J26 from a Dave Bradwell Kit

DougN

J26 from a Dave Bradwell Kit

Postby DougN » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:34 am

Well you could say that I am at it again. I purchased the Dave Bradwell kit about 2 years ago. This was after the Q6 was just about completed... I seem to be goo at getting to 95% and leaving things.. :evil: Any how sitting down as I have just had a week and a bit off I had again a look in the kit box and started to do more on the loco. It had been started at a exhibition about 2 years ago here in Melbourne and the foot plate and cab had mostly been erected along with bending up the chassis. So with this break from work... which I really needed.... I sat down to assess where the kit was up too. I started by trying the chassis set up on the Chassis2ed jig... which seems to work a little bit better this time aound I have a high level J72 chassis set up also on it but something moved as Flymo suggested in one of his threads...I think the problem was nipping up one of the jigs and the axle pulled off line. Any how back to the J26. So the chassis has be erected and partly detailed and I set too against the Boiler. One thing I do need to purchase in the future is a rolling mill. I think the boiler has rolled quite well by hand using a 12mm steel bar and a camping matt. Any how this is how the loco looked back on the 5/7
J26a.jpg

Now on the 14th it looks a little more detailed as:
J26b.jpg

So all is going quite well.

From my discussions with Dave Bradwell last year at scalefourum. He was going to redesign the chassis in line with the fold out horn guides that he used on the Q6 which from my point of view worked really well.

As with all of these kits they are enjoyable to build. One thing I did have trouble with this time was getting the smoke box to sit vertical and square to the footplate. This I tracked back to the rolled ring (2mm half round bar) on the boiler pushing the smoke box at the top. Once that was sorted everything appears to be sitting in the right planes.

Unfortunately I am back to work tomorrow so progress may slow down but as a distraction to the worlds problems 30min each day on this seems to work wonders...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

DougN

Re: J26 from a Dave Bradwell Kit

Postby DougN » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:10 am

Oh I should explain that the loco that I am aiming for is a York based loco in the thrities. There is one in the RCTS Bible Part 5 figure 235 The loco is numbered 412. This does give a number of the details I like, such as D shaped slots in the tender chassis, 2 coal Rail, twin NER whistles on the roof, I think it has the Diag 57 Boiler (short fire box, short smoke box). It is a pretty plain jane loco. It has the round cab windows. All of these variations are capable of being built from the Dave Bradwell kit.

If any one knows of any other photos of this Loco I would quite like to incorporate any other items onto the loco!

I am also going to use a highlevel gear box and Mashima motor, Gibson wheels.
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:33 am

Let's just say with a break from work ending this week will slow down things happening on the loco. It is a shame really but hours at work cut into family and modelling time rather dramatically :evil:. It seems though the new job is better than the last few, in being more stable and larger building projects! Which means the work will be better, continuous, and easier to deal with!

Any how roll on the week end and some more will be done.
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:02 am

Sorry to all. I was going to post this last weekend as I had about two and a half hours of good modelling time. So I spent the time building the tender as below
image.jpg

It was very straight forward and it was a good productive time. As per the instructions it practically fell together. On completion it will be a 2 coal rail tender. I might have another couple of hours this weekend and it should be just about finished. I have to agree with Dave Bradwell these tenders do run smoothly through pointwork. I suspect that I will have the tender finished before continuing the locomotive... I would like to think it will get a real push forward over the next few weeks. With a day at an exhibition booked in a couple of weeks... 9 hours building should just about have the loco put together then it is down to getting the running gear running nicely!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug

Jim Summers

Postby Jim Summers » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:51 pm

You certainly use your time, Doug.

Jim

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:51 am

Your right Jim, need to spend any time I get to do modelling efficiently... it is enjoyable to see something come together quickly. I can see why people say you retire and don't get anything done... I have so much in the family and work that any spare time i get I have to be efficient in the extreme. I don't like working to a time table in leisure time though with the running around with the kids and working longer hours it seems it is the only way to organise some regular modelling. Depressing on some levels but good on others.
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:58 am

Well thanks to all who are reading this. Maybe I should push all of my topics to a work bench :thumb

I seem to have got into the habit of thinking all week about modelling and then the weekend comes round with family duties and general stuff to do on Saturday. Sunday thankfully has become a day of rest and modelling. People who know me well know my work can be very stressful and long hours. It has taken almost 6weeks to get over the last lot.. Including a week and a half of leave. So it is my outlet to get on with building the kits I have collected. BTW the new job is fantastic :D the first time in about 3 years for this to occur! Any how today saw another 2 and a half hours sitting down building the tender for the j26. I decided on reviewing the green bible that they all ended up with the 2 rail tenders and I do like the look of this!
image.jpg

I think I seem to be getting good at the brass bashing! Every thing seemed to be ok. A couple of false starts on the tender inner body but that didn't even seem to be too hard!

