G6 remix

nberrington

G6 remix

Postby nberrington » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:19 am

Having recently converted an old Finecast G6 to P4, I started on an old etched kit - a rather nice Connoisseur kit from Jim McGeown.
This was in part inspired by Mark Stapleton and his little 0-6-0, and our mutual challenge to get them done by April.

Here she is - well underway thanks to a few slow days over the holidays.
The High level gearbox is a Road Runner + with a Mashima 14-24 which is just enormous for this little loco, and squeezes in nice and snuggly.
Had to wait for the space saver hornblocks to arrive from the UK before I could do the first trial fit.

Tomorrow the CSBs will be tweaked and wheels checked for clearances. So far so good...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

doggeface

Re: G6 remix

Postby doggeface » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:24 pm

Looks nice! One day (soon I hope) I will muster the courage to build a sprung chassis. Pardon my ignorance but what are CSBs please?

Will L

Postby Will L » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:40 pm

doggeface wrote:Looks nice! One day (soon I hope) I will muster the courage to build a sprung chassis. Pardon my ignorance but what are CSBs please?

Thats a good question. Hopefully what you need to now is in this thread Loco Suspension, fitting CSBs, but as there is a lot off it you may want to go strait to these two posts for starters

"First, why do we need suspension on our loco’s at all?" and "So why CSB’s"

Will

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:02 am

Hi doggeface (? - neat handle)

Here is today's work to illustrate the G6's CSB - handrail knobs, guitar wire and High level hornblocks with tags. You will notice the rear tags (to the right of the picture) are slimmer than the more anterior ones. This is to accommodate the gearbox, which won't fit between the regular hornblocks.

Just needs a bit of neatening up. (Grinding down the bits sticking out of the chassis, little sanding ,etc.)
Really not that difficult - the locations are easily calculated from the various spreadsheets for the wheelbase. I don't understand the math, but it seems to work! The hole positions can be precisely made using the High Level jig.

http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/

DSC_0004.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

doggeface

Postby doggeface » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:30 am

Bingo! Continuous sprung bearings !!! I was off into all kinds of erroneous ideas. Of course it could be common spring bearings although I suppose that the individual tensioning points negate the continuity and prevent interaxle reactions Having sweated blood on the 3D alignment of my C16 curved cross over using an unsprung (worst case) test loco & carriage I am sold on the idea of springing. Scale wheels on fine track demand fine workmanship on the track construction!.

Regards
Peter

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:05 pm

Having seen the wonderful job Mark S did with Connie, and now somewhat behind my compatriot in terms of getting my own 0-6-0 tank done, I managed to get into the workshop this weekend, in spite of this afternoon's rather entertaining NHL all star game (hockey).

Unseasonably warm weather (only 10 below) allowed me to brave the outdoors to sandblast the loco before the paint-shop.
Here she is - some modifications including a shunter's step and handrail. No 238 in primer grey.

philchudley

Postby philchudley » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:46 pm

Looking very nice. I too have a G6 on the workbench although mine will be finished in LSWR livery (Goods green)

You model appears to be for Southern or BR condition with the addition of the shunter's step (Does anyone know if these were fitted to both sides ... photographic evidence of shunter's steps on left or right ... but both sides?)

May I offer some observations that would make a great loco even greater?

Upon absorption into the Southern, the G6's were fitted with strengthened front buffer beams (a wooded extension which I believe was 7" deep). I have rarely, if ever, seen this noticeable feature modelled. Also triangular shaped lifting brackets were fitted to the tops of the tanks.

I have attached a couple of photos which show these features

G6-1.jpg

G6-2.jpg

Cheers

Phil

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:51 am

Hi Phil

I have used Bradleys Book on the Adams classes as a reference. On pg 117, there is a photo of No 257 in 1938, with the
The shunters step on the left, and on page 118 is no 30160 in 1950 with the step and rails on the right. I've drawn the conclusion that the steps were bilateral. This would make sense as the shunter could then hang on either side of the loco. I missed the fattened buffer beam!

The loco has the paint on, and I will be doing the decals tomorrow, so she should be about complete in a day or so. Splendid little kit, which was a great deal of fun to build. Thank you Mr McGeown!

Neil

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:22 pm

Pause in the proceedings to watch the Super Bowl. North American sports carnival - think FA cup final....
Here's the progress on the model this morning:

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:48 pm

Aw Neil,
watch the adverts on line, watch half time and the last couple of minutes and you could have the G6 finished tonight!

That said, it is looking great, and the crew look familiar - are they from Brampton?
I look forward to the G6 being a welcome addition at GBTS in April, it will be perfect, I have a brake van to match!
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:13 pm

The chassis runs very smoothly - we'll see how she does with the body on. Plenty weight from evenly distributed lead ballast.
Loco body with the HMRS Pressfix transfer applied to one side. Microsol applied to soften the transfer can bee seen still drying.

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:16 pm

MarkS wrote:Aw Neil,
watch the adverts on line, watch half time and the last couple of minutes and you could have the G6 finished tonight!

That said, it is looking great, and the crew look familiar - are they from Brampton?
I look forward to the G6 being a welcome addition at GBTS in April, it will be perfect, I have a brake van to match!

Yep - I did buy the crew in Brampton. They were a little "flat", so a touched up with some washes of flesh and highlighted the denim a bit.
OK - but they are about to sing the anthems - must dash!

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:48 pm

Hi Neil,

Very nice work. Just one question, where are your pickups? I've peered long and hard but can't seem to find them and I'm fairly sure you didn't go split frame.

Cheers,

David

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:58 pm

davknigh wrote:Hi Neil,

Very nice work. Just one question, where are your pickups? I've peered long and hard but can't seem to find them and I'm fairly sure you didn't go split frame.

Cheers,

David

Hidden sneakily - phosphor bronze wire - very discreet.

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:54 pm

Hello all - well the little loco had an outing in Toronto at the Great British Train Show.
Thanks to fellow Scalefour Society members Mark Stapletom and Dave Knight for their kind hospitality.
Anyway - other some some coupling malfunction, I was quite pleased with the little beast.

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Tue May 01, 2012 3:44 am

As predicted, a welcome addition at GBTS, and was one of, if not the smoothest loco on the branch.
(Looking forward to the video...)
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Tue May 01, 2012 10:51 am

Mark - the video wouldn't upload. Suspect the file is too big.
Perhaps webmaster can give me a hand?

NB

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:55 pm

Videos shouldn't upload! We put them on You tube then link from here using the 'You tube' bbcode from the buttons above the reply box.
For example see http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1980&p=15870#p15870
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Tue May 01, 2012 10:40 pm

Thanks Keith! I'll get it figured out.
NB
Last edited by nberrington on Thu May 03, 2012 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Thu May 03, 2012 2:00 am

The joy of P4 - smooth, slow, steady, no shake traction:

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu May 03, 2012 10:40 am

Excellent stuff!

Return to “Steam Locomotives”