NER J-21 65098

Steve Taylor

NER J-21 65098

Postby Steve Taylor » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:39 am

Morning all. I'm looking for pictures of 65098 as reference material for a 4mm model using the London Road Models kit. I've chosen this as a suitable candidate for my proposed layout since it remained a Darlington engine all its working life going to the scrapman with many similar engines from Kirkby Stephen and West Auckland in 1954. I've found some pics in Yeadon and in Chapman's Railway Memories 17, however google has thrown up references to ebay sales in the last 3 years showing evidence of the loco on the Darlington and Barnard Castle branch (a bonus as my chosen location is Broomielaw on this branch). Any material or pointers would be most welcome and appreciated.

Cheers all
Steve

Steve Taylor

Re: NER J-21 65098

Postby Steve Taylor » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:54 pm

Right I've started collating what info I have already and have thrown up some small detail questions

This engine as withdrawn carried a diag 67a boiler (recieved 14months before withdrawal)and was superheated. A picture of taken WW2 shows no external mechanical lubricator, while one taken in 1948 shows an external mechanical lubricator fitted on the l/h-side. From what I can see it is not dissimilar to that fitted to j39 being driven by a link from the crankpin of the centre driving wheelset. Now the anorak question. Can anyone confirm if the loco served out its time after its last general overhaul in august '53 with the external drive or for that last period did it revert to an internal drive? If nothing is known about this particular loco, would anyone care to extrapolate from other J21s moved from Darlington, West Auckland or Kirkby Stephen sheds in 1954 and give me a best guesstimate? Late in their life many 3038gall j21 tenders appear to have had there lower tank platework renewed leaving a visible horizontal seam. Did that with 65098 have this seam during the period 1953-54.
I've plumbed for this short period since the previous boiler was plated differently and by opting for the last year of operation on Stainmore I can mix with what came after too.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”