Puzzling Pictures - loco tenders

John Bateson

Puzzling Pictures - loco tenders

Postby John Bateson » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:38 pm

Folks,
Slightly puzzled by a couple of pictures of SR locomotives with what look like GC 4000G Tenders behind them. These are 31727 which is on the front page of the EMGS ExpoEM notices and 31293 Wainwright Class C in the latest issue of ‘Steam World’.
Apart from some references to the SECR taking over an order which Neilsons were producing for the Great Northern and references to the Class C first batch being built by Beyer Peacock, all at the same time as Robinson was beginning his works, this has left me a little puzzled.

There must be a link somewhere in here but has anybody got any information that might help

John
John Bateson
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Noel

Re: Puzzling Pictures - loco tenders

Postby Noel » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:21 pm

John, since no-one else has apparently replied to you, I thought I would have a go. My interest is in BR(WR) not the Southern, so I can't give a definitive answer. Also, I do not have the EMGS publication you refer to; however, I have been able to take a look at the latest Steam World issue.

Firstly, I don't think that the tender in the SW photo is a GC/ROD 4,000 gallon type. It looks too small, the side raves to the coal space are too shallow, I think, and the GC/ROD tender does not have a door[?] at the front. Two pages later there is a photo of a different class C, with a tender which appears to be the same apart from the absence of the side raves. This latter pattern is, according to photos in old abcs, the normal tender for class C [3,300 gall], so I suspect that the one in question is simply a variant of this.

The D1 and E1 rebuilds kept their original tenders, which were very similar to those of the class C, but slightly bigger, and with side raves

I hope this helps.

Noel
Regards
Noel

John Bateson

Re: Puzzling Pictures - loco tenders

Postby John Bateson » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:55 am

It certainly is confusing...but I suspect you are right about it being a little too small. It would be interesting to do some further research but I am trying to concentrate at the moment on other things. I suspect that designers from that era may well have used shapes and ideas from other groups, especially where the purchasing source was common.
I do have a picture sent to me of a ROD GCR tender with a door though.
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Return to “Steam Locomotives”