Loose Tyres

John Bateson

Loose Tyres

Postby John Bateson » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:53 am

Yesterday I put lots of bit into the ultrasonic cleaner (no additives). Today, three axles have very loose tyres. Is there a reliable fix for this or shoud I just bite the bullet and buys three new sets of wheels?
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

steamraiser

Re: Loose Tyres

Postby steamraiser » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:59 pm

Why not glue the tyres back on using a self centering glue such as Loctite?

Gordon A
Bristol

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:00 pm

Did you glue the tyres on in the first place? Loose tyres are a well known problem, which can be prevented.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:15 pm

I can't recall ever gluing on the tyres but I do have some Loctite - I shall try this - thanks for the suggestion.
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

John Fitton

Postby John Fitton » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:07 pm

Just for clarity,

What type of loctite should be used for securing a) tyres, and b) wheels onto axles?

John Fitton

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:04 pm

jf2682 wrote:Just for clarity,

What type of loctite should be used for securing a) tyres, and b) wheels onto axles?

Hi John,

There are probably a few grades of Loctite ("other brands and flavours of engineering adhesive are available...") that would do the job.

Personally, for (a) I actually use superglue, of whatever form I have to hand at the time. This is as I don't see it as a high-strength requirement as it's not subject to particular forces, just needs to hold the tyre in place.

For (b) I use <rummages in glues box> Loctite 603, of which I picked up a new small vial earlier this year. You only need a smear, and a bottle seems to last forever.

I'm sure that others have different preferences, but this works for me.

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:11 pm

I would use epoxy resin - my favourite sets in 30 minutes, giving plenty of time to set the tyres on the centres. Loctite etc go off too quickly in my book.
Tim V

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:05 pm

I think 603 is best avoided for wheel to tyre or axle fitting as it was this that Chris Pendlenton had much grief with in doing Gerry Beale's 8F. He found that Loctite themselves say it won't work on plastic. I've had some success with Hafixs on slippery plastics, and I sometimes use this for carriage and wagon wheels, dropping some into the joint when they're firmly on or putting a dab between wheel and axle. 601 seems to be good for the axle to wheel fitting on vehicles but I have no idea whether 601 is just the older version of 603 - I've had mine for years. I do agree with Tim that a slower setting epoxy is really best for tyres - I'm thinking loco tyres here - good old fashioned Araldite Precision is good but has no sticking power at all until it begins to go off (several hours). My favourite is Plastic Padding Super Steel from Halfords, the one in yellow tubes that mixes to a dark grey, as opposed to the variety in some hardware stores in blue tubes that is much stiffer and is light grey. What 30 minute epoxy do you use, Tim?

As for loco wheels to axles, here I don't see a lot of point in glue, super or otherwise, since, as Chris P says, if the axle is a good fit in the hole all the glue will get pushed out when you press the axle in. Where necessary, I pin them as Tim does.

Philip

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:56 pm

I use Pacer Z-Poxy, it's American, I bought it in the local model aeroplane shop.
Tim V

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:35 am

I still have Loctite 601 in the drawer. I tried it when modifying the AG "Bulleid Q1" drivers to something approximating the domed faces, and they have held the centres into the tyres quite well.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”