LMS Garratt

Hardwicke

LMS Garratt

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:09 am

Has anyone used a Kitmaster Garratt for the basis of a scale model? How good is it? Is it worth throwing away the chassis and making a new one (MR standard spacing and rods obviously). Someone suggested a Crab but they didn't know about wheel diameters and such like. Also how much do they go for now? I've looked on the web but cannot find a price for them.
Last edited by grovenor-2685 on Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sorry, don'y like to see the name of my favourite locos mistaken for traction engines., Keith
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Horsetan

Re: LMS Garratt

Postby Horsetan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:49 pm

Judging by recent examples on eBay, I'd say you're looking at somewhere north of £90 for a Kitmaster Garratt. More if it's unbuilt and in the original packaging.

I've seen the "Crab" chassis kit suggested before, but your other alternative is the Fowler 2-6-4T chassis (remove the rear bogie section and you'll be fine). Both can be had from Comet.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:49 pm

Gibson also do milled frames for the Garratt. I have it down as a long term project - I have a poorly made-up example of the Kitmaster kit. I would not use a pristine example - too valuable! I remember checking it out against the drawings in an old RM and finding it was much too long. It was a great relief when in the next edition CJF apologised for the printers contracting the 4mm scale drawing to make it fit the page.

The Kitmaster kit seems to be pretty good dimensionally, but needs a lot of detail added and edges refined.

Good luck and keep us informed. (Even though I had hoped to be the first to get a P4 version working!)

Ian

essdee

Postby essdee » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:28 pm

As to the mantle of first builder of a P4 LMS Garratt; the late Bob Barrott completed one from the DJH (? I think) kit five or six years ago to run on his 'Bolsover' layout - there may have been earlier examples but I am not aware of them. One slight problem was, with a reasonable length of train coupled on, the Garratt was already half-way to the other fiddle yard.....Bob did muse about completing a circuit of his garage to give it a bit of a run, but very sadly, he did not live to see this particular dream fulfilled. Like all Barrott locomotives, it was beautifully engineered and a lovely runner - Bob felt that the four sets of Walschaerts valve gear must have been good for the soul, after building so many simple MR outline prototypes.

Good luck with your own Kitmaster version!

Best wishes

Steve

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:56 pm

Of course, we now know it's possible to wait a couple of years and buy and convert a R-T-R one...
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”