SR 0-6-0 E2's - Latest build complete with Video Operation

Andy W

Re: SR 0-6-0 E2 (Extended tank versions)

Postby Andy W » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:20 am

Well done Mr K! It works a treat. Did you you use a jig to quarter your wheels? I think this thread highlights a problem with some of the "dodgy" products out there, as well as the value of forums like this. Knuckles could have given up and assumed the problem was him, but he didn't and having been pointed in the right direction did a great job.

I wonder how many others have given up in the past, and assumed they were at fault?

I think it pays to avoid those kits, gearboxes etc. that have been superseded by better designs. Forums (especially this one!) and area groups can supply the info.

Going back to putting a flat on the axle - I'm just building a chassis using the same components and was getting a slight variation in speed when running very slow. I put a flat on the axle which allowed the grub screw to be only lightly screwed down. It solved the problem - but obviously has to be done before the wheels are added!

Well done Knuckles, bask in the glory and allow yourself a few days of smugness.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:55 pm

"pr*ck in a bowler 'at" fit. (though at Horwich that was what they called the Superintendent).

Or a 'Willy in a Welly' as my Dad says.
Well Knuckles, my hat is off to you, I must say. To be honest, I never thought you were going to get that chassis working in an adequate manner. But what do I see? Not only a working chassis, but also laid and ballasted track, some fairly complicated pointwork, and a string of wagons. And all things considered, you've not only done that in a remarkably short time, but (forgive me!) have also sometimes used methods which might not always satisfy the purists but which very much appeal to bodgers like me! Careful though - if you carry on like this, Terry will be after you to do demos next!

DT

Thanks. :) Have you not seen the progress on the layout and things? it's in the wagon section, track section and layout section, 1st P4 layout etc. If I was to eever do exhabition things it would be Sunday only - which is an issue usually.

but (forgive me!) have also sometimes used methods which might not always satisfy the purists but which very much appeal to bodgers like me!

I think I bodge for several reasons.

1) I don't have all the knowledge and skill to do certain things properly.

2) Sometimes I don't want to go 'all the way' and do it as perfectly as possible - some things to my way of thinking are just too much of an unnessasary faff about to do so, and me being the type of person I am, I tend to often find my own way of doing things. I've very much a non conformist in many ways in this life - but I think you guys get that impression to a degree! Sometimes my own ideas work, other times they don't, if they don't then I adapt to known ways more. Truth is, I find this world tends to go about some trhings in the hardest most complex way, and I often see it as pointless. Excessive H&S is an example.

3) To be blunt - I'm just not that clever in a mathematical way. When I'm reading the digests and I come accross Algibra and Trigenometry my mind goes all numb and I percieve zero% of the information presented, and thusly zip past. I'm a 'Cut it fat and file it back' modeller, prefering to 'see' and 'feel' my around things, rather than muck about with Micrometers, calculations and whatnot. So far the method has never failed me. I'd probably be much better if I did do things the 'proper' way but that's why we all have our minds configured differently.
On RMweb someone gave me pointers on how to accurately draw curves using a mathematical grid, and a formula that helps plot things. He then went on to say any other method is 'cheating'. Well, maybe you are on here, and I appreciate your help and no doubt agree your probably bang on correct, but it's not the only way and in my case much easier to buy a set of lazer cut radius curves! I have a set. If I wanted to spend hours drawing grids and calculating formulas I'd go collage.
Admittedly if it wasn't for the brainy bunch we would never have P4 and its innovations, so I'm not disparaging them, just saying some things are way beyond my level.

but which very much appeal to bodgers like me!

What's your excuse then? :D

Well done Mr K! It works a treat. Did you you use a jig to quarter your wheels? I think this thread highlights a problem with some of the "dodgy" products out there, as well as the value of forums like this. Knuckles could have given up and assumed the problem was him, but he didn't and having been pointed in the right direction did a great job.

