Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

User avatar
iak
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:28 am

Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

Postby iak » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:25 pm

Evening all
Alistair Wright, 5522 Models in the past, has proposed producing an all new, modern standard kit for the Caley Jumbo 060's.
Interest is needed so if one is so inclined, go to: http://www.modellersunited.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=748

Projects like this need support and who knows what may be next?

Slàinte
IAK
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it....

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp


https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

David Knight
Posts: 620
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:02 pm

Re: Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

Postby David Knight » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:16 pm

I'm interested, but, what payment arrangements might there be for those of us who live over the seas and far away and have no UK bank account?

Cheers,

David

User avatar
Coronach
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:58 pm

Re: Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

Postby Coronach » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:17 am

I'm sure that can be accommodated. Would an overseas bank transfer be appropriate in your circumstances?
I don't know if Paypal will be available as an option yet but would that be helpful?

User avatar
David Thorpe
Posts: 806
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:13 pm

Re: Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

Postby David Thorpe » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:26 am

Overseas bank transfers tend to be prohibitively expensive. It's at times like this that PayPal really comes into its own. Even if Alistair doesn't do PayPal I'm sure that I or someone else could act as a middleman.

DT

charles davidson
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:49 pm

Re: Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

Postby charles davidson » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:13 pm

Dearly wish to express an interest in the Jumbo kit but when trying to register keep getting stuck at the puzzle box answer. There does not seem to be a puzzle to answer? Help!

Charles Davidson

User avatar
iak
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

Postby iak » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:44 pm

Has your browser got an advert blocker or/and java filter?
Sounds like something needs turning off so as one can see the puzzle.

:thumb
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it....

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp


https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

charles davidson
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:49 pm

Re: Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

Postby charles davidson » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:39 pm

Thanks for your help

Interest now noted via the good offices of Dave Franks just in case I'm doing something senior.

Charles Davidson

HighlandRailwayman
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:10 am

Re: Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

Postby HighlandRailwayman » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:13 am

Count me in for a P4 version, sprung, in 1950's condition - will be perfect for that model of Connel Ferry i one day intend to build (lottery win permitting!). :mrgreen:

I tried to register for the moddellers united site, but work uses a very outdated version of explorer so the site wasn't loading properly.

If its anything like Alistairs other kits then it ought to be a belter.

Just let me know where to send me cheque to! :thumb

Martin

User avatar
Coronach
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:58 pm

Re: Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

Postby Coronach » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:28 am

Gents. I'm doing a head count on all those interested in one or more of these proposed kits.
Can you please send an email headed 'Jumbo' to brindlesmith@aol.com indicating your interest and quantity of kits required.
I will then collate and total the numbers required for forwarding to Alastair.

Thanks.

Dave.

User avatar
Russ Elliott
Posts: 930
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:38 pm

Re: Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

Postby Russ Elliott » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:00 pm

[Previous message content deleted.] - Sorry, I got the wheelbase of the Jumbo wrong, and there are already a couple of plots for 7'6" x 8'9" wheelbases on on the CSB page, so no new diagram would seem to be needed.

I think the CSB design problem with the kit, if it is to encompass a CSB, will not be the longitudinals, but deciding on what hornblocks/carriers are expected to be adopted by the user, as this will determine the height axis of the beam. Generically, the kit etch could include thin vertical half-etch lines for the longitudinals, leaving the user to mark the height line.

User avatar
David Thorpe
Posts: 806
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:13 pm

Re: Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

Postby David Thorpe » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:09 am

Unfortunately, this project fell by the wayside. However, it may be on again. Pete Stanger of 52F kits has indicated he might be prepared to venture outwith his normal NE/NB territory and produce a CR Jumbo if there's enough interest from Caledonian modellers. Early in 2015 he hopes to carry out a feasability study and if the project turns out to be commercially viable he'll hopefully produce a kit. He suggests that a break-even scenario would be around 15 advance orders with deposits of £25 paid in advance when he decides to go ahead with the project. Until he's properly studied the drawings he can't give an idea of the likely cost of the kit, but those of you familiar with 52F products will know that you'll be getting a quality kit at a reasonable price. I understand from someone who has built 52F kits that while there is unlikely to be provision for CSBs, Pete does a very competent combined drive/ suspension set-up that is tailor made to each loco type. High-Level style gears and Mashima motors are standard and kits tend to be optimised for EM and P4.

