Washout Plug Covers

jsherratt

Washout Plug Covers

Postby jsherratt » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:11 pm

Just a quick question.

Does anyone have any thoughts, on the best way to get 4 identical small circles cut from a brass sheet, to make washout plug covers?

I've no access to a lathe or other machine tools.

John

Tim V

Re: Washout Plug Covers

Postby Tim V » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:17 pm

Find a piece of steel bar of the right diameter, no more than a couple of inches long (so as not to be too flexible) bang this through brass shim into lead sheet. If its good enough for Guy Williams, it's good enough for us :!:
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

jsherratt

Postby jsherratt » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:52 pm

Thanks, Tim,

I had not thought of that - I think I've some steel rod somewhere, I'll give it a go later.

Cheers, John

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:32 am

John

Dick Petter did a batch for me about a year ago as he already has the necessary punch.

Will

JackBlack

Postby JackBlack » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:28 pm

Historex Agents do an excellent miniature punch & die set which is great for this sort of thing. Not particularly cheap but I think I've got my money's worth out of mine.

http://www.historexagents.com/shop/hxpr ... Code=PUNCH

Nick Allport
CLAG

jsherratt

Postby jsherratt » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:04 am

Thanks there, Will and Jack, I'll follow those ideas up. John

jsherratt

Postby jsherratt » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:47 am

jsherratt wrote:Thanks there, Will and Jack, I'll follow those ideas up. John

Sorry, that should have been thanks Will and Nick, I wasn't paying attention!

davebooth

Postby davebooth » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:12 am

jsherratt wrote:Just a quick question.

Does anyone have any thoughts, on the best way to get 4 identical small circles cut from a brass sheet, to make washout plug covers?

I've no access to a lathe or other machine tools.

John

Oh! :o Mr Sherratt you don't read your 'Link'
Jim Whittaker told us all how to achieve such tiny shapes in brass shim; granted that was many years ago when we no'but lads. ;) - Silver steel punch and a bit of lead as the die.
Are you at the AGM on Saturday? If so, e-mail me what size you want & I'll turn up a bit of silver steel and bring it to Dean Hall. Alternatively I'll punch you a few (how many? just the four?) and bring those instead.

davebooth

Postby davebooth » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:17 am

John[/quote]
Oh! :o Mr Sherratt you don't read your 'Link'
Jim Whittaker told us all how to achieve such tiny shapes in brass shim; granted that was many years ago when we no'but lads. ;) - Silver steel punch and a bit of lead as the die.
Are you at the AGM on Saturday? If so, e-mail me what size you want & I'll turn up a bit of silver steel and bring it to Dean Hall. Alternatively I'll punch you a few (how many? just the four?) and bring those instead.[/quote]

Oh heck!Just read the date of the original enquiry. :(
Seems I don't read to well or to quickly either. You are probably now supplied. If not get back to me PDQ if you want 'em on Saturday

jsherratt

Postby jsherratt » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:43 am

Hello Dave,

I do read my Link, I just forget what I've read in it especially a few years ago ;) my memory is not what it was!

I'd be very grateful if you could do me a few washout plugs that would be much appreciated. I've not sorted myself out to have a go at them myself yet.

I just need 4 for the loco tho maybe a couple of spares, as if I have just the right number I'm bound to "ping" one to the far dark corners of the workshop here.

I can't get to Dean Hall on Saturday I'm afraid but I should be along on Monday night so I'm sure you could leave them with one of the usual gang for me to pick up then.

Many thanks again for the kind offer. John

Return to “Steam Locomotives”