From the top of the tender I have managed to get better at forming the flares to the tender sides. It is very subtle. From the top down it looks like this:-
image.jpg

Writing this in the lounge with the open fire going and a after half a glass of red wine I can face the next week.
Oh has anyone dug out a photo or 2 of the loco's allocated to York? I would appreciate it.
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:25 am

Oh forgot to mention the tricky little coal rail supports which you can't solder onto the flares to the top of the tenders. I thought about the problem and then coated them with black marker texta. This stopped them soldering as I was using red label rather than paste.

On that issue I think I refer the red label but the paste does have its use in the kit builders asernal of tools and potions that can be useful!
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:48 am

I have a bit of a cry for help. I have misplaced the instructions and more specifically the diagrams that come with the J26/J27 kit can any one scan them and send them too me?

I have asked Dave Bradwell but he hasnt been on for a while and I would like to resurrect the completion of this kit before I head back to the V2's

Thanks in advance! :thumb
Doug

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:42 pm

Sorry Doug, I wasn't aware you tried to contact me - you should have my email somewhere. I've found 3 of the diagram sheets scanned already so I'm part of the way there. Will track down your email and sort it out tomorrow - tried to attach them to a PM but that didn't look promising.

DaveB

pete55

Postby pete55 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:14 pm

Hello Doug,
could I ask what motor/gearbox combination have you used for your J26?

Pete

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:03 pm

Hi Pete, it's a highlevel gearbox and a mashima, which ones I can't remember. I have had to modify some of the body etches to let the motor fully into the fire box.

Unfortunately since Dave kindly sent me the instructions a mate of mine passed away and I have been cleaning up his house and doing the work of the executor. So I barely have had any time for myself! I am expecting this to take some time every weekend for the next 12 months! The silver lining to the current lockdown here in Melbourne might allow me to have some time to do some modelling as I can't get to my mates place... it's outside our 5km radius!

Doug
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:16 pm

Over the weekend other than it being rather warm and lovely here in Melbourne. I managed to clean and paint the loco body and tender for the J26.

I have taken on board what every one has been saying about using "bar keepers friend" which I found here in the local supermarket. The Loco body about 2 weeks ago was cleaned with Raco saucepan cleaner but had become extremely tarnished which was very disappointing. So as yesterday was a barmy 33degrees it was a good day to do the clean again and spray etch primer (Australian Dulux spray can- white in colour) it was extremely thin in coats but as the air temperature was so high it was a quick time to recoat. OK I was painting in the shade out side and then left the bodies in the shade. The top coat is Satin Tamiya spray pack. These are expensive but I find I can get such a good finish I am happy to pay the extra.

IMG-20220124-WA0001.jpeg

IMG-20220123-WA0001.jpeg

IMG-20220123-WA0003.jpeg

The roof and cab are not complete as the glazing to the cab needs to be fed from the top into the pocket. The roof will also have a couple of clips soldered to it so it "clips" onto the sides of the cab which will allow it to be glued in place in the future. In the mean time I can finish the back head and paint the cab interior. The Oxford rail J27 has a light painted cab which I don't think looks great but on the various threads there is a couple of options on the colours to paint it up. As an aside I do have a RTR J27 which I have put a crew in. I found the way the window reveals had been painted in "timber brown" looked totally wrong. As I had the matt black paint out for other things I carefully removed the glazing and painted the reveals. This has improved the look of the cab out of sight! The windows are actually the right size but the reveal colour and glazing make them look smaller.

The tender has a removable internal brake assembly, as previously the brake rods had suffered badly with the installation of the wheels inside the chassis. So this way the wheels can be loose and assembled in the brake gear then droped into the outer chassis and the suspension springs installed. This will be a total fiddle!

So as per all my modelling I get to a point and stop for various reasons, then years later they are pulled out and finished. So I would like to complete this loco and have it running in the next month or 2... The upper works are just about there I can see this week having transfers, bufferbeam painting, back head and roof. Then onto the loco chassis and making it go!

Doug
Doug

Winander

Postby Winander » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:24 pm

Doug,

That finish is really good, no doubt assisted by the slightly warmer temperature to any normally experienced in the UK.

I can't find any reference to 'Satin Tamiya spray pack' on the Tamiya website. Is it Tamiya Color Spray Paint which is a lacquer that you are using? I can't find satin black in that range, but there are semi-gloss and matt variants.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:45 pm

Richard, the Tamiya paint code is TS 29 (as corrected below)they are a small 100ml spray packs. I can confirm tonight when I am back at home. The cans can provide alot of paint very quickly and at a good atomization level so quick movements and short bursts on the button. (start off the model, then on, stop off the model) as the can delivers a lot of paint in the time, I find it is quick as reading that sentence.

Interestingly one of the local guys who has air brushed alot, is a bit disgusted at how good the finish is from the can! Which was very complimentary really. I have the same type of finish in winter as well the same style of prep. Ie warm the model on the room heater, along with the can... give the can a really good shake- 2minute work out! - spray outside race back inside... place model to dry on the heater again. :thumb

I must admit I am getting better with painting models but it has taken me years to build up confidence and skills. The spray can is good for black... it is how to do the LNER green to the V2's will be interesting! I will have to air brush that... my experience with that is incredibly small so probably better to start with the green and then the black after masking up... Tamiya masking tape will be used for that!
Last edited by DougN on Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:49 am

Just made it home to check yes it is TS 29 it is a semi gloss black.