I did suggest to Pete that after the Jumbo he might like to consider doing a Pickersgill 4-4-0 and he seemed quite open to that suggestion, same conditions as above though obviously not until the end of 2015.

If you'd like to express interest in one or both of these kits (and the more expressions of interest there are the more likely we are to get a kit) I suggest that you contact Pete directly. His email address is on the 52F website at http://52fmodels.sharepoint.com/Pages/default.aspx

DT

User avatar
iak
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

Postby iak » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:23 am

Done... :thumb
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it....

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp


https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

David Knight
Posts: 620
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:02 pm

Re: Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

Postby David Knight » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:36 pm

Having checked the website it appears that 52F uses a form of 'flexichas' suspension. Has anyone had any practical experience of it?

Cheers,

David

User avatar
Will L
Posts: 1623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

Postby Will L » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:44 pm

David Knight wrote:Having checked the website it appears that 52F uses a form of 'flexichas' suspension. Has anyone had any practical experience of it?


Flexichas was Mike Sharman's name for what we now simply refer to as compensation. He was the first one to push the idea and provided the necessary bits and pieces for his method of implentataion. He also produced a book, but numerous articles have appearer about applying compensation over the years. This link will tell you more than you want to know.

User avatar
David Thorpe
Posts: 806
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:13 pm

Re: Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

Postby David Thorpe » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:15 am

My understanding is that for an 0-6-0 we can expect the chassis to be fully compensated on all six driving wheels, probably with the leading driving axle in hornblocks and the other two pairs working in a compensation unit incorporating the drive train and a motor mount for a Mashima motor - certainly that is the system used by 52F for most of his wide range of loco chassis, including the LNER "J" classes. (http://52fmodels.sharepoint.com/Pages/J26_J27.aspx).

DT

David Knight
Posts: 620
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:02 pm

Re: Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

Postby David Knight » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:24 am

Thanks Will,

Figure 47 seems to sum up the idea quite nicely as one axle seems to rock and the remainder are compensated by side beams. I suppose if the geometry is correct it should work as well as CSBs, maybe not quite as smooth?

Cheers,

David

User avatar
Will L
Posts: 1623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

Postby Will L » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:20 pm

David Knight wrote:Figure 47 seems to sum up the idea quite nicely as one axle seems to rock and the remainder are compensated by side beams. I suppose if the geometry is correct it should work as well as CSBs, maybe not quite as smooth?


A simple Flexi Chassis has one rigid axle which means that, while they can be relied on to deal with track irregularities, they have a nasty habit of lurching visibly when they meet one. An all axles compensated solutions as shown in fig 47 of the CALG document I pointed you at, much reduces, but does not eliminate, this effect. All else being equal a sprung chassis will produce a better ride and I'm inclined to think that doing the job with a CSB is actually mechanically simpler and easier to do.

If you do go for compensation, you still need to watch where the loco CofG is as this will affect how the chosen arrangement will distribute the loco weight (not always what you might expect intuitively), and the loco stability if the CofG isn't placed well within the stable triangle as that CLAG document explained here. A fig 47 style chassis should do a perfectly acceptable job just so long as the CofG is positioned over the chassis mid point.

User avatar
David Thorpe
Posts: 806
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:13 pm

Re: Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

Postby David Thorpe » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:12 pm

I've now been informed by Pete that this kit will definitely be going ahead. He hopes to start work on it in May, so with any luck it'll be ready later in the year.

The variations on the loco will be covered by supplying two boilers, one Drummond and one Lambie and by using the later McIntosh frames that most if not all received eventually. There will be 3 domes and 3 chimneys including the (awful?) Midland stovepipe and a couple of smokebox doors, one original and one Midland type. The tenders will be a choice of the Drummond 2,500g and the Lambie 2,800g tender (Y36). These two tenders will cover about 75% of the Jumbos. Tender choice will of course be an "either or", not both!

