Small diversion - High Level Mineral 0-4-0

Will L

Re: Small diversion - High Level Mineral 0-4-0

Postby Will L » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:11 pm

Been there done that on the Y5 which is essentially the same chassis. I'm not quite sure what the instructions intended either. The bush can't be left lose, so perhaps the idea was to Loctite it in place, but that sounds a bit hazardous. I took the Gibson crank pin nut turned inwards line and this is what it looks like.

Y5 crank pin 3.jpg

The Gibson nut is already a top hat shape and turned over it can substitute for the crank pin bush while retaining a descent length of thread, which personally I would prefer to a wafer thin nut. The nut is long enough to tighten down onto the wheel face while leaving enough clearance for the coupling rod to turn freely. As the shank of the nut proved to be a slightly larger diameter than the bush, the rods had to be reamed out a little bit further. The notch in the rim of the nut is needed so you can get a grip on it to screw it down or remove it. The end of the axle still needs paint.

Will
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DougN

Postby DougN » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:01 am

thanks Will and David there seems to be a lot more clearance on yours. The one thing that I have been avoiding doing is taking the cross heads apart due to the possibility of soldering the whole lot solid. (did it once... not recommended) i have a clear day coming up tomorrow. So I might get the gear out again and have another go!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

hollybeau

Postby hollybeau » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:59 pm

My thanks to David and to Will for a) these suggestions and b) the confidence to go on knowing it could be done. In the end I opted for Will's suggestion largely because of the benefit of the added thread on the crankpin nut. There has been a flurry of activity over the last few days and I now feel I can display the (nearly completed) model without too much embarrassment. Although Elsecar Colliery existed (my father worked there) I have no evidence that a Neilson was in use at the time of the model (1907). The colour is an invention as I like the model in red but wanted it to be sufficiently different to the crimson lake of the Midland locos on the line. I feel it is too bright and glossy so some judicious weathering will have to follow. I also need a crew (Mike's Model's?) and a nameplate. I am thinking of "Earl Fitwilliam" - the colliery owner - but the nameplate could end up being longer than the tank sides! Here are the photos:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:12 am

Well done! FWIW my crew was from Gibson with a bit of surgery on the driver to lower his arm to a more appropriate position for the type on engine.

Cheers,

David

Return to “Steam Locomotives”