Current thinking on boiler bands?

barhamd

Current thinking on boiler bands?

Postby barhamd » Mon May 02, 2011 9:30 pm

I'm building a GE/LNER/BR D16/3.

DSCF3344.JPG

The PDK kit includes some half etched material for boiler bands, I guess the best thing to do is discard them and make my own from insulation tape or something an awful lot finer?

You can see more on my rmweb blog http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/186/entry-6531-boiler-for-d163/

thanks
David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

craig_whilding

Re: Current thinking on boiler bands?

Postby craig_whilding » Mon May 02, 2011 10:17 pm

Is it going to have boiler lining? The material shown to me by a pro painter was the home made transfer paper you can buy which he lined and then fitted as needed. It produced very fine boiler banding and was quicker/easier than lining on the model!

Will L

Postby Will L » Mon May 02, 2011 11:39 pm

craig_whilding wrote:Is it going to have boiler lining? The material shown to me by a pro painter was the home made transfer paper you can buy which he lined and then fitted as needed. It produced very fine boiler banding and was quicker/easier than lining on the model!

...Or use a commercial lining transfer but it comes to the same thing.

Will

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue May 03, 2011 6:59 am

barhamd wrote:I'm building a GE/LNER/BR D16/3.

The PDK kit includes some half etched material for boiler bands, I guess the best thing to do is discard them and make my own from insulation tape or something an awful lot finer?

It probably sounds heretical, but I quite like the look of half-etched boiler bands.

I know that in theory they are only something like 1/8th" in thickness, and really shouldn't have any relief at all. However there is something about the way that in real life the edge of them catches the light and/or dirt that means that something slightly overscale seems (IMHO) to give a better impression.

If they were cast boiler bands I'd file them off, as they don't seem to have the same definition to them, but I'd personally go with etched ones over flat transfers.

See my Y14 at http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8017#p8017 (if the link works) for what I mean.

My 2p
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Tue May 03, 2011 8:17 pm

Transfer thickness for me.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Tue May 03, 2011 8:58 pm

Really.. transfer thickness...yep I'd go with that. If it wasn't for the fact that I use the etched lines/ moulded lines to get the transfers straight I'd have done away with boiler bands on my engines years ago. One of the handicaps of not being able to see or draw a straight line! :evil:

Mike

barhamd

Postby barhamd » Tue May 03, 2011 9:58 pm

The loco will be unlined.

Thanks to you all for confirming what I was planning.

David

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue May 03, 2011 10:38 pm

Mike Garwood wrote:... I'd go with that. If it wasn't for the fact that I use the etched lines/ moulded lines to get the transfers straight I'd have done away with boiler bands on my engines years ago.

If your prepared to try, I think you'll find getting the transfer/boiler bands on on strait is a job that turns out to be a lot easier than it looks. Certainly quite as easy as soldering on a metal band.

Will

Return to “Steam Locomotives”