Dapol/Model Rail Sentinel

LesGros

Re: Dapol/Model Rail Sentinel

Postby LesGros » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:35 am

Mark Tatlow wrote
I am in the slightly surprising position of having the wheels from Ultrascale but am still awaiting delivey of the Model Rail Sentinel! Mid August seems to be the date for this so well done for Ultrascale in beating Model Rail to it...

hi Mark,
I was given a similar delivery prediction for the Sentinel; it arrived yesterday so our comparative inventory position is reversed, I await the wheels. :)

cheers
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:06 am

Interesting thought here.... is this the cheapest way into P4 running loco?

If so maybe it would be worth publicise it for every one?
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:49 am

DougN wrote:Interesting thought here.... is this the cheapest way into P4 running loco? ...

Given the usual response time for Ultrascale orders, it would certainly be the quickest. :D
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:00 am

Given the usual response time for Ultrascale orders, it would certainly be the quickest.

Except that other suppliers of wheels provide quick delivery as a normal service. ;)

As the Sentinal is so far only a 'Model Rail' limited edition i rather think the more usual first locos of either the Bachmann Pannier or Jinty conversion with an AG conversion set remains a cheaper option.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:47 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:As the Sentinel is so far only a 'Model Rail' limited edition i rather think the more usual first locos of either the Bachmann Pannier or Jinty conversion with an AG conversion set remains a cheaper option.

Keith - as far as I know, the only 'limited' part of this production concerns the individual livery options, I don't think that the loco itself is a 'limited edition' per se. A second batch of different liveries is already planned, apparently.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:09 am

I ordered one of the sentinels last Friday morning (Aust time) and that was despatched Friday night. I arrived home this afternoon after a long weekend away (drove 780 Km today!) and saw the comments that the Ultrascale conversion had been released but the 18.83 version was sold out. I ordered a set anyway and had resigned myself to the 3 month wait. Well, I just received an email that the order had been completed so obviously they have produced another P4 batch. So get them orders in folks!

regards,

Craig Warton

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:01 am

The postal system is working good at the moment. A horn blaring followed by our dogs barking announced the arrival of the postie yesterday. The sentinel had arrived! The same routine today indicated that the Ultrascale conversion had arrived. David M and I had a bit of a joke about who would get theirs converted first and this head start was too good to pass up. Thirty minutes later I had the thing back together and running. Very nicely too. There is a blemish in the paintwork I need to attend too and a chip in the roof to fix...but it runs. If anyone is wavering about this - go for it. A really simple conversion and a lovely loco.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:59 pm

Has any one thoght of producing etched replacement guard irons for the Sentinel?

Gordon A
Bristol

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:09 pm

Well, I've gone and done it and ordered one, now, could someone please tell me what material the stock wheels are made from. I'm trying to decide if I want to try to turn down the originals or take the Ultrascale route.

Cheers,

David

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:29 pm

Does anyone know of a source (or could possibly scan for me please if you've got one) any pictures of the GWR ones, Nos. 12 or 13, taken in GWR days? I can't find anything on the internet, which is surprising, they're all LNER ones, and most of the pictures there are of the model. My library is lacking a bit in oddities like this...

Thanks, in hope!

Philip

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:08 am

Phillip,

I could not find anything in the Russell volumes, but I may have skipped past the page. But whilst I was browsing through the Wild Swan Malmesbury branch book, I noticed there is a photo of one of them in there. Apparently it was tried on the branch much to the disgust of the local crew.

Thats it so far,

Craig Warton

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:02 am

Philip Hall wrote:Does anyone know of a source (or could possibly scan for me please if you've got one) any pictures of the GWR ones, Nos. 12 or 13, taken in GWR days?

Philip,

There is a picture of No.13 (taken by P J T Reed) in the RTCS book "The Locomotives of the GWR" pt.6 the "Four Couples Tanks" probably taken at Park Royal Trading Estate. It's possible that no picture of No.12 will exist as according to the book it was only in GW stock for for a few months (August to December 1926) before being returned to the makers in January 1927.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:16 pm

Thank you, gents, for pointing me in the right direction. As a result, I've managed to source copies from each book.

Philip

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:25 pm

Mine came in today and meets all expectations so far. One question, I can see how the gear cover comes off but the brake gear seems rather firmly fixed in place. Any hints for safe removal?

Cheers,

David

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:47 pm

I eased each brake hanger gently away from the floor a little at a time using fine pliers; although I'm told that some models have the hangers glued in place. The guard irons are firmly glued in however; if you wish to reposition them in the correct place for P4, as I did, then cutting them off and gluing new brass ones in their place may be the only option. They're only a little misplaced, however, and most people won't bother.

Philip

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:22 pm

A bit of an update. Mine (BR departmental loco # 57) has the brake gear securely glued in place to the base and the gear cover. I think it will be possible to leave the rodding attached and still remove the gear cover but the rest will have to be surgically removed. A bit of improvisation should see things right but not quite a 20 minute job for this version. I'm going to leave well enough alone until the Ultrascales come and run in the mechanism on some 00 layouts.

A further update, I was running in my Sentinel on a 00 layout today and one of the other lads had brought his as well. Different model, same glued brake gear.

Cheers,

David

Return to “Steam Locomotives”