Midland Red

nberrington

Midland Red

Postby nberrington » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:57 pm

After too many months of "no mojo", Berrington's 3F nears completion.

So my plan is paint it like the version on LRM website - ie Midland Red with yellow lining.
My initial thought is Humbrol 20 "Crimson red".

Would this be near enough? Other suggestions. (I would get some Precision colours, but shipping is now an issue)

Regards

Neil

MarkS

Re: Midland Red

Postby MarkS » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:50 am

Hey Neil,

years ago, there were many months of "Letters to the Editor" about Midland Red, I don"t know if there was ever a conclusion - but it seemed consensus was LMS and Midland red were the same, subject to sunlight, dirt, soot, oily rags etc., etc., etc...

LMS locos Vol. 1 chapter 14 gives you the "painting Methods and Colour Shades - including the paint specifications, if you really want to "get it all right"! (I can scan it for you, if you wish).

However, I have found that Badger ModelFlex - DM&IR Maroon is the perfect match, and I have used it extensively. I also checked it against Precision LMS Red, and found I could not distinguish the difference.
I spray it over a red primer, and gives an excellent finish.

BTW, Humbrol Crimson is too bright for Midland red...
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:36 am

Looking at photos of the DM&IR livery, both full-size and on models, it shows just the sort of tonal variation characteristic of Midland red, so I would say Mark's suggestion makes a lot of sense (assuming it's easier for you to access Modelflex than Precision, which is and remains the only paint I personally would use for Midland locos). However, I just wanted to give a wider warning about relying on Humbrol colour matches, based on expeience gained in my 'other life' as a plastic kit builder. Unfortunately Humbrol tins are not all equal, either in colour or composition, there having been a number of problems over the years from factors such as failure to check production batches against the correct colour charts, hiccups with the return of manufacture to the UK from the Far East, and even occasions of the wrong content being put into a particular tin (or maybe just the wrong lid applied after filling). Reds are a particular problem (I have a two-thirds completed 1912 Dennis fire engine, currently on its fourth livery because so-called identical colours didn't apply true). So I'd be very wary of that Hu 20. If it's an 'old' tin and it's more like milk than jelly it will probably do very well for painting pillar (post) boxes. If it has a Union Jack printed on it, and insists on forming little blobs when applied, however much you have mixed it, then the tin might just serve as a paperweight (unfortunately too light to hold rails down when tracklaying - I know, I tried!).
David L-T

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:52 pm

MarkS wrote:?....
However, I have found that Badger ModelFlex - DM&IR Maroon is the perfect match, and I have used it extensively. I also checked it against Precision LMS Red, and found I could not distinguish the difference....

So the irony of living in a bilingual country is that Badger Model Flex is no longer available in Canada. This is due to the lack of FRENCH on the label! Ah Oui!

So - eBay, ship to Pembina, North Dakota, drive 90 minutes, pick up at secret PO Box and return.

The things one has to do.....

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:30 am

Funny that, I picked up some bottles last year in Halifax, Nova Scotia, last year and they have it in stock at Credit Valley Railway in Mississauga http://www.cvrco.com/index.htm.
Maybe it is a Manitoba thing? :shock:
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

Return to “Steam Locomotives”