Wheels for HighLevel 14" RSH 0-4-0T

David Knight

Wheels for HighLevel 14" RSH 0-4-0T

Postby David Knight » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:59 am

I am contemplating the purchase of the HighLevel kit named above. Are suitable wheels still available and from whom? Any other comments on the kit would be welcomed.

TIA,

David

nigelcliffe

Re: Wheels for HighLevel 14" RSH 0-4-0T

Postby nigelcliffe » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:17 am

The Highlevel items I've built have all been superb, so I'd be confident about this one.

Wheels, don't know. Some were designed for things in the Sharman range, which is not being replenished by its current owner.

- Nigel

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:30 am

I take it you've looked at the Gibson range? I know they produced wheels specifically for one of High Levels's kits (the tiny Hudswell Clarke) so they may have done others as well. I assume you've asked Chris Gibbons?

DT

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:53 am

If you luck out, Bill Bedford will do bespoke wheels in his shapeways range.
I have ordered a few, but not seen them yet. I gather he can make anything in small quantities.
I have ordered the proper wheels for my little Nielson.

Neil

Clive Impey

Postby Clive Impey » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:13 pm

The wheels you need are 3ft 6in 10 spoke which are available from Alan Gibson. I used Sharman wheels on my RSH
and they were very eccentric needing a lot of machining to get them running true. I used a Machima 1224 with a flywheel.

High Level kits go together beautifully - just follow the comprehensive instructions. Having said that I prefer steel buffer faces so made a sprung set and I moved the slidebars out to 27mm to cure a catching crankpin nut. There is not a lot of room to fit pickups.I found the best method was to make a scale drawing of the chassis underside showing all obstructions and the contact points on the wheels and then build the pckups on the drawing. The copper clad was then screwed to a cross member on the chassis.

Clive Lincs.

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:21 pm

Thanks to all, it looks like the Gibsons will do the trick as the original design was for Sharmans which no longer are in production.

Cheers,

David

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue May 08, 2012 5:04 pm

nberrington wrote:If you luck out, Bill Bedford will do bespoke wheels in his shapeways range.
I have ordered a few, but not seen them yet.....

I have. There was a bit of a problem with the automatic quartering on my set, so it's gone back to Bill and hopefully he'll get time to sort it out.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”