Peppercorn A1 - What are these components?

LenPinder

Peppercorn A1 - What are these components?

Postby LenPinder » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:48 am

I'm in the process of building a model of a Peppercorn A1 pacific using a DJH brass and whitemetal kit. The model incorporates a lot of additional details, not included in the kit, but gleaned from photographs. There are two components I have added for which I can find no reference as to their function. The components are shown enclosed within the red ovals on the two attached pictures. The one on the smokebox I have guessed as something to do with lubrication but I could be way of the mark. The second appears to be some kind of pull wire from the cab to a lever under the running plate close to the motion bracket. Can anybody help., please?

Len
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Fitton

Re: Peppercorn A1 - What are these components?

Postby John Fitton » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:56 am

If memory serves me the pipes at the front are the steam supplies to a small electric generator mounted under the deflectors, similar to that fitted to LMS engines 46256/57.

John

LenPinder

Postby LenPinder » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:56 am

John

Thanks for the suggestion but I think it unlikely as these pipe fittings are also seen on the A3s, which did not carry said generator.

Len

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:43 am

Perhaps the Haynes Workshop Manual on the A1 has the answers?

My guess is that the fittings on the smokebox side are cylinder oil atomisers. Quite a good view of the rod beneath the running plate here: http://locoyard.com/2013/10/27/tornado-the-storm-hits-hampshire/.

martin finney

Postby martin finney » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:45 am

Hi Len,

The valve on the side of the smokebox is for the steam supply to the anti-carboniser one of which is below. The other anti-carboniser should be on the other side of the smokebox. I suspect the 'pipe' hanging below the running plate is in fact a Bowden cable for perhaps operating the drain cocks.

Hope this helps

Matin

LenPinder

Postby LenPinder » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:10 pm

John Palmer wrote:Perhaps the Haynes Workshop Manual on the A1 has the answers?

My guess is that the fittings on the smokebox side are cylinder oil atomisers. Quite a good view of the rod beneath the running plate here: http://locoyard.com/2013/10/27/tornado-the-storm-hits-hampshire/.

John

I purchased the Haynes Manual for just this purpose but found it singularly unhelpful, unlike the ones I purchased years ago for the Mark II Cortina and the Vauxhall Viva. I would never be able to set the timing or the spark plug gaps using this volume. I could, however, easily be persuaded by your suggestion of cylinder oil atomisers on the smokebox sides.

Martin's suggestion of the Bowden cable for operating the drain cocks is also quite plausible, given that a re-reading of the Haynes Manual makes reference to a cable outside the frames for just such a purpose and the identification of a lever to operate such a mechanism in a photograph in just about the correct position inside the cab.

Many thanks for your combined help.

Len

Return to “Steam Locomotives”