Hornby 0-6-0T (generic modern) to P4

doggeface

Hornby 0-6-0T (generic modern) to P4

Postby doggeface » Thu May 24, 2012 6:41 pm

I have been around the houses rather trying to solve the problem of converting these chassis which employ 3.5mm axles running in brass bushes. Being limited in what material is available and lacking machine tools -- restricted to hand fitting techniques only -- I have finally found my way; This may well be a case of grannie and egg sucking but I have not found any words of wisdom in our rather splendid stock!

The simple answer came from eBay when I found a suppler of 3.5mm od brass tube which has an inner bore a 3.0mm clearance.

This leaves the way clear to use the Gibson 4800 series of drivers using 3mm axles. The connecting rods are also the same size as the 4800 reducing bushes.

PIC_0120.jpg

The 2721 class pannier is a good example of a cheap and easily enhanced model.

PIC_0121.jpg

Equally the Hornby Jinty can receive the correct 15 spoke wheel set this way
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

doggeface

Re: Hornby 0-6-0T (generic modern) to P4

Postby doggeface » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:56 pm

Having received and fitted the K&S tubing in quick time I was rather disappointed with the results. The loco chassis would not lead into a point without derailing -- this despite having enormous freedom of lateral movement.

I took out the measuring sticks and had a look at the wheel alignments. One wheel was not in contact with a flat surface (the other 5 were). The space was measured at 0.14mm.

This has already been remarked in these pages as sufficient to allow the flanges to run over the rails at the slightest provocation! The depth of the bearing bush slot was the same as it's companions but the bush (and others) were not sitting in the slot properly (too far in !!!) or the block is distorted. I don't have the means to determine that. However , I have filled the slot with body filler and eased the wheelset back into place after giving it a few minutes to harden slightly. Ensuring that the wheelset was grounded nicely I let it set. This improved things greatly. It now remains to allow the brass tube to bed into the brass bearing bushes.

I will not tackle another until this first one is thouroughly tested and settled. I am looking to rewheel another with larger diam wheels in order to equip a Wills 2251 class 0-6-0.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”