DT

User avatar
Coronach
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:58 pm

Re: Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

Postby Coronach » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:49 am

Just a small update regarding this kit. Pete advises that there was a delay due to sorting out the fineries of the casting for the flared coping on the tender (this also applies to the Scott 4-4-0 which is ahead of the Jumbo in the production queue). This has now been ironed out so we should see the Scott very soon and then Pete's attention will focus more closely on the Jumbo.
Regarding the 'flexichas' system he uses, I have built one of his J27 chassis which employs this system and can state that it runs very nicely indeed.

Dave.

HighlandRailwayman
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:10 am

Re: Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

Postby HighlandRailwayman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:32 am

Coronach wrote:Just a small update regarding this kit. Pete advises that there was a delay due to sorting out the fineries of the casting for the flared coping on the tender (this also applies to the Scott 4-4-0 which is ahead of the Jumbo in the production queue). This has now been ironed out so we should see the Scott very soon and then Pete's attention will focus more closely on the Jumbo.
Regarding the 'flexichas' system he uses, I have built one of his J27 chassis which employs this system and can state that it runs very nicely indeed.

Dave.


Has anything more ever become of this proposal. The 52f website doesnt seem to mention anything about it and wondering where it had got to.

Martin

John Palmer
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

Postby John Palmer » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:12 am

HighlandRailwayman wrote:
Coronach wrote:Just a small update regarding this kit. Pete advises that there was a delay due to sorting out the fineries of the casting for the flared coping on the tender (this also applies to the Scott 4-4-0 which is ahead of the Jumbo in the production queue). This has now been ironed out so we should see the Scott very soon and then Pete's attention will focus more closely on the Jumbo.
Regarding the 'flexichas' system he uses, I have built one of his J27 chassis which employs this system and can state that it runs very nicely indeed.

Dave.


Has anything more ever become of this proposal. The 52f website doesnt seem to mention anything about it and wondering where it had got to.

Martin

The Scott project is covered at the foot of the newsletter page at https://www.52fmodels.org/newsletter, shown as updated on 31 July this year, so presumably reflecting the current state of play. The upperworks pictured there look very tasty. Lost wax castings sounds like a novel but apparently effective solution to the problems of reproducing the tender copings; more details at https://www.52fmodels.org/reid-4-235g-tender.

The development work that's been done on the Scott and its tender should make a Glen a sitter for a follow-on project, one which would have more appeal to me as an aficionado of the West Highland , where Scotts were rare visitors.

HighlandRailwayman
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:10 am

Re: Caley Jumbo modern kit proposed

Postby HighlandRailwayman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:05 am

:
John Palmer wrote:
HighlandRailwayman wrote:
Coronach wrote:Just a small update regarding this kit. Pete advises that there was a delay due to sorting out the fineries of the casting for the flared coping on the tender (this also applies to the Scott 4-4-0 which is ahead of the Jumbo in the production queue). This has now been ironed out so we should see the Scott very soon and then Pete's attention will focus more closely on the Jumbo.
Regarding the 'flexichas' system he uses, I have built one of his J27 chassis which employs this system and can state that it runs very nicely indeed.

Dave.


Has anything more ever become of this proposal. The 52f website doesnt seem to mention anything about it and wondering where it had got to.

Martin

The Scott project is covered at the foot of the newsletter page at https://www.52fmodels.org/newsletter, shown as updated on 31 July this year, so presumably reflecting the current state of play. The upperworks pictured there look very tasty. Lost wax castings sounds like a novel but apparently effective solution to the problems of reproducing the tender copings; more details at https://www.52fmodels.org/reid-4-235g-tender.

The development work that's been done on the Scott and its tender should make a Glen a sitter for a follow-on project, one which would have more appeal to me as an aficionado of the West Highland , where Scotts were rare visitors.


Thats excelkent thanks. Know where to keep an eye on in the future. :D


Return to “Steam Locomotives”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests