Improving Hornby spamcans

Tim Hale

Improving Hornby spamcans

Postby Tim Hale » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Elsewhere on this website is an announcement that Shirley Goodall (widow of Albert) is ceasing business. I am planning to take the opportunity to visit one of the last shows that she and Jim Corbett are attending to acquire a few bits to improve my Bulleid airsmoothed Pacifics.

However what is necessary to improve the Hornby Chinese variant for running in the late 50's? The only comment that I have ever found was the replacement of the ashpan (in the S4S guide to St. Merryn), what else on the Hornby model could do with some of Albert's items?

Please note that I am not backdating my locos*, both are fundamentally OK for their chosen period - late 50's- but I am always open to suggestion over essential improvements.

Thanks

Tim

*Dorchester and Watersmeet.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Improving Hornby spamcans

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:51 pm

A much older conversion in Precision No 4. Also from SLAG. Might be worth a read, you never know.
http://www.scalefour.org/forum/s4-news.php Well down the page, Precision comes after S4News.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Tim Hale

Postby Tim Hale » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:32 pm

Thanks Keith,

I am still hoping that whoever was responsible for Tangmere on St Merryn will respond as the Chinese model is a very far cry from the old Tri-ang version.

So far, I have completed the cylinder drain cocks and the wheel conversion but I am puzzled by the comment in the St Merryn book concerning the ashpan.

Tim

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:52 am

Just a side-note: the Albert Goodall castings range has very recently been taken over by Robert Thompson of RT Models, so we might see parts starting to be resurrected towards the end of the year, or indeed next year.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”