Thanks, Ealing. I just sighted the quartering, tweaking, turning, pressing and checking with the BTB until happy. I've had to remove the wheels a lot of times so they are a tad more lose than they started. Yet, I'm scared of fixing them with Loctite incase I have to dismantle again. One side is fixed though.
The email I got from Comet said words to the effect that many people don't have a problem with 'that' gear, but admittedly some do, and also that it was probably the way I was building it - but I wasn't so easily convinced of the latter. I'm afraid he's lost gearbox custom from me because High Level don't have this 'gamble' built in. If Comet replace that one gear with full teeth though.....
You guys on this forum are great for the adavice you give, and I thank you all collectively again. It's true, out of all the modelling forums out there, this is the best for getting answers, help and good conversation. IMO.
Well done Knuckles, bask in the glory and allow yourself a few days of smugness.

Think I'm stuck wagon building again. I had a bid on a Hornby E2 body, and was winning with £4 something in the last two minutes, then when I checked it shot up to £15:99 before I could do anything about it. My max was £15:01.
........... ... ..

I was hoping to avoid buying a 'full' locomotive, being out of work, the chassis will only be extra expence and waste.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:41 pm

Just a real quick update, nothing interesting.

I have hardly been on for a month and a half.

This is becasue I have had other things on my mind that are more important than modelling and so progress has been real slow, however I haven't disappeared or anything.
I've just had to seriously put the brakes on and turn a massive chunk of attension to something else.

The body to the E2 I have almost gathered what I need and it will just be a simple tweak - nothing mind blowing but enough to finish the loco off properly in due time.

I've also made another two wagons and converted an RTR one in a way that I think is post worthy, but again, in due time I'll make those into a a 3 wagon post in the relavent thread once complete.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Knuckles wrote:Just a real quick update, nothing interesting.

I have hardly been on for a month and a half.

This is becasue I have had other things on my mind that are more important than modelling and so progress has been real slow, however I haven't disappeared or anything.

Hi Knuckles,

Good to hear from you again. I was only thinking the other day that you must be busy or something.

It's a matter of coming back when you find the time. It seems like only a blink since you've been away - I managed over ten years without doing any modelling at all (although I kept my membership throughout) - so I hope that all settles down and you are back in full flow.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:37 pm

Don't worry about the odd pause now and then. I've not really been in the mood lately for much modelling. Maybe it's something to do with the weather? On thing's for sure - the Forum is not quite the same without your contribution! ;)

Looking forward to hearing more in due course.

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:48 pm

Thanks guys, it's appreciated. I just wanted you to know that's all, it has been a month and a half since I posted anything really.
Will hopefully do that post soon.
:)

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:31 pm

Only just seen your earlier post about 'cut it fat and file it back'. That's not bodging, it's a very good way of fitting things precisely! Most of us started that way, and it teaches you just how much is needed in the way of tolerances etc.

Having said that, I am fortunate in having the use of an old Unimat these days, and there is no doubt that a degree of precision has made things easier in some respects, particularly in truing up occasionally errant wheelsets. But that does take time. It's all a bit of a learning curve, so keep up the good work, keep us informed and down to earth!

Philip

steves17

Postby steves17 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:50 pm

Call me foolish, but i'm going to give to Wills E2 kit 'a bash' too. Neither Wills or Hornby are great for the E2, but I thought I would try modding a pre-built one I got off e-bay some time back and see what happens. I did read read advice the on building the chassis first on the first page, but this is just a superficial experiment, hoping to go on the next Missenden corse to pick up a lot of the technical stuff, might make a proper scratch build Thomas afterwards- if this turns out to be a similar dud.
I saw Knuckles removed the naff bunker grill. I've done the same, but can now see just how much higher the back is, when it should be inline with the top of the tanks.
Looking at J.H Russell's Southern Locomotive book I brought afterwards has proved useful I must say. :roll: But disappointingly I might of hoped there would be more on it, compared to many of the others included in the book that is, still very handy to have.
Anyway some months ago I recall there was a detailing kit to go with the E2 on E-bay. Someone out-bided me when I was away and I can't seem to find a record of its existence now on the web. I believe it could also be used for an M7 strangely ( if i'm re-calling correctly ). Does anyone know anything about it by chance? It was a brass kit.
(I wouldn't expect to see any pics for a while- just tinkering between my first layout.)

Cheers. Sleeper Agent

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:46 pm

Blimey, I thought this thread was dead. Well, I haven't abandoned the project, I'm just disillusioned as the 2 offerings don't impress me much.
I've thought of scratch building or drawing my own.

Your pic looks good. If you have an update it'd be good to see.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:18 pm

Hi all, just to let you know I'll have something to show in a month or two regarding this thread and a few other things. I know I've been rather inactive as of late but I'm still here.

Hoping to be able to do some modelling again soon.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:44 pm

Knuckles wrote:Hi all, just to let you know I'll have something to show in a month or two regarding this thread and a few other things. I know I've been rather inactive as of late but I'm still here.

Hoping to be able to do some modelling again soon.

Nice to hear that you are still out there :-)

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:50 pm

BOO!

Does anyone know where I can get Archer resin rivet transfers from? I had a pack before but that was years ago, at the time I got them from DCC Supplies or Gaugemaster but not last time I checked.

I'm mean to buy in the UK rather than having to pay a bomb just to import some paper. :(

No worries if not.

It's for my E2's that I'm not showing yet!

EDIT: EEy, scratch that, I stand corrected, DCC Supplies still do sell them.

Must stop listening to rumours.
Must stop lis...balls to this, going home. Lines are boring...

https://www.dccsupplies.com/search/resu ... rch=archer

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:34 pm

Knuckles wrote:Does anyone know where I can get Archer resin rivet transfers from?

Try Historex Agents if DCC are out of stock (but if it's rivets/welds you want you'll have to wade through pages of assorted military insignia first - might tempt you to become an armour modeller ...)

On the other hand, postage direct from the States is only a couple of $s - hardly a deal-breaker?
David L-T

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:57 am

Knuckles wrote:BOO!

Does anyone know where I can get Archer resin rivet transfers from?

Archers, you will find them cheaper* and just about as quick as trying to source them from the UK.

* 'corse that depends a bit on the state of the pound against the dollar.

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:59 am

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:00 pm

Sweet. Many thanks all of you.

I didn't expect anyone to answer as I sort of answerd myself.

Many thanks.

Looking forward to revealing in due time.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:05 pm

I posted the following in another thread but I think it makes sense to put it here too...

"Another chance to use this thread that was made for me! Seems a good place to put it.

Greetings. If you have been wondering why my online activity and especially my modelling threads on the forums have been quiet you are about to find out why.

If over the years you have ever appreciated my locomotive modelling, kit bashing and related video's then you don't want to miss the next two video's I upload, especially if you are a railway modeller. (I'm talking mostly to those on YouTube and SiF who have known me since 2006)

I've quietly been working 8 or 9 months almost straight on a secret project known only to a select few.

Very soon you will all know what it is and maybe experience it. The latter half will be your choice.

Ok. Expect the 2 video's very soon. :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is vid 1/2

Please watch. :D
Especially the 2nd vid."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 2nd vid will be posted in another thread, you'll see why if you watch this vid.

Also remember how I wasn't happy with Hornby and SE Finecast's E2?

Got that problem sorted now. Vid will explain. :thumb
Last edited by grovenor-2685 on Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed link, Keith

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:04 pm

Knuckles,
Your video link is not working for me.
Best to use the BB code buttons when making links, either the "URL" button or, better, the "Youtube" button.Hovering the cursor over the button will show you the syntax.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks, I didn't know it broke.

I have used the YouTube button and it looks like it has worked as I see a big box now but it also says plugin not supported.

I am using a mobile phone right now though so maybe the vid is working now. Hope so!

