Kernow Beattie Well Tank to P4?

Andrew Ullyott

Re: Kernow Beattie Well Tank to P4?

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:26 pm

Jeremy
I used AGW frames and bits from the Westward kit to do mine. Rear axle fixed and front two compensated. I did use the Westward white metal body though. I don’t recall any particular problems other than needing to solder up cross heads.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:37 pm

Jol Wilkinson wrote:....AGW list a set of profile milled frames, so that's another option.

They're not much better than the Westward fret; I examined a set when looking for an alternative to the weak Westward frames, and didn't like the lack of space above the axle positions.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:45 am

Horsetan wrote:
Jol Wilkinson wrote:....AGW list a set of profile milled frames, so that's another option.

They're not much better than the Westward fret; I examined a set when looking for an alternative to the weak Westward frames, and didn't like the lack of space above the axle positions.

The AGW frames often seem relatively thin over the axle cutouts, a property shared by many fames with standard square axle cut-outs for hornblocks, but, given they are made of 20thou hard brass this really isn't a issue. I've made a number of chassis using 20 brass frames (some AGW some not) which share this feature and had no problems making a strong rigid chassis.

No connection with AGW other than as a satisfied customer

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:56 pm

Andrew,

Thanks, that's helpful.

I was beginning to think that the AGW frames, or some I cut out myself, were going to be the way forward for this project. As Will L says, the extra thickness would appear to overcome the relatively limited frame depth over the cutout (thanks for reminding me of that Will). At least I know that this option is a viable solution to produce a working model.

Jeremy

barhamd

Postby barhamd » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:13 pm

There is a video on Youtube which shows the current EFE release. To say it is less than complimentary would be a bit of an understatement.

How many of the things he thought were an issue would be a problem for someone who is going to convert it to P4 I'm not sure.

David

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:39 am

I probably wished I hadn't watched this, but then I don't intend to buy one. He seems to have missed that the cheap little motor he spoke of looks like a coreless one, but testing the poor thing on the floor?!! Most of what he pointed out I'd agree with, though, even if some of his terminology was also a bit suspect, and which from our point of view amounts to 'I wouldn't start from here...'

The impressions I had of the earlier model was that it wasn't that badly made, even if the mechanicals were not suitable for the likes of us. It will be interesting to see what EFE make of some of the other re-introductions.

Philip

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:44 am

Jeremy Good wrote:....I couldn’t see the wheels on the Mousa Models website - how do I order a set?

You'll need to contact Bill directly about his wheels; they won't be on his website since they are still experimental. They have 3D-printed centres, although the spokes look a bit thick compared to photos of the real thing.

I can't remember what the cost was. Think it was around £42.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”