High level kits 14" Robert Stephenson Hawthorn

DougN

High level kits 14" Robert Stephenson Hawthorn

Postby DougN » Sun May 19, 2013 4:39 am

I have a hankering for another of Chris Gibbons master piece locomotives. Has any one built one of these as I would like to know what I need to order now so every thing turns up at the same time. My thoughts are Gibson Wheels with a Mashima 1220 (as I have a couple in store) Do I need anything else such as hornblocks etc. My preference is for springing but Chris usually makes allowance for compensation on the front axle. I am aware that Ted Scannell of the Clagies did spring one of the kits but I can't remember if it was the RSH or the Hudswell Clarke.

So if I get my proverbial into gear it will be another J27 and a RSH build! Rather than the Q6 and the Black Hawthorn!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

RobM

Re: High level kits 14" Robert Stephenson Hawthorn

Postby RobM » Sun May 19, 2013 8:55 am

Doug, I am about 90% into building the same. I was persuaded by a couple of members of NAG to go down the csb route and there is just room at the gearbox end.

rsh-chassis.jpg

I used High Level standard hornblocks on the front axle and spacer savers on the rear along with the standard and space saver CSB carrier tags. Used Alan Gibson wheels and Ultrascale crank pins.
Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Clive Impey

Postby Clive Impey » Sun May 19, 2013 9:22 am

Doug. I built my High Level RSH exactly as the instructions so mine is compensated. It has a mashima 1224 with a flywheel. The one real problem I had was fitting collectors. In the end I made a scale drawing of the underside of the chassis with all the obstructions marked and built the collectors over this drawing so that when fitted to the loco a minium of adjustment was needed.

CliveLincs.

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Sun May 19, 2013 2:22 pm

Rob,

I have a 14" RSH 'maturing' that I have considered springing. How did you rig the torque reaction link?

Cheers,

David

RobM

Postby RobM » Sun May 19, 2013 3:41 pm

davknigh wrote:How did you rig the torque reaction link?

David, that job falls into the remaining 10% to be done...........
Rob

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun May 19, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks RobM and Clivelincs, It is the one additional level of challange from this side of the earth to "see" what extras are needed for a kit... it is a little difficult to drop in on the next exhibition to pick up missing items.

Rob, did you use the Highlevel springy jig thing to work out the spacings? if so I will have to order one of those too!

I know that this kit along with the gearbox for the J27 (load haul 54:1) won't take long to get if ordered today from Chris. He is so efficient with getting things in the post!
Doug

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun May 19, 2013 9:19 pm

DougN wrote:I know that this kit along with the gearbox for the J27 (load haul 54:1) won't take long to get if ordered today from Chris. He is so efficient with getting things in the post!

Doug,

It may take a little longer than usual for Chris to deal with orders. At 4pm today he was still on his stand at ExpoEM, probably a good 300 miles from home! We were having a good discussion about bevel-drive Ducatis, and classic British bikes :-)

I'm sure that it will only be a couple of days before he's back in full swing after the show and normal service is resumed.

HTH
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Sun May 19, 2013 9:52 pm

And after driving 300 miles home, counting stock, etc. I expect Chris has to turn round and drive almost the same 300 miles to RailEx next weekend.

Nigel

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun May 19, 2013 10:11 pm

nigelcliffe wrote:And after driving 300 miles home, counting stock, etc. I expect Chris has to turn round and drive almost the same 300 miles to RailEx next weekend.

Nigel

Yes... I'd forgotten that!

Can't go to Railex, so it's not on my radar :-(

Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon May 20, 2013 2:51 am

Well no doubt that Chris will do his best to process and post once I have issued the order tonight!

Gees you lot think 300miles is a long way! I have been known to drive that and return in one day! Melbourne to Portland any one.... :twisted: Wouldn't do it if some one wasn't paying though.
Doug

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon May 20, 2013 5:57 am

DougN wrote:Rob, did you use the Highlevel springy jig thing to work out the spacings? if so I will have to order one of those too!

Yes......I found it essential.
Rob

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue May 21, 2013 10:34 pm

DougN wrote:I have a hankering for another of Chris Gibbons master piece locomotives. Has any one built one of these as I would like to know what I need to order now so every thing turns up at the same time. My thoughts are Gibson Wheels with a Mashima 1220 (as I have a couple in store) Do I need anything else such as hornblocks etc. My preference is for springing but Chris usually makes allowance for compensation on the front axle. I am aware that Ted Scannell of the Clagies did spring one of the kits but I can't remember if it was the RSH or the Hudswell Clarke.

Hi Doug,

Is it this one that you were thinking of?

http://www.clag.org.uk/coronation0-4-0.html

No mention of how it is sprung, but Bill may know the model and be able to comment.

