DJH 8F

HighlandRailwayman

DJH 8F

Postby HighlandRailwayman » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:49 am

Hi guys.
I've had a chance of a DJH 8F kit coming my way if I want it-how difficult is this to convert to P4? And to add CSB's to it? Would it require a new chassis or can the original be altered to suite?

Wanted to see if anyone else has had experience of one of these before I spend quite a bit on what could be a White elephant!

John Bateson

Re: DJH 8F

Postby John Bateson » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:09 am

My only experience of a DJH kit was a complete new chassis - the Britannia. I would expect the same issues.
JUohn
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Chris Mitton

Postby Chris Mitton » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:00 pm

Churchward wrote:
I've had a chance of a DJH 8F kit coming my way if I want it-how difficult is this to convert to P4? And to add CSB's to it? Would it require a new chassis or can the original be altered to suite?

I have a DJH 76xxx mogul which is totally inappropriate for my embryonic layout (1930's ish GN/GE Joint), but as 76079 is the only 12 inch to the foot engine I've driven more than a few hundred yards I had to have it (have yet to build the Tardis which will be in the station yard!). Unlike some of my kits, it has actually seen my soldering iron a few times in the last three years - I've built the body and tender and acquired a set of Ultrascales but, like John, concluded that the chassis was a complete no-no. The frames look as if they came off the Ark Royal and there just isn't room for anything sensible in the way of suspension. I'm thinking of getting the Comet chassis for it and putting CSBs on that but haven't got round to it yet.....I still need to wrestle with the spreadsheets and work out how much work the pony truck does, but that's another thread!

Regards
Chris

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:51 pm

Chris Mitton wrote:
Churchward wrote:

....the chassis was a complete no-no. The frames look as if they came off the Ark Royal and there just isn't room for anything sensible in the way of suspension. ....

The DJH frames are pretty prehistoric. I did try to modify the Standard 5 ones for P4 use. Chassis spacers were "EM" ones to try and bring the overall width to near 16mm, and I managed to install Exactoscale hornblocks in an attempt to replicate Pendlenton independent leaf-sprung suspension. Sawing the frames was a total pain in the grass - I snapped several piercing saw blades in the process.

I also tried the same tactic for the DJH "Duke of Gloucester", but couldn't get the frames straight at all - gave up and went for modified Comet "Britannia" frames, spaced at "EM" width to imitate the 3'3" spacing.

By some miracle, the DJH Std.5 frames all lined up and the driving wheels rolled freely with rods on, but then had to drill the holes for the spring supports and screw adjusters. Complete waste of time, now I look back at it - you'd be better off using the Comet chassis (or the Alan Gibson Std.5 chassis if you were lucky enough to acquire a spare set).
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Philbax

Postby Philbax » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:24 pm

I built a DJH Duchess and didn't even think about using the chassis. I went straight for a Comet one and suggest you go down the same route.
It's the easiest way if you want compensation or springing etc

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:02 pm

Yep, have to agree with the sentiments above - forget the DJH chassis - go directly to Mr Brewin and get yourself a set of etches for the engine from him. I have a beautiful running 8f and Brit with Comet chassis under them. Recommended!

If you want any heads up on the pitfalls of building the 8f chassis, drop me a PM. Bearing in mind these was the old brass chassis and not the new NS chassis etches that are available.

regards

Mike

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:15 am

My Comet 8F chassis was one for of the last OO loco kits I built before starting work on my P4 projects, and it was a joy to build.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”