Postby Horsetan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:04 pm

Lack of a bogie might be an indication :?:
That would be an ecumenical matter.

John McAleely
Web Team

Re: 60163 Tornado: Dave Bradwell Chassis + Hornby Bodywork

Postby John McAleely » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:20 pm

Horsetan wrote:Lack of a bogie might be an indication :?:

Yes, I'm starting to realise that from the practical perspective of seeing the thing in action. The two trucks and the driving wheels clearly do inter-relate. Yes, I've read that many times. Nothing like a practical lesson to re-enforce reading! I've been shy about assembling the bogie, because ideally it probably should be painted before I finish its assembly, but I'm going to worry about that in the future. Yesterday I concluded I really did have to get the whole chassis assembled and working as job one - I have much to learn just solving those problems.

I may be creating problems for painting that I can avoid on future builds, but I'm still on the early learning curve, and I don't think the painting puzzles that result will be unsolvable.

So next job on my list is to do final assembly of the front bogie, before I debug the chassis behaviour much more. I'm very happy with how it runs as an 0-6-0 with just coupling rods, and it seems that adding the bogies and the rest of the motion are independent puzzles I can work on in parallel (the various parts do come on and off with screws in this kit).

John Fitton

Postby John Fitton » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:53 am

my personal experience with lots of RTR diesel and electric loco conversions and lots of passenger cars: lead weight the things up to max capacity!!

beachboy

Postby beachboy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:46 pm

John,

I was looking at your pic Jan 19th & noted some poss. idea's.

I would take the Con Rods off.
Put a footplate on the Chassis.
Secure the motor from any unwanted movement to & fro and interferring with the rear driver.
Put some weight over the driving wheels to stop any uneven action from any springing - combined with the tugging & lifting on the middle driver from the Con Rods. Check quartering etc. This weight I would of thought would overcome the lack of balance from the missing front bogie.

Thence move on & check the Con Rods, piston / valve gear.

If it then runs well, then finnish it.

The other thing I used to find when building Slot Cars, was sometimes a motor would run unevenly. Thence I would always go thro a process of running in motors at a few hours low speed, kept well oiled. Then 20 mins at a higher speed.
Amazing our smooth, & extra torque was obtained from bedded in brushes and bearings.

Steve.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:42 pm

Thank you all for the advice. Add the bogie, and weight it up seems like a summary. So this afternoon I got to here:

TornadoFullySprung.jpg

Unlike the posed photo further up the thread, this time all the wheels are fixed on their axles, and sprung as designed in the chassis. I've not quite weighted her as advised - but in my defense I was just experimenting.

And despite being ugly, she certainly had better roadholding like this. I can see I need to be mindful of some areas causing shorts on tight curves - there were a couple with the setup like this. I'm sure that will be easy enough to sort out.

Very encouraging. I'll continue construction of the motion parts, and I can see I need to turn my mind back to the Hornby body, and see how to fill it full of weights.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:58 pm

There's a sneaky peek at my more recent progress in the CHEAG loco competition. I'm still some way from completion! I've spent the weekend at missenden, debugging the running of the chassis and adding bits of the valve gear.

The tender now has all 8 wheels mounted and sprung, and needs cosmetic work to create the coal space before painting.

Missenden14.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:56 pm

From the posting history, it looks like this project has been on a 2 year hiatus. It's not been quite that, but close. Anyway, this weekend I dusted it down, and tackled the valve gear:

https://youtu.be/9zHfo62sweQ

As you can see, it runs, although there are a couple of points where it binds. Hopefully it won't be another couple of years before I tackle those!

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:58 pm

The slightly hesitant operation of YouTube tends to make the bind look worse than it actually is.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:19 am

Well done John. I wish I could get back to things as well!

It is one of the things about posting is the time is shown up in cold black and white. I was looking for some information the other day in some magazines.... I thought 2 years would. Enough to go back but it ended up 3.... I knew it was recent :shock:
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:43 pm

Another year of progress, and the (intermittent!) time has seen the valve gear completed, and the body seated on the chassis:

IMG_2131.JPG

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:21 pm

Very nice John. Once it's fully up and running, you will have to come and give it a spin around Mellstock and see what it will pull. There should be the main line, at least, laid by the time you are ready. I like the extended spacing of the sleepers, just shows how few you need in hidden areas!

Philip

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:25 pm

Will L wrote:
John McAleely wrote:... it seems that Hornby's chassis has everything set up in neutral. Is that actually my only choice (given that I want my loco to go forwards and backwards), or can I choose to model this in (say) forwards position, and just have to put up with disapproving frowns from those in the know whenever the loco goes backwards? Or would it actually seize up?

The loco should run quite happily how ever you set the valve gear. If anybody disapproves of your choice, ask them how they managed to do better. 4mm Loco's with visible valve gear which don't suffer from this problem make hens teeth seem common.

Will

Is this the rising link thing at the top of the Walschearts valve gear?

I'm sure John saw the same thing as I did today - Tim Watson of MRC fame dropped in today and bought along to Missenden his latest locomotive. It's an LNER P2 2-8-2 with working valve gear. And a video on his iPad of how you move the rising link and the gear changes...

More at https://www.facebook.com/TheModelRailwayClub/posts/1748359495189860

Of course, it's not in 4mm...

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Steam Locomotives”