If not you could just go to YouTube channel 'sparkshot' and look at the latest vid. I'll check the link validity in this post tomorrow after work. Sorry about the issue and thankyou for letting me know. ;)

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:16 pm

Youtube button does need the sytax as per hover, I've fixed it for you now.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:36 pm

Ok many thanks. I must be lacking understanding here. Will look in to it.
I use Proboards a lot and usually you just paste a link and Bob's your auntie.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi Keith

When you fix a YouTube link can you leave the original in too? The linked videos don't work on my iPad as YouTube isn't supported.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:58 pm

I don't know if the S4 algorithm or something will mess it up but below I have attempted to paste the original link again. Hope it helps.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4f9wnuW3uTM

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Knuckles

Re: SR 0-6-0 E2's

Postby Knuckles » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:53 pm

Ok guys, if you want to know how I solved the issue of me not being happy with both Hornby's and SE Finecast's E2 please have a look at this internal link...

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4577

Problem solved! For me and you.

This isn't just about E2's.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Knuckles

Re: SR 0-6-0 E2's

Postby Knuckles » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:24 pm

Greetings.

If you followed this thread and the above post you may know that I eventually solved the issue of getting a LB&SCR E2 kit I was happy with...I made my own. So my first Sparkshot Custom Creations E2 was in Gunky rusted BR Black using the cheaper WSF material. Since then I have also been working on a new type of chassis and the prototype can be read about and viewed as a video regarding the Furness J1 in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5086&start=25

For this post though it is time to be culturally naughty. Me, culturally naughty? Never....

Those of you who know me may by now understand I have two main railway interests above all others; pre-Grouping railways and realistic researched versions of the Railway Series (RWS). The TV series of 'Thomas & Friends' is nothing like the Railway Series that Wilbert Awdry intended and although most may move on and 'grow up' in this area I have a goal of restoring things to a researched almost uncompromised image.

So a friend of mine, also known as Whitehousefilms asked me if I could fiddle with his ancient Stuart Reidpath locomotive and improve its running and iron out the coffee grinder sound effects. I gave it a good go. Completely stripped the motor, soaked it in white spirit, scrubbed it, soldered a connection back on and gave it new contacts. It ran a.fraction better but not a lot. Still grinding. Then he asked if I could build him a chassis. Hmm, opportunity, guinea pig time.....

Taking what I learned from the J1 chassis I improved certain design features and attempted to print it on my own Robox 3D printer (RBX 02). For this reason it had no brake pads as they are a bit awkward to print. I also designed in a pivot point for a compensation beam as I had never tried compensation before so thought it good opportunity to do so. Articulated coupling rods were scratch built from some old code 100 rail filed to death and hinging on the centre crank pin. Wiper pick ups were arranged as per my current favourite method of top acting springing downwards.

Best running chassis I think I built.

So now that I thought it was time to build my first ever Thomas model I again took info from the previous build and improved it more. Again printed on my own printer minus brake pads.

I conducted a lot of practical research for a perfect working clearance for both Romford/Markits & Alan Gibson bushes for the Bearing Carriers. If I remember correctly I set things up for compensation and the printed parts to give 0.4mm movement up or down. I may be wrong here so may check, been a while.

Anyway here is the chassis unfinished...

The white Nylon frame at top of picture is like a keeper plate that I later reprinted in the same material as the chassis. HD glass, a modified PETG. Basically water bottle plastic.

I devised a simple bodge to make sure the Alan Gibson wheels were pressed on their axles properly. Variable speed battery powered mini drill in a vice! Not sophisticated....but I rarely am. The other wheels when pressed home with the GW Models quartering jig usually go on square but if not a bit of teasing usually sorts it.

I checked my component tray named 'crank pins' and found I only had 3 Alan Gibson crank pins left. 'Bugger' I though, 'better ring Colin up' but sadly Colin was ill and was rightfully taking a break.

Hmm.

Well I had a few Romford/Markits crank pins still and I read that they can be used with Alan Gibson wheels. I was a wee unsure but found out it was hyper easy to do...drill the hole bigger. Cake.

So this mongrel mutt has one side proper and one side bodged.

