Tanktop cylinder on a Willesden 3F (47307)

Jan

Tanktop cylinder on a Willesden 3F (47307)

Postby Jan » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:51 am

Hello,
I've posted this on RMWeb as well, but you can never have too much expertise....

The rebuilding of a Londoncentric 3F gets more devilish with every turn. Having refettled the underwear (including an errant slippery wheel in the quartering and a homeless Mashima 1620) I now find that the beast in question (47307) is one of the screw reverse variants. It has no keyhole access for the rear sandbox, and it appears from http://www.railuk.info that it was one of a batch built by Hunslet.

I have several pictures of 47307 from those fine people at The Transport Treasury, and these show a cylinder lying on top of the driver's side side tank (RHS from the footplate).

Does anyone know if this tank accompanied the screw reverse, and does anyone have dimensions or a decent picture of the pipe run? I figure it was just a reservoir...

Oh.... and does anyone know of a suitable source of a casting for the screw reverse wheel in the cab? I think Comet or Gibson do one, but IIRC its for an 8F..... any chance they're a 'one size fits all'? Push comes to shove, I'll fettle one.

Any pointers towards any articles on these engines would be good, too :)

Cheers

Jan

Return to “Steam Locomotives”