Bill Bedford Wheels

nberrington

Bill Bedford Wheels

Postby nberrington » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:23 pm

Our good friend Bill is now marketing wheels, with 3d printed centers, complete with all details, balance weight etc, for specific prototypes.
Having experience with Bill's products makes me a tad excited at the prospect.
Has anyone on that side of the waters had a chance to see these wheels in the flesh?
I would be most interested in your thoughts.
(I've ordered a few already, so we shall see I guess)

http://mousa.biz/fourmm/loco/wheels4.html#wheels4

Regards

Neil B
Winnipeg, Canada

John McAleely
Web Team

Re: Bill Bedford Wheels

Postby John McAleely » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:26 pm

One of my fellow CHEAG members has shown some samples around the group. I'm not sure if he's used them in anger yet. We have our regular meeting tonight, so I will endeavour to learn more. I recall he was quite pleased with them.

HowardGWR

Postby HowardGWR » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:03 pm

I've looked at the link. How does one know what they will cost?

iak

Postby iak » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:29 pm

GCR loco wheels... :shock:
All we need now is the Loco's then.
John Bateson has Jersey lily pending but a D10 or a J63....................
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:36 pm

HowardGWR wrote:I've looked at the link. How does one know what they will cost?

The price estimates I've got from Bill is comparable with Ultrascale - bearing in mind these are small quantity production, including the capacity for bespoke batches, I don't that's unreasonable. The wheels will be sold as sets, with axles, crankpins etc. No added cost. I understand one will however need to buy a jig for fitting the first wheel square on the axle. More to follow I guess...

NB

hollybeau

Postby hollybeau » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:27 pm

Does anyone know what "photo acrylic" is? I assume it is some sort of plastic/nylon i.e. not electrically conductive.

Bryan

Will L

Postby Will L » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:04 pm

hollybeau wrote:Does anyone know what "photo acrylic" is? I assume it is some sort of plastic/nylon i.e. not electrically conductive.

Bryan

Definitely that.

Will

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:00 pm

hollybeau wrote:Does anyone know what "photo acrylic" is? I assume it is some sort of plastic/nylon i.e. not electrically conductive.

Bryan

No, it will not be electrically conductive.

Bill is using rapid prototyping (also known as 3D printing) for these, so it is a type of plastic that can go through this machine.

It is possible to do them in metal though, so you could have conductive wheels. The only problem is, I think one of the few metals that can be done like this is silver, so I think you might find such wheels are "a bit more than the equivilant price for Ultrascales" for these!
Mark Tatlow

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:02 pm

Bryan

No, it will not be electrically conductive.

Bill is using rapid prototyping (also known as 3D printing) for these, so it is a type of plastic that can go through this machine.

It is possible to do them in metal though, so you could have conductive wheels. The only problem is, I think one of the few metals that can be done like this is silver, so I think you might find such wheels are "a bit more than the equivilant price for Ultrascales" for these!
Mark Tatlow

Trevor Grout

Postby Trevor Grout » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:03 pm

Yeh, But No, But yeh, init there be nice a shiney and everyfing :D , (also available in other precious metals)
:idea: chav'd wheelsets, pimping your ride! :idea:

regards
trebor

philchudley

Postby philchudley » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:35 pm

I know this is an old thread, but are Bill Bedford wheels still available?

They are not listed under http://www.mousa.biz/index.html

but the page http://www.mousa.biz/fourmm/loco/wheels4.html is still active when accessed directly.

Phil

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:30 am

I can still make the wheels listed, but I have become disillusioned with the material that the centres are made from. The plan is to buy my own printer to made wheels, and other things, but given that there is a long delivery on the printer and I will need some time to understand what it will do, it will likely be late summer before I'll be able to get production going again.

jon price

Postby jon price » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:46 am

I'm looking forward to the eventual arrival of these wheels, initially for the J63 kit which will emerge as a J62, especially as the whole deal will come in one purchase (integral balance weights; crank pins and axles included). Issues for me will be ease of painting (we will probably need instructions if special procedures are necessary) and ease of adding shorting strips (don't want to see an expensive wheelset vapourise at the first approach of the soldering iron). Maybe a ready made split axle?
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:52 pm

Never mind.
(Can't delete post on my 'phone thus the edit for now)
Last edited by Knuckles on Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:09 pm

jon price wrote:I'm looking forward to the eventual arrival of these wheels, initially for the J63 kit which will emerge as a J62, especially as the whole deal will come in one purchase (integral balance weights; crank pins and axles included). Issues for me will be ease of painting (we will probably need instructions if special procedures are necessary) and ease of adding shorting strips (don't want to see an expensive wheelset vapourise at the first approach of the soldering iron). Maybe a ready made split axle?

