Comet stanier tender chassis questions

simonmoore

Comet stanier tender chassis questions

Postby simonmoore » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:11 pm

Having started my first project for this year i have hit a bit of a problem. So far the Comet products have fallen together & without many problems. Today i have been working more on the model but i have found in places the instructions to be a bit vague when it comes to certain things. One of the things i am struggling with is the tender chassis. The model i am building is a midland compound chassis to fit the hornby body i've choosen to take the csb option on the chassis using high level products which brings me to the chassis kit. Looking at the chassis & the instructions it doesnt mention much in the way of springing only that there are holes for the compensation beam which is not really what i want to do. Could someone please explain this for me & how i go about springing the chassis on the tender without major surgery.

Regards,

Simon

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Comet stanier tender chassis questions

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:36 pm

Info here on how I sprung a Comet tender chassis, runs fine.
Doing one now I would use Bill B's kit instead, save the extra work of altering the Comet one from its design.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

simonmoore

Postby simonmoore » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:17 pm

Thank you for the reply Keith,

Having read how you did your conversion & i the alternative, i am going to go down the Bill Bedford route because i know i can build one of those & get a good finish to something i am hoping is going to be my first fully sprung loco chassis in P4.

Simon.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:08 pm

Simon
I don't know how much of a rush you're in but I would be prepared to wait for Dave Franks range of sprung tender chassis. I believe that there are pictures on the CLAG website. They really look the business..

regards

Mike

simonmoore

Postby simonmoore » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:36 pm

Mike i have not heard of that range but as you say they are not out yet i shall take a look on the clag site. Although i am now going down the Bill Bedford route they may be of use in the future with other locos i have or plan on building.

Simon

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:38 pm

This is where you'll find them...right at the bottom of this linked page.

cheers

Mike

http://www.clag.org.uk/csb-gallery.html

simonmoore

Postby simonmoore » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:54 am

They look great Mike possibly a little over complex for my own taste but i would certainly entertain one on the work bench & see how they go. I was looking at an old Crownline chassis kit i have for the airfix/dapol standard 4 & it looks like i am going to be scratch building this chassis unless gibson can offer some frames for a standard tender.

Simon.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”