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Tue May 21, 2013 11:17 pm

It's got a 3-fulcrum CSB. Not ideal, in my personal view, for a short-wheelbase 0-4-0. There are some pragmatic advantages though.

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed May 22, 2013 2:58 am

thanks for that Russ. I thought that Ted had done a spring... then again RobM above has managed to do it. I am still keen to get the order off as long I can find some time at home to actually send it to Chris!
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri May 31, 2013 11:26 am

Well finally sit down to fire off an order and with that his website has gone down.

I have sent a email to Chris about it but can some one mention to Chris if they see him that the site is not functioning at the moment... well from my wet location in Melbourne :(
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:58 pm

Well things are moving along ok. The kit is on its way from Chris. Left the UK on Tuesday so I guess it will tune up mid next week. So when it does I will start posting more regularly. In the mean time does any one have a few prototype photos I wouldn't mind seeing what they looked like when running from the point of liveries and weathering.
Doug

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:37 pm

Hi Doug,

You may find this interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1NkSq0q ... 14&index=7
I believe this is the engine on which Chris based the kit.

Cheers,

David

martinm

Postby martinm » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:34 pm

The post title and High Level say it's a 14in RSH 0-4-0ST.

The video link shows "Robert Stephenson and Hawthorns 0-4-0ST Sir Cecil A Cochrane."

The Tanfield site list has: "SIR CECIL A COCHRANE is an 0-4-0ST with 12 x 20″ outside cylinders, 3ft 1in diameter driving wheels."
but it also has: "No.21 is an 0-4-0ST with 14 x 22″ outside cylinders, 3ft 6in diameter driving wheels"
and that has a picture "21 is the engine in steam, hauling Sir Cecil A Cochrane and Irwell"
There is a noticeable difference in size between the two!

There are quite a few RSH locos shown in "Industrial `Steam Locomotives, Hall V F" though only b/w they show locos actually in operation.
Googling will also find a flickr gallery and quite a lot of info pages which will help (or confuse?)

It looks as though deciding WHAT to build wil be just as difficult as HOW.

martin

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:10 am

Thanks Martin.... I think... :D . I have found that Abes books has one listed. I am not sure if it is worth buying. I may ask the finescale group here in Melbourne if any of them have the book. I am waiting on Aussie post to deliver the kit. The first thing I will have to get a set of industrial sprung buffers and a set of wheels from Alan Gibson. Though I don't know what the spec's are for the wheels. I'm looking forward to this kit. :D
Doug

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:53 pm

DougN wrote: Though I don't know what the spec's are for the wheels.

Doug, the wheels are 3' 6" 10 spoke............ I used Alan Gibson LNER Y7 wheels.......ref G4842E
Rob

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:16 pm

Thanks Rob, the one up grade to all websites selling kits that I would like to see is they all have the instructions on line in PDF format. This way buyers could read what else is required along with those that have lost or destroyed the instructions. Honestly I have a dog that enjoys destroying paper and boxes.....so in some point in the future i can see the need for another set.

Wandering off track for a bit. I wonder if the "kit makers" would find a wiki style of instructions sheets. Ie so builders could help by making suggestions and corrections to be incorporated into the kits. I am certainly not suggesting it for Chris and high level as the instructions, fit and finish are great.but I am suggesting it for other suppliers who need a little bit of extra assistance. I guess by discussing the kit builds here and on rmweb and other forums google will find them for the future.
Doug

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:42 am

DougN wrote:Wandering off track for a bit. I wonder if the "kit makers" would find a wiki style of instructions sheets. Ie so builders could help by making suggestions and corrections to be incorporated into the kits.

Now that is an interesting idea.

Will

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:27 am

Will, every so often I do come up with a good idea! :)

The thought occurred to me when building the q6.... Just taken me a long time to put it in writing.
(Aussie post still hasn't delivered)
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:56 am

Well nice surprise on Friday night when I made it home from another gruelling day at work. A package from the UK. Yes I now have the kit and have read over the first 2 pages of instructions.which are to Chris's high standard as usual! I'll drag out the camera and take a happy snap of what is in the box!
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:59 am

Well after intentions to make as start on the kit on Saturday... then again a trip to Ikea put paid to that along with feeling terrible with a virus (which is still holding on for dear life! :evil: ) nothing other than a photo of what comes in the box :-
DSC_0363.JPG

So Sunday came around with a walk of the dog... lunch.. then down to some work. So after 3 hours on and off produced this:-
DSC_0364.JPG

DSC_0365.JPG

The saddle tank/ smoke box is just bolted in position at the moment but so far so good. This is about 2 pages of the instructions, prior to the tank saddle being fixed there is a fair bit of detailing to injectors etc to be done. I will also have to do the clean up of the soldering also. We have a supply of flap style wire wheels which I find complete the clean up extremely quickly!

I am really enjoying this so far so maybe I will do some more during this working week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug

Return to “Steam Locomotives”