I hope that this range is available in the UK. It is a little frustrating finding rhe UK has different ranges. In some ways i would love the rail match range to be available here in Australia!
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:14 am

Well I have been quietly doing a little each day to bring the loco to completion. It now has its transfers and the cab roof. I made 3 clips to the roof. 2 on one side that hold onto the top of the Cab strengtheners and the one of the other side flexes onto the strengthener. This allows the roof to be removed. It took me a while of thinking about this to figure out the solution! It was painted yesterday... bit warm at 35! the etch primer was extremely thin and worked a treat!

I have used some Meth fixe transfers which are old enough to vote! but still seem to be sticky once the metho activates the glue.

I find it interesting I am so enthused to get this loco finished now as the body is looking very finished, the tender is at the same stage. It is interesting how the mojo comes and goes with a project. There is a little challenge that Dave Bradwell has left and that is the internal gear. No I am not going to make it work but I am interested to see how I can make a good representation to go between the frames. I am thinking of a similar arrangement to the Highlevel J72 Kit.

Well better get back to work... more photos soon.
Doug

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:12 pm

Re your inside motion, Doug, a well known modeller just soldered all the layers together side by side, located by the axle hole and then cut out an oversized clearance for the axle and suspended the assembly between the frames. This assumes, naturally, that you don't want to make it all work!

DaveB

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:22 pm

Back onto the painting a little bit. On Thursday night I cleaned off the glue from the methfix transfers and gave the cab sides and tender sides a spray again with a tamiya semi gloss varnish. I am so impressed once dried, I can see no difference in the sheen level or colour of the underlying paint... these were only part sprayed. So a lot of the loco is not coated. I am a total convert to these little spray packs. Shame they don't make an LNER green :cry:

Oh does any one know what colour the inside of the loco cab should be painted I recall somewhere a debate on the Oxford RTR version being wrong.
Doug

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:54 am

DougN wrote: Oh does any one know what colour the inside of the loco cab should be painted I recall somewhere a debate on the Oxford RTR version being wrong.

What period are you modelling? The only known photo (in The Big Four in Colour) seems to show the top half at least of a J25 and J24 cab interior in red oxide at Darlington works in 1938 (p.84). Personally, I think that colour stands out too much on a model - more than it ever did on the real thing - and I paint all cab interiors "shadow" colour...

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:17 am

Thanks, Daddyman, I had been watching a cab ride of the J27 on NYMR. It has white cab sheets from the window sills up. I did paint mine to match but red oxide/ shadow colour does sound and look a lot better. The white is too stark. I even thought of a off white but your right it does need to be a more of a shadow style colour.

I have been looking at the chassis today but I set about building a exactoscale gearbox as an alternative to the high level one I already have in the loco. The axle components are too short at 21.9? Long and the current Gibsons are 23mm then my other problem is the gearbox is set up for what looks like 3/32 which I have the 1624 mashima with a 2mm shaft. So that may end up back in its bag for another 20+ years! Nothing like a heap of challenges! I do own a lathe now so is this going to be the first project to see what I can do to solve the problems.. for a Sunday afternoon this is taxing my brain somewhat!

Any how the brake rigging has been painted for tender. I modified the inner chassis with ears to match the existing fixing points so that the wheels can be dropped in without mashing the brake gear the way I did last time.. another little job completed was the sprung buffers are installed. I have left the buffer bodies in black as I remembered something about them supposed to be rather than red.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice comparison between the Oxford and my build. I'm seriously happy with the finish I have achieved.
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:54 am

Bit of a request does anyone have a photo of the between the frames view of the J27? I can see how I can put the connecting rod/ cross head but I'm still scratching my head on the valve gear. I think the valve gear goes between the con rods. I am just trying for a static view however I would like to be as close as possible.

Thanks
Doug

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:38 am

I have a reasonable photo of the valve gear on a model of a P1 in the NRM if that's any use - can't remember if they're the same.

The finish on your model is very good, yes. Unfortunately, you're going to have to remove the smokebox wrapper rivets for your period. I got caught out on it too - I think the instructions expect us, perhaps rightly, to know this. But I certainly didn't when I made mine nearly 10 years ago. I finally got round to removing them the other day. I'll then be able to mask off the smokebox for a touch-up respray.

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:05 am

Any photo would be great, thanks.

The photo I have been working off from the RCTS book isn't the greatest resolution. I'll think about removing the rivets though it isn't hard with a dremel. The painting is easy to match with the spray pack, or as I have died he before masked off the smoke box and cab sheets then painted in Matt black with the airbrush.
Doug

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:20 am

Not sure whether these show what you need:
20160902_103025.jpg
20160902_103030.jpg
20160902_103038.jpg
20160902_103126.jpg
20160902_103131.jpg
20160902_103137.jpg

Note that this one is LHS, looking forward:
20160902_103150.jpg

Return to “Steam Locomotives”