Midland 0-4-4T tank fillers

John Palmer

Midland 0-4-4T tank fillers

Postby John Palmer » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:38 am

I seem to spend a lot of time completing models I started literally decades ago! Currently I’m working on a further Midland bogie tank for the purposes of the Burnham layout revival. I must have started the framing, etc for this sometime in the 1980’s, so the suspension consists of a pair of equalising beams that mount the driving wheel bearings, the rear of the locomotive being carried on the bogie via a rubbing plate. Here’s a shot of a ‘dry-run’ erection to prove the boiler fits satisfactorily over motor and gearbox.
Boiler fitting trial.jpg

Much of my recent time has been spent in manufacture of boiler fittings. I’ve substantially completed the ejector, as shown.
Ejector.jpg

The vacuum regulator gear for motor train control is also substantially complete, but I have yet to turn a pair of clacks, or deal with the tank fillers. And it’s these latter items that give rise to the query that prompts this post.

The prototype for this model is 58047, in the form in which it will appear on Burnham. Formerly numbered 1303, this appears to have been a ‘1532’ class engine forming part of Derby order 460, according to Wild Swan’s monograph Midland Engines No.1. However, this monograph deals with the ‘1833’ and ‘2228’ class engines, and as such does not assist with details of earlier engines such as mine.

My question is as to the shape of the tank fillers for 58047. In the monograph, the GA drawing for ‘1833’ class engines nos. 1351-70 (post 1907) shows these in elliptical plan form. But the GA’s for condensing engines numbered 1371-80 (‘1833’ class) and engines in the ‘2228’ class show the fillers having a circular plan form, albeit apparently mounted on an elliptical plate.

I think the elliptical shaped fillers are likely to be appropriate for 58047, the more so since I suspect that these may have been retrofitted to some locomotives, as I have assumed for my other bogie tank 58086. If someone could confirm which shape is correct, I shall be grateful.

Hardwicke

Re: Midland 0-4-4T tank fillers

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:54 am

Rather than looking in the monographs, have you looked in Midland Locomotives vol 3 Tank Engines? (also by Wild Swan)
Builder of Forge Mill Sidings, Kirkcliffe Coking Plant, Swanage and Heaby. Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:12 am

Elliptical
Builder of Forge Mill Sidings, Kirkcliffe Coking Plant, Swanage and Heaby. Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:16 pm

Hardwicke wrote:Elliptical

Fantastic! Thanks so much.

Unfortunately I only have the Illustrated Review, which I think must be the first in the Wild Swan series. As my interests have shifted somewhat to North British and West Highland subjects, I've been relying on books and materials I acquired many years ago.

Somewhere in my box of old turnings I may still have the stubs from which I made the fillers for 58086, so that may save me some time. I'll take a look.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”