Caprotti Standard Class 5 Photos

James Moorhouse

Caprotti Standard Class 5 Photos

Postby James Moorhouse » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:35 pm

Dave Holt provided a number of photographs to accompany his book review in Scalefour News 181. Because of a lack of space, it was not possible to include all of them. With Dave's permission I attach the additional photographs, along with Dave's commentary:

Here are some of the photos I took of Caprotti Standard Class loco, 73129, at Butterley. Sorry about the quality of some - the lighting wasn't great and I didn't have a flash - we're talking 35mm film here, not digital!

The photos cover:
Lubricators and mounting bracket - including a lubrication piping drawing which clearly shows the bracket in relation to the rear coupled wheelbase - allowing scaling (naughty, I know - but OK for small cosmetic details). The large pipe connected to a built-in passageway in the bracket, is the exhaust steam supply from the blast pipe to the exhaust steam injector mounted below the RHS of the cab.

Cab and injector support arrangements - Near the top is a substantial bracket between the cab support frame and the main-frames, confirming my statement in the review about the cab not being mounted from the boiler on these locos. In the centre is the exhaust steam injector mounting bracket. The delivery end of the large exhaust steam pipe mentioned above is seen on the right.

The live steam injector is mounted on the inboard side of the same bracket as the exhaust injector.

Hope these photos will be of assistance to anyone wishing to model one of these locomotives.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”