LSWR 0330 Saddle Tank

nberrington

LSWR 0330 Saddle Tank

Postby nberrington » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:22 pm

Greetings all.

I'm in the throws of painting a Jidenco 0330 ex LSWR saddle tank.
I am struggling to find any colour guides as to the LSWR goods loco livery.

Martin Finney had one running on his layout in the lovely dark green with light green lining - a splendid looking little thing. As I recall the model is lined, but I don't recall the extent of the lining. It wasn't very elaborate at all.

In the Bradley book on early LSWR engines, there are some black and white photos - it looks like the cab sides and steps are lined by a single lighter line, but I have no idea about the cab front, rear and the saddle tank. Either the lines are extremely fine, or there aren't any.

Can someone guide me on this? My default is a plain dark green with brass cab-side numbering.

Regards

Neil

andrewnummelin

Re: LSWR 0330 Saddle Tank

Postby andrewnummelin » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:21 am

Neil,
Not being a LSWR enthusiast I don't have the book, but I'd bet you'll find useful information in "Southern Style" by John Harvey http://www.hmrs.org.uk/books/bookdetails.php?bookid=1038.

(I'm the HMRS webmaster so have an interest in promoting this book.)
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:22 am

Many years ago, I finished a Drummond NB Class R 4-4-0T in a fictitious livery of LSWR Goods Green with pale green lining, edged black, on most panels. I based the lining on advice from others (I think the late Bernard Baker might have been one) and models seen at South Western Circle meetings over the years. Basically, I lined everything you've mentioned; bunker back, steps, tank sides and front, cab sides and front, cab back and hanging plate. The livery green came from Precision but I can't remember the source of the green lining, probably an acrylic mix of my own to what I thought was the right shade.

None of this is a definitive answer to your query but I think that the lining was very fine (much finer than I was able to achieve) and difficult to see in black and white photographs. I also think that the edges of your saddle tank would be lined and edged in black as well. I tried to interpret the livery as it might have been applied, based on other tank engines and the like. A picture of Emily Rose (I gave her a name as well, to add to the heresy!) appears in the Members Portfolio section of this site, if it helps at all. Goods Green really is a lovely colour!

Philip

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:29 am

Thank you Phillip!

One quick question. I'm using the same paint (precision/ phoenix), but I'm getting a nasty eggshell finish.
I assume there is a specific thinner?

Regards

Neil

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:20 pm

I don't think so, I would have just used white spirit. I can't remember at this distance in time whether I sprayed it myself or whether it was done for me. I certainly did the lining but Chris Kedgley airbrushed the varnish for me. I doubt you'll notice the eggshell once it's lined and varnished.

Philip

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:48 pm

Nick, another thought.

In the latest South Western Circular (are you a member of the South Western Circle?)
there is a picture if Eric Penn's model of 'Ironside' and the saddle tank on that is clearly lined all over the place, panels, front etc. So I think you are quite safe in lining it as you thought.

Happy New Year!

Philip

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:21 pm

I seem to have created a wee pickle for myself. I put some Archer rivet transfers on the tank (as per prototype pictures.) Those close to the edge get close to where I think the green line should go. I either have to snug the line up against the edge, or go on the lee-side of the rivets, which would make the black edging quite broad.

I'm sure the lads in the paintshop in the 1895 were scratching their heads at the same problem. So why does this crazy Drummond character want us to repaint a perfectly respectable looking engine anyway?

The other issue is the upper front panel of the cab-side is quite narrow (maybe 6mm), so I am not sure if it should be lined out, left green, or left black.

The rest I leave to logic - the black edging would carry around the rounded corner of the bunker into the cab, and the underside of the tank would likewise be black. (?) The interior is that pretty cream-yellow-tan colour. I'm sure someone knows, but professor Google is uncharacteristically useless in this regard.

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:53 am

Some progress.
The green is much darker than this lighting lets on. It's near black in daylight. I believe that to be correct for the goods livery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:24 pm

Went with Bowpen and brush....

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”