Connie goes P4

MarkS

Connie goes P4

Postby MarkS » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:03 am

Many years ago, when I lived in Montreal, I visited a chap called Ron Bryant, a well known 2mm modeller, who dabbled in TT and 4mm too.
He showed me a Tri-ang Polly with a Rivarossi 0-6-0 mech stuffed in it. At the time I thought it made an interesting model, and a couple of decades later I pulled out my first loco, a Tri-ang "Connie" from the bottom of the train box.
The body is nearly 50 years old, so some surgery was called for...
A scratch chassis was built in fairly short order, using CSB's. Experiments with NWSL gearboxes and DS10 motors did not work as well as they should have, so a HighLevel roadrunner and Mashima was installed and all seems smooth and quiet.
The brake gear clips in using pins into the tubes that are the top hangers, pickups are next on the list.
P1030886.jpg

Then I did some work (well actually a fair amount of work...) on the old body, and this is where it stands today.

P1030888.jpg

It will the Beaufield and Upper Leaside Railway # 92, "Kaite"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

David Knight

Re: Connie goes P4

Postby David Knight » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:36 pm

Very nice Mark. I look forward to seeing Kaite in action at GBTS 2012 this April (or before).

Cheers,

David

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:56 pm

Mark,

From humble startings that loco looks really good! The livery is also making the loco look great. Hornby have noticed this also as the RTR more "toy" lines with a good livery application can really make them look great!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

HowardGWR

Postby HowardGWR » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:29 am

What's a 'Connie' please?

John Fitton

Postby John Fitton » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:11 pm

HowardGWR wrote:What's a 'Connie' please?

In the 1960s Tri-ang produced 3 0 4 0 tank engines, identical except for colour and names: Connie, Polly, and Nellie, in Yellow, Blue, and Red, IIRC.

John

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:34 pm

This link shows them...
http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/nellie1.htm

Thanks for the kind comments Doug, There is more than the application of some livery "make up", this old girl needed some cosmetic surgery too!
Cheers,

Mark.

DougN

Postby DougN » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:44 am

Appologies Mark I didn't know that you had done some plastic surgery to the old girl to tart her up.... Opps that could be taken the wrong way with what else is out there on the Net :shock:

It is a great thing to use the older models to sharpen ones skills... I look at the above and think it is one model that I have never owned!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:12 am

Some progress today, and a bit more surgery... I added front steps, and blackened the buffers, and painted the coupling rods. More importantly, all the pick ups are in and she runs smoothly.
With some oil and running in, even better. Tested her on all my worst track, nothing seems to upset her, much like her namesake, who has nicknamed her - "The Diva"
Here she is with her "bigger" brother, #94 - "Christopher" a former GER Buckjumper.

P1030894.JPG

I'm sure there are others like me who do not have a chassis jig at their disposal, so I use this idea, borrowed from John Wright.
It is a piece of MDF, drilled with a drill press for the axles to the correct wheelbase, and into which I insert 1/8 inch steel rod. I set up the chassis and the coupling rods using this jig. (For the rods I used tapered coupling rod axles from Markits)
Judging by the smooth running with little need for adjustment, it worked!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,

Mark.

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:40 am

P1030949.jpg
Today, #92 "Kaite" entered service on the B&UL. Here she is seen running around the train before returning to the platform.
The springs are softer than my other CSB engines. It seems to me that the outer axles are softer than the centre, driven axle, however, no porpoising has been noticed, and she is very sure footed.
I am very pleased with the results.
Cheers,

Mark.

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:13 pm

Mark - she looks really good. Amazing the transformation of a childhood toy. Fantastic to recommission grandma's gift all these years later. Love it!

Neil B

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:36 pm

Is the body still the same length?
I shortened mine to make it into the correct LSWR railmotor / shunter but never built the chassis. The valve gear put me off at the time (20 years ago).
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:23 am

Yup, same length, but I changed the chimney, the front windows, removed the front sandboxes, squared the smokebox saddle, moved the front steps, new buffers, a lick of paint, etc.

I started it about 20 years ago too...
Cheers,

Mark.

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Tue May 01, 2012 8:47 pm

This video was taken last weekend at GBTS 2012 by friend and fellow modeller John Kendal from the British Model Railway club of Montreal.
It shows "Kaite" in action.
Cheers,

Mark.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”