the new Leica V-Lux 4 (12MP) but sometimes I have the feeling that the Canon has the edge for model photography. How folk with SLRs that have 18MP or more cope I can't imagine.

To get back to couplings, I should have said that in both cases the hooks were single thickness etchings. I don't double them up as sometimes designed because I prefer a thinner hook, as it is easier to get the coupling pole in and out.

Martin, thanks for the clarification. I was simply showing my ignorance of railways of the North. I'm a South Western man - if the BR number doesn't begin with a 3 I'm all at sea.

Philip

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri May 27, 2016 10:03 pm

I have also noticed that sometimes a picture displays the file name, sometimes not.

I thought I knew how that worked, but comparing your post and Ken's I'd better keep quiet till I've had my play.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

iak

Postby iak » Fri May 27, 2016 10:32 pm

Will L wrote:I recommend Masokits "screw" couplings, they combine a rather nearer to scale appearance while still being practical in use.

edited to add missing re

Seconded by the Padgate jury... :thumb
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Sat May 28, 2016 7:34 am

Philip Hall wrote: How folk with SLRs that have 18MP or more cope I can't imagine.

BY resizing before publication. Large files are only necessary if you are going to print large pictures - say A3 and above. For web display, an image resized to around 850 pixels wide will typically only require a file of less than 250KB, and can often be made smaller without becoming too lossy.
David L-T

ken kirk

Postby ken kirk » Sat May 28, 2016 11:25 am

Thanks for the advice re couplings chaps.
They look a lot better than those I put on. However, I'll probably have to stick with them as I have difficulty manipulating scale couplings. Even when operating Ellerton Road (S7) I had a job to work them. Anyway they are well and truly epoxied in.
Thanks again,
Ken

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun May 29, 2016 1:53 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:
I have also noticed that sometimes a picture displays the file name, sometimes not.

I thought I knew how that worked, but comparing your post and Ken's I'd better keep quiet till I've had my play.
Regards

The result of playing is:
sometimes a picture displays the file name, sometimes not

Text put in the comment box does seem to show up in all cases but the file name and number of views seems to have a mind of its own.
And I can't see anything in the settings that relates to it.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Steam Locomotives”