38" Curves

Andy G

38" Curves

Postby Andy G » Sat May 16, 2009 6:47 pm

I'm not sure whether this should be here or under track and turnouts but does anybody have experience of getting 4-6-0s (probably Black Fives) around a 38" curve. The trailing cross over in front of the junction on Slattocks Junction is forced onto a curve and has resulted in a minimum radius of 38" through the cross over (mainlines are 46" or greater). Now the cross over will be used for goods trains in one direction to access the goods yard which is where the requirement for the black five to cross it comes in.

Do people think that this is achievable or are the compromises that are going to be required on the loco just pushing things too far?

Andy
Cheers
Andy
EBMA Hobby & Craft
https://www.ebmahobby.co.uk

Tim V

Re: 38" Curves

Postby Tim V » Sun May 17, 2009 6:10 am

I don't see a problem, PROVIDED the loco has been built to go round that curve. Most P4 locos won't do this as built.
Tim V
Scalefour News Editor

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun May 17, 2009 2:25 pm

Most of my layout having been built pre-templot I have a few spots with sharper curves than I would like, one of which is one of the shed entrances.
I just printed out a 38" radius curve to compare and it seems the shed entrance in question is near as makes no difference 38" radius.
Locos negotiate it, slowly, currently including Jinty, 4F, WD 2-8-0, Black 5 and Brit. The Black 5 being a Hornby conversion.
However this shed entrance is only used by light engines, i just tried propelling a couple of wagons through it and it is clear that all of the locos with leading bogies or pony trucks will not be able to propel on the front buffers.
I concur with Tim that the ability to take this curve needs to be built in, particularly in the tender coupling and the bogie mounting and clearances.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Andy G

Postby Andy G » Sun May 17, 2009 10:58 pm

Tim, Keith,
Thanks for your responses. I realised that we could build locos capable of running through a 38" curve but it was a question of whether or not the compromises to allow them to run round the tight curves would spoil their appearance. However, I presume that your issues propelling stock was to do with buffer locking, Keith? If that is the case then this curve is a non-starter as the stock will have to be propelled back once shunting has completed.

Andy
Cheers
Andy
EBMA Hobby & Craft
https://www.ebmahobby.co.uk

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon May 18, 2009 6:54 am

Buffer locking, yes, its OK pushing backwards, ie with the tender, the WD pushing from the front is hit and miss, the Black 5 and Brit miss every time. And I don't think there is scope for bogie side control to pull the front end over as its pretty well using all the sideplay in the drivers already.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Steam Locomotives”