Nomenclature

John Bateson

Nomenclature

Postby John Bateson » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:15 am

I have been trying to attach labels to things on the side of a Belpaire boiler.
There appear to be two rows of something on the firebox sides, the lower rows are the wash-out plugs - which I can get from Eileen's (LF4WP01) but the upper row appears to be elliptical - are these just inspection panels? And does anybody know of a supplier of such, or will I have to make these myself?
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Jan

Re: Nomenclature

Postby Jan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:09 pm

Hi John,

I'm pretty sure these would be mudhole doors - basically inspection panels. They are built to be large enough to allow hoses and/or tools (usually copper-ended so they don't harm the inner firebox) to ensure that scale build-up around the important heating surfaces can be removed. I believe the GW called them "handhole doors". They are VERY handy fro getting a torch in to check the integrity of firebox stays. Not sure if anyone does a 4mm version. [EDIT] Alan Gibson Spring 2011 Catalogue (Version 02.00.00), Page 8:

4M814 Mud hole covers (x4)

[End of EDIT]

They are held in place by an arch clamp, and the central pin is offset to allow them to be turned and removed so that the packing rings around them can be replaced at washout.

Cheers

Jan

John Bateson

Re: Nomenclature

Postby John Bateson » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:48 pm

Many thanks for your answer and the pointer to the AG Solution - will have to get some...
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Return to “Steam Locomotives”