class 15xx pannier tank (with a bit of 97xx thrown in)

Horsetan

Re: class 15xx pannier tank (with a bit of 97xx thrown in)

Postby Horsetan » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:55 pm

jim s-w wrote:Thanks for that, any chance of a pic, is there any detail on them?

I'll get a photo up. AGW frames have zero detail on them, but the profile is generally correct.

There is a bit of a problem with the driving wheels, though: the 15xxs, perhaps uniquely, had a 4'7.5" 14-spoke wheel, with a large boss, and what appears to be a 12/24" throw, but the pin is on the spoke, not between. Ultrascale do not make this pattern, and the nearest AGW equivalent is a North Eastern pattern intended for, I think, the J27s.

Here we are:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:30 pm

Note also that the original K's coupling rods are ever so slightly too long, and are not an exact match for the AGW hornblock centres. This means we have to resort to using a universal rod etch....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu May 07, 2015 6:21 pm

Out comes the piercing saw. I've started work on the black-liveried body, rather than the green one.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu May 07, 2015 6:31 pm

Ivan

Are you feeling ok? Are you going to post the build on here? I hope you do. First question...sprung or compensated? Second question...have you decided on a motor and gearbox combo? And finally are you at Railex (Sunday would be a good day for you to avoid :twisted: that's if I can get my daughters flat cleared on Saturday!)

cheers

Mike

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu May 07, 2015 8:28 pm

Mike Garwood wrote:Are you feeling ok? Are you going to post the build on here? I hope you do.

I hesitate to do this, mainly because I find RMW's annotated gallery system easier to explain a build. Also, I think Jim wouldn't be too happy to find his own 15xx thread being interfered with by someone else's attempt.

First question...sprung or compensated?

Sprung.

Second question...have you decided on a motor and gearbox combo?

Clue: it's gonna be coreless, and there won't be any worms anywhere in it.

And finally are you at Railex (Sunday would be a good day for you to avoid :twisted: that's if I can get my daughters flat cleared on Saturday!)

Saturday only. Sunday is for the horse, and I might even be racing....

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon May 11, 2015 10:23 pm

Horsetan wrote:
Also, I think Jim wouldn't be too happy to find his own 15xx thread being interfered with by someone else's attempt.

Not at all, feel free

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Tue May 12, 2015 1:04 pm

Horsetan wrote:Out comes the piercing saw. I've started work on the black-liveried body, rather than the green one.

I guess you are now committed.....
(Or at least the loco is!)

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue May 12, 2015 6:03 pm

The only reason for using the black body is because the 15xxs were nothing other than black. Easier to use black plastic as filler.

Removing the old smokebox saddle is going to be horrendous.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:45 am

Hi Ivan

Are the frames, literally, just the frames or are there any spacers included? Any thoughts on cylinders at this stage?

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:42 pm

jim s-w wrote:Hi Ivan

Are the frames, literally, just the frames or are there any spacers included? Any thoughts on cylinders at this stage?

Yes, they are exactly that. Just frames. No spacers, no nothing. The brake hanger and hornblock positions are marked, but that's your lot. No guide marks for the cylinder position.

Cylinders: I have the K's whitemetal originals, so could use them as patterns / templates for scratchbuilt ones.

Valve gear is going to be a problem, as the old K's fret is not exactly accurate. I have universal jointed coupling rods from Dave Franks, and plastic brake gear from AGW.

Great start, eh?

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:44 pm

Hi All

Progress on my 2 pannier tank projects has continued with the 94xx body reaching the paint stage. Bachmann has recently announced a new RTR model of this class but i've never been one for waiting for someone else to do things for me. Those who know me will know that my interest is in the making things side of the hobby.

The 15xx tank has been a bit more back and forth. The cab roof has been swapped for the roof from the original 94xx body. It did need shortening a little as the 94xx cab is bigger. The roof detail on the 94xx is nothing like so that was all replaced with more archers rivets. I also spotted that the rear cab windows are much further in than the way I had them (and the 94xx) so these have been changed too. Incidentally the Ian Beattie drawing in the April 1985 Railway Modeller also had the windows in the wrong place too so it wasn't just me!)

For such a small class there's a lot of variety. the cab door handrails were shorter originally and one class member (1506) seems to have had both long and short at the same time. The lower smokebox handrail also seems to have been added later (perhaps when the steps were changed) and 1503 seems to have had straight horizontal handrails on the rear of the bunker rather than the L shaped ones the rest of the class had. These were also mounted lower down for some reason.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Richard.Ough

Postby Richard.Ough » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:59 am

Jim,

Please could you tell me which size of the Archer rivets you used for the detailing on the 94xx?