I don't think these wheels will be suitable for split frames. First they are self quartering with a key printed in the wheel bore, and also the printing resins tend to soften when put in hot water. So soldering shorting wires no to the rims is likely to destroy the wheel.

At the moment the plan is to supply wheels for use in my own kits a drop-in wheelsets with a suitable final drive gear on the axle, but not necessarily fixed. Wheels for other locos are planed to be supplied with one wheel mounted on the axle so that modellers can choose their own bearings and gears. Any new frames kits are likely to have pick-up provided.

jon price

Postby jon price » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:34 pm

This is useful to know. So no shorting possible but self quartering, sounds like a reasonable trade off. I mentioned the J63 as these were wheels which appeared in your first try out. I'd put them in a Judith Edge kit which I already have if they get released again.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:54 pm

billbedford wrote:I can still make the wheels listed, but I have become disillusioned with the material that the centres are made from. The plan is to buy my own printer to made wheels, and other things, but given that there is a long delivery on the printer and I will need some time to understand what it will do, it will likely be late summer before I'll be able to get production going again.

Would resin-moulded centres work?
That would be an ecumenical matter.

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:13 am

Yes and no.

It is easy enough to cast wheels in resin, but there are a couple of problems. First there is alway flash, and it can be difficult to clear from between the spokes near the hub. And then the resin is slightly softer than ABS which would impose a limit on the size of the wheel that could work reliably.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:52 am

billbedford wrote:Yes and no.

It is easy enough to cast wheels in resin, but there are a couple of problems. First there is alway flash, and it can be difficult to clear from between the spokes near the hub. And then the resin is slightly softer than ABS which would impose a limit on the size of the wheel that could work reliably.

Aha. That explains things.

What would the wheel size limit be? As large as a BR 9F wheel, or smaller?

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:10 am

I'm surprised Bill didn't also mention brittleness. A lot of the after-market resin pieces I use for aircraft modelling will shatter if you so much as look at them sharply - but maybe it's all in the mix, the usual trade-off between durability and sharpness of detail?
David L-T

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:24 am

dal-t wrote:I'm surprised Bill didn't also mention brittleness. A lot of the after-market resin pieces I use for aircraft modelling will shatter if you so much as look at them sharply - but maybe it's all in the mix, the usual trade-off between durability and sharpness of detail?

The material used in 3D printing can also be brittle.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:01 pm

Quite. I've found resin and FUD both to be really brittle. I dunno what Alan at modelau uses but it seems a lot better in this respect.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:12 pm

Horsetan wrote:
dal-t wrote:I'm surprised Bill didn't also mention brittleness. A lot of the after-market resin pieces I use for aircraft modelling will shatter if you so much as look at them sharply - but maybe it's all in the mix, the usual trade-off between durability and sharpness of detail?

The material used in 3D printing can also be brittle.

At Missenden last weekend there was a chap that was doing some exquisite modelling in 2mm finescale. He had 3D printed a number of different Midland Spinner bodies.

Unfortunately as he willingly demonstrated to us, it was only necessary to push something line the valance gently and it split off and fell away. He's experimenting with different materials, but isn't exactly overjoyed with the results so far.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:02 am

Designing in plastics is a whole different ball game to designing in metal. I suggest that anyone looking to producing things by printing should study how RTR bodies are constructed.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:02 am

billbedford wrote:Yes and no.

It is easy enough to cast wheels in resin, but there are a couple of problems. First there is always flash, and it can be difficult to clear from between the spokes near the hub. And then the resin is slightly softer than ABS which would impose a limit on the size of the wheel that could work reliably.

Demonstration resin piece produced by Bill at the recent "101" demo day. Intriguing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”