The coupling rod in the pic is one of my SCC E2 rods in brass. Image

So what gearing are we to use? I used a High Level Kits Road Runner + before in the first SCC E2 I xid but found I had to shave away a lot of material to fit it. However I used a drive extender in my Furness K2 loco and that worked great.

So that was what I'd do again...

But compensation needs articulated coupling rods and mine are fixed. Bugger!

So I cut them in half and filed flats

Then I soldered some scrap nickel silver to one side as an extension and drilled a hole where the join is to be. Proper place this time rather than on the crank pin. Never tried this.

then you see here the other hole is drilled too

The other hole was plotted by placing the rods in position to the correct wheelbase. E2's had an equal wheelbase of 8' + 8' so 32mms + 32mms. The first hole drilled became the jig for the second hole.

I then soldered a 0.7mm brass rod in one of the holes to basically make a pin

This was capped by an over sized Romford/Markits crank pin washer as it is all I had.

Here is the chassis more complete. Compensation beams to my knowledge are supposed to go on top. I forgot this so put it underneath. Does it matter? I haven't changed it, reason below in the post.

When adding the crew the Bachmann Scenecraft Fireman wouldn't fit. To remedy this I got another guy with an oil can, cut the oil can off and positioned him so it looks like he is grabbing the lever. Bit a shovel needs to be in the cab so I scatch bodged one from black emery paper, rod and scrap etch.

A bit rough but not as rough as the cab interior and backhead. For future editions of the E2 I may make the backhead as a separate glue in piece as the print orientation wasn't the best and painting it neat in situe was a challenge so it looks a bit messy. Gauge controls I broke off so will sort that too.

Shovel leaning against corner glued to wall crook at handle.

So with that I painted the chassis black and added sand pipes. Wheels blue. Lining straights are HMRS 1mm / 3" lines. Curves and boiler bands are hand lined. I will be getting 0.75mm lines in future but good enough for now. Number ones are also hand painted. Porthole 'glass' is Krystal Klear glue. Whistle is a genuine brass SCC print.

the rear windows should really have grills added but I fear the fiddle and finish ruination so might not bother.

Thomas according to pretty much all the illustrations should have the open coal rail/stave rather than the fully enclosed type but never mind. Again for future revisions I may make and fit the open type to the model and provide the closed type in the file as an option. Cutting the frame type would be a LOT easier and less risky then if you wanted this type. Also may revise cab beading profile but these revisions will come later.

Now to the best of my knowledge, Sodor is vacuum braked and not air braked. I have painted the Westinghouse air pump to fit with the model but maybe it needs to be removed??? ?? I'm unsure. I didn't add the pipe to the handrail area for this unsure reason. If anyone can give a solid case for it's removal then feel free. Just after accuracy.

I will upload to Shapeways the brake pads as spares and fit them later.

So apart from the above quibbles regarding coal rails and pumps this to my conclusion represents Thomas in about 1920 ish when he would have been purchased on the quiet. The 1960's rebuild will be made later some day. Personally the early Thomas would have been a straight Extended Tank E2, no front splashers and no front cab rectangular side windows and standard running pate curves. In fact the original version of Railway Series #2 'Thomas the Tank Engine' was illustrated by Reginald Payne and showed the character with side cab rectangular LINING instead of the window. It was only when Clarence Reginald Dalby revised the artwork he decided to 'poke' them out.

You already had unfinished glimpses so below, bar the above improvements and bar the fact the smokebox dart is a temporary scratch build and bar the fact the smokebox door is plonked in at a wonky angle and bar the fact I need to remove some silver paint from the door seal.......deep breath.

Well whatever.

North Western Railway / NWR # 1 'Thomas' in 1920's guise...

Displayed with some of my other SCC loco's and RTR bashes.

Oh yeah. Loco body is a Shapeways FUD print and the rear coupling I forgot to mention is omitted until I decide what type to install.

How does it run?

Bloodly lovely. Never made a perfect runner before but this is darn close. Possibly the best runner I ever made. So will be taking this chassis development of mine further.

What thinketh thou? :D

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Return to “Steam Locomotives”