request for gauge/scale information

spencerman

request for gauge/scale information

Postby spencerman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:40 pm

Hi folks
I am about to place on ebay (well in a day or 2, the package is not yet ready) a vintage Otaki construction kit for a JNR 3' 6" gauge C62, which I believe is a bit of a collectors item. Maybe my maths is faulty on my spreadsheet, but I cannot come to a satisfactory answer as to what the model gauge is. The scale stated on the box is "1:50 identical scale", and the tracks provided as a mounting are approximately 21.5mm center point to centre point on the plinth where the tracks are assembled. I cannot be exact as the model has not been assembled, and the packages of parts not opened apart from the box! Has anyone got an opinion please? If i am in the wrong place on the forum please bump me over, and my apologies.
best regards
Philip

spencerman

Re: request for gauge/scale information

Postby spencerman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:43 pm

I have rehashed my maths. It looks like 25.4mm to 1ft. Does that equate to anything recognised?
baffeld
Philip

spencerman

Postby spencerman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:56 pm

Well it seems that the nearest "standard" type model track is that for S scale, but that makes a nonsense of 1:50, with a real life track of 3' 6", so I reckon this is a dead end question, thanks for those who have found the time to read the post. The model is for looking at when built, I must admit it is very detailed. However I did not buy it,I inherited it....It is 30 years plus old now, I guess.
regards
Philip

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:10 pm

Well the 3'6" is 1067mm which at 1:50 comes out to 21.34 which is pretty much what your first post suggests. as a showcase model it does not need to be a common modelling gauge.
At 25.4mm to the foot the gauge would be 88.9 mm, the scale 1:12, which would be a very big model ;)

1:50 is of course just a tad smaller than 1:48, hence falls into the band of scales used for 0 gauge if modelling std gauge prototypes.

Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

spencerman

Postby spencerman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:27 pm

Tks Keith

looks like my maths are still awry.....
regards
Philip

spencerman

Postby spencerman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:37 pm

it should be 305 mm to the foot according to the real life 3' 6".
I think I have got it right now, I must acquire a reliable scale / gauge converter.
bifn

spencerman

Postby spencerman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:39 pm

forget that, that is wrong too.
I will retire hopefully gracefully until tomorrow,
egg on face
binow
Philip

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:09 am

spencerman wrote:I will retire hopefully gracefully until tomorrow,

No need, surely - Keith's come up with the right answer, hasn't he?
3ft 6ins is 1066.8mm. The track gauge of the model is 21.5mm. Divide 1066.8 by 21.5 and you come up with 49.6 which is, of course, as near as dammit 1:50.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1:50_scale
DT

Return to “Steam Locomotives”