My brain is a bit fried at present, and I have great difficulty in trying to work out which is the correct size to use.

I bought a SE Finecast 94xx prior to the announcement by Bachmann, and I'd like to get it finished before the rtr version surfaces.

However, there is quite a bit of work to do on the body such as filling in the bunker steps on the rhs, whilst the rivet detail on the bunker, which is quite prominent on the real thing, is completely missing.

Regards

Richard

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:29 am

Hi Richard

I'm afraid I don't know. I've had a pack for years and the bit that identifies what sheet it was has long gone

Sorry

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:30 pm

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:56 pm

Jim Smith-Wright

Richard.Ough

Postby Richard.Ough » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:03 pm

Jim,

Thanks for the reply.

I'll just have to enjoy a trip down to DCC Supplies.

I can always call in at the SVR on my way down and measure a pannier bunker rivets just to be on the safe side!

Had my grandfather still been alive, he could probably have told me the head sizes, as he'd worked for many years at the repair shops at Cathays.

Regards

R

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:46 pm

Time to resurrect this topic

The original idea was to match the 94xx to a high level pannier or Collett chassis as a quick project. However after speaking to Chris at High Level he decided that the 94xx wasn't really like either and said he would be interested in doing a specific kit for the loco - the, at the time, recent announcement from Bachmann that they intend to look at the class too might have helped.

Top view of the chassis before fitting the wheels - at this stage I decided to give it a basic coat of paint. Below is the underside.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:11 pm

With the chassis complete and test fitted thoughts turn to the footplate.
Left hand side. One little point to mention, I mounted the valve gear rivet backwards on the coupling rods as the hollow appearance seemed to match prototype pictures better.
I tend to carry forward things from one project to the next and stuff I've worked on before seems much more obvious in the future. In this case the splashers are too big and the rear one is in the wrong place. so these will need changing. Somewhere in the history of owning the model the forward footstep has broken off and been long lost.
The lower part of the firebox is much wider than the upper part - no doubt to accommodate the RTR mechanism. So this will need looking at. It also means that the details on it are all a bit flat.
And after! I filed up new forward tank supports from a bit of H section. The forward steps are from a mainly trains etch, I replaced the steps under the cab too and the rear-most steps are knocked up from a bit of brass. The splashers were cut off about a mm from their base and remounted. the ones behind the toolboxes coming from a scrap chassis
I carefully cut away the lower firebox sides - leaving the front bracket in place and made new sides from plasticard. The injectors were an enjoyable little project, soldered up from bits of brass and tube. Below is a close up of either side.
Jim Smith-Wright

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:03 am

That looks rather encouraging. Just needs a decent chimney and safety valve bonnet to finish off.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:07 pm

Aside from the crew and some coal (plus a slight warping of the footplate) the 94xx tank is done. Here's a few images.
Jim Smith-Wright

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:37 am

I think that you have captured the character of a 94XX pretty well, Jim, but, as BR[WR] modeller myself, a few things stand out. Firstly that chimney. Secondly, GWR whistles came in two very different diameters, locos carrying one of each. Also 8403, like 94XX generally, carried a short whistle shield. Thirdly, the toolbox is not the standard type for a 94XX, and which she was carrying, at least on the nearside, in 1961, along with the altered lamp brackets after a stint at Bromsgrove [as you have shown].

Apologies if I seem unduly critical, but to me these really stand out...
Regards
Noel

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:42 pm

No need to apologise Noel. Feedback is how we improve on things we have missed.

For the chimney I think I'll go back to the Lima cap. I have a set of whistles from modelu that I can replace those with. I have to admit though I'm not all that sure what you mean about the toolboxes. What am I missing?
Jim Smith-Wright

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:56 pm

The body of the toolbox isn't tall enough, is it? I'm basing that purely on the photo here.
David L-T

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:26 pm

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/750_1_15937.htmlat the bottom of the page
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4566355 which also shows the whistle shield
https://www.flickr.com/photos/93456400@N04/14294193972

Dal-t's link also shows the same shape of toolbox. The side of the lid is still vertical above the hasp, before the quite sharp curve at the top with he hinges almost at the top of the curve. I assume it's a standard GWR item, as the 57XX have the same type in a similar location, where it is easier to see because of the narrower tanks.

http://www.railuk.info/gallery/notes/getimage.php?id=2412
Regards
Noel

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:26 pm

After Noel's feedback I've made a few tweaks to the 94xx tank. The chimney cap has been swapped back to the original lima one which was mounted in my mini-drill and 'improved' with a sanding stick. The whistles have been replaced with a shielded set from Modelu and the toolboxes have been made 20 thou deeper.
Jim Smith-Wright

Return to “Steam Locomotives”