Chassis kits for Airfix Fowler 0-6-0

Sapper

Chassis kits for Airfix Fowler 0-6-0

Postby Sapper » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:47 pm

I have an Airfix model of the Fowler 4F 0-6-0 and wish to convert to 18.83 gauge. Can anyone please advise me as to the best or easiest chassis to use for this as chassis building is NOT one of my strong points. Looking at the advertisers I have seen the Bill Bedford, Comet and Finescale versions all of which seem to have various pros and cons. I would prefer some sort of springing system as opposed to compensation as with a fixed axle it is difficult to remove in case of maintenance. I would intend to use a Mashima type motor with High Level gearbox working on the trailing axle.

Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Sapper

Armchair Modeller

Re: Chassis kits for Airfix Fowler 0-6-0

Postby Armchair Modeller » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:14 pm

I happen to have a Bill Bedford chassis surplus to requirements if you are interested. It certainly looks very easy to put together.

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:40 pm

Given your requirements the Bill Bedford chassis would be the one. My experiences with the BB J72 chassis/frame can be found here; viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1037 and my be of some use.

HTH

David

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:45 pm

I successfully built one of Bill's 4F chassis and would certainly recommend it.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:03 pm

The two good options are the Bill Bedford chassis (as mentioned but here is a link to his site - http://www.mousa.biz/frames/lms_loco_frames.html) or the Comet equivalent (see here - http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/modules/vi ... Components).

In both cases, these represent the present best practise etching in my eyes. This uses CAD design to make sure that the rebates for the hornblocks and the coupling rods are exactly the same and exactly repeated on both sides. No matter how hard you tried with a drawing pen, you would not get it quite so accurate. Indeed, the Comet version does not use discrete hornblocks, instead the bearing slides into slots that are etched straight into the mainframes.

I have not built either, but have built similar and they are as easy to build as any chassis I have come across.
Mark Tatlow

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:03 pm

The two good options are the Bill Bedford chassis (as mentioned but here is a link to his site - http://www.mousa.biz/frames/lms_loco_frames.html) or the Comet equivalent (see here - http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/modules/vi ... Components).

In both cases, these represent the present best practise etching in my eyes. This uses CAD design to make sure that the rebates for the hornblocks and the coupling rods are exactly the same and exactly repeated on both sides. No matter how hard you tried with a drawing pen, you would not get it quite so accurate. Indeed, the Comet version does not use discrete hornblocks, instead the bearing slides into slots that are etched straight into the mainframes.

I have not built either, but have built similar and they are as easy to build as any chassis I have come across.
Mark Tatlow

Sapper

Postby Sapper » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:21 pm

To all who responded thanks for the info. It seems as though the Bill Bedford kit is the preferred option so I will try that one.

Regards

Sapper

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:03 pm

If you are fortunate enough to find a second-hand Bill Bedford 4F chassis kit, then you need to carefully check that the coupling rods match the wheelbase.

I bought one of the first batch of these kits and some time later a supplementary etch turned up with correct rods on it.

Bill might well have altered the artwork for later versions of the kit.

Whichever route you take, be sure to share your progress on here :)
James Dickie

My workbench

Return to “Steam Locomotives”