Running in Bachmann Pannier 8750x

beakie

Running in Bachmann Pannier 8750x

Postby beakie » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:30 am

Hi Guys :D

Im new to p4 and enjoying the challedge all the time.

I've had a go at some wagon conversions and a coach, nothing serious, so far so good.

I've just started making my track and felt I needed to test formations with a 0-6-0 arangement, as this has a longer wheel base than other stock.

In order to run the chassis in I need to construct a Continuous Track and I plan to purchase a cheap Guagemaster controller til I decide on DCC, which seems the way forward.

Now the Question put simply, is , do I run in while waiting for the Ultrascale Wheelset in OO, or wait til after conversion. Given future Loco purchases and consideration of setting up a permanant continous test track are or factors in my mind .

Hope some can help me, still feel a snake pit of future decisions to be made.

Any thoughts and contributions appreciated......

Regards

Dave

PS Love the new forum

Tim V

Re: Running in Bachmann Pannier 8750x

Postby Tim V » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:02 pm

Suggest you make sure you've got a good one, i.e. that the engine runs smoothly in OO. If it needs running in before conversion, it's not a good one. That way if it's a bit rough you can take it back. In my experience the Bachmann stuff is a bit variable.

if it runs smoothly in OO, then it should be OK in P4. Mine certainly are.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

beakie

Postby beakie » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:42 am

Hi Tim

Thanks for your reply....

So do RTR need running in?

I Think I will check it out in 00 1st as u suggest.

many thanks

Dave

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:02 pm

There are some problems that running in will not cure, even in RTR. That's why it's a good idea to check the loco before you do anything to it. A good RTR will only need minimal running in, but if you have one with a sticky motor for example, running in will not usually cure it. Take it back, get a better one. If it already has the P4 wheels on you could be stuffed :!:
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

beakie

Postby beakie » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:01 am

Hi Tim

Thanks for your advice tim.

I shall get up and running in 00.

Regards

Dave

Brinkly

Postby Brinkly » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:20 pm

Hi Dave,
I have converted, or rather I should say Tim Maddocks converted a Bachmann 8750 locomotive for me with a straight Ultrascale Wheel set and it runs like a dream. It is a excellent runner and is very, very smooth I ran the loco in on my 00 loft layout following Bachmann's instructions of 30 minutes in each direction followed with 4 further running in sessions at a low speed with an ex GWR Suburban B set.
The conversion was completed in around one hour thirty minutes which included a tea break! Tim said that it was a very easy conversion to do. I'll try and post some photos of the conversion on here for you to see.

Best wishes,
Nick

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:47 pm

Building an oval for running in is very space consuming, especially if it does not form part of your layout. Why not invest in a set of rollers for your workbench?
Either the Bachrus Saddle (40 series) http://www.digitrains.co.uk/productphil.html or the Bachmann E-Z Riders http://www.bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=americanho&prod=84 will work with both gauges and allow before and after checks right on the workbench.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

beakie

Postby beakie » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:09 pm

Ok guys :) Beakies burning the midnight oil :D

Sorry I missed the last couple of posts.

Time for a update; Recieved the Utrascale wheelset 2 days before xmas. Very impressed with the delivery and packaging.
guess the only little disappointment was the shiny wheels, after the shock of Bachmann blackened wheels, which I had not expected. Big clue to the fact that, I'm going to end up in the Weather/Soiled Finish camp.

The operation was as straight foward as the CLAG acticle had suggested, and this gave me the convidence for this operation. I even think I understand more about quartering, since recieving the wheel set, if only from the fact that it had been done for me. I did have some difficuly/fiddlying with the supplied bushes(hope thats correct term) for the coupling rods, even experienced problems tightening bushes, largely due to the fear of over tightening them.

I agree Kieth, the test track was a waste of time. I built it with far to tight a radius, even though I thought I had thought it through and planned it. I had run the engine(motor)whilst awaiting delivery of the P4 wheelset, for some time. Although I haven't been able to run in the New Wheelset/Worm as I would have liked, I am convident that the change/conversion has gone well and I'm hoping to have some P4 layout to run it on soon, not at great speed though.

Thanks Kieth for the links, I will definately purchase one of those, as an investment for all future Rtr's.

The only conclusion, from this is..... Next time I surely have to make a chassis for an RTR, as I feel I cheated this time.

Many thanks to all u guys.... Look forward to helping others in the future, when I can run..... :)

Regards

Dave

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:36 am

Interested to find this thread, as I've been planning to convert a R-T-R Bachmann pannier for myself (having seen how well Brinkly's one went that I did for him). One of the things I'm thinking of is cutting the wheel-retaining portion of the chassis (the plastic moulding with the brake shoes on it) down the middle and widening it by around 1mm to bring the moulded brakes more into line with the Ultrascale wheels.

I've run a few R-T-R locos in, in my time, including some diesels subsequently converted to P4. As Tim Venton says, some Bachmann R-T-R can be variable, especially steam outline. I'm convinced this is sometimes to do with not-quite-right quartering of the Bachmann OO wheelsets, so it occurs to me that there is very little value in running an OO loco in prior to conversion, as you will be starting all over again with new wheelsets (which despite being sold as pre-quartered, will benefit from at least a check to ensure that they actually are all exactly the same), and possibly new coupling rods as well (I've yet to decide whether I will be happy with slimmed down Bachmann rods or whether to go for something else to replace them, possibly Gibbo ones).

In some ways, I find it easier to just build a new brass chassis kit for a R-T-R body, rather than faff about with the R-T-R chassis, especially if outside valve gear is involved. The above pannier will be one of 3 57XX/8750 I plan to use, a 57XX has already been completed using an old Perseverance chassis kit that I'd had in stock. A High Level chassis kit is in the 'Nutkin Store' for the third one....
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:00 pm

I have a Bachmann 8750.

The conversion with the Ultrascale wheelsets was very straightforward. The engine is reasonably controllable, but is a bit noisy.

I have a Bachmann 2251 which is much smoother and quieter. Not sure why this is. I assume it is something to do with the motor itself rather than wheels or gears, but am open to any suggestions.

I have a couple more Bachmann 8750 chassis to put under other Pannier bodies. Must run them on the rolling road to see if they are any quieter (or noisier/rougher).

Martin Goodall

Return to “Steam Locomotives”