LNER A3 numbers post war

Philbax

LNER A3 numbers post war

Postby Philbax » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:32 pm

Hi
I am building a finney A3, and I want a version dated between 1945 & 1947.
I understand they where repainted apple green after the war from wartime black.
Also they were renumber after the war before being renumber in BR times. it it this inbetween period I am seeking number for.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for a scource of these numbers

Philbax

Re: LNER A3 numbers post war

Postby Philbax » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:46 pm

Posting my own reply
site http://www.lner.info/locos/A/a1a3a10.shtml has the info but in reality you take the last 2 or 3 numbers of the Br number

Philbax

Postby Philbax » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:09 pm

Next query
What format where the numbers and company letters?
I presume that at that stage they had reverted to LNER from the NE of the war.
Where the cabside numbers in transfer form?
I ask because I have an A4 in garter blue for the period with stainless LNER on the tender and 25 on the cabside

thanks
Phil

Postby 45609 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:48 pm

Hi Phil,

Here are a few key reference sources that will give you the info you require.

1. RCTS Locomotives of the LNER vol. 2A, ISBN 0901115258. This gives a definitive history of the Gresley A1/A3 class including a fold out list a the back giving repainting and renumbering dates for every member of the class.

2. Yeadon's Register vol. 1 Gresley A1 and A3 classes, ISBN 1871608090. Has lots of good quality photos and a summary allocation and workshop visit history for each locomotive.

3. The Book of the A3 Pacifics, ISBN 1903266394. A good written and pictorial record of the class.

I'd say 1 is essential reading and either 2 or 3 will give you good livery info for the period you have in mind. A quick inspection of the RCTS volume shows that between 1945 and the end of 1947 you could have all but 3 of the class in black or green. The LNER went through a mass loco renumbering in 1946 (in actuality the A1/A3s were renumbered twice but most never carried the first allocated renumbering) so it is feasible to have a black loco with three different numbers depending on your precise moment in history. All green locos would have had the last allocated number as post war repaints into green were done after the renumbering was complete.

If you have a specific loco in mind then send me a message and I can look it up for you.

Cheers....Morgan

Philbax

Postby Philbax » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:34 pm

Thanks for the info. Better put the books on the xmas list.
Thanks also for the offer, I'm not sure which loco to model yet, all new to me as I am an LMS modeller in the main but cannot resist really good kits from finney.
Falcon was easy as it did route over LM metals during the waverly route closure after the war so that's the excuse, just need to find one for the A3
phil

Philbax

Postby Philbax » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:44 am

Thanks guys for the info. Still trying to find the books, one supplier whose website says they are in stock has informed me that his supplier does not have them.
So, more help please.
I want to model the A3 in the period 1946-7.
I don't mind if it is green or balck, although black would make an interestingly different model and reqquire less lining out, but where there any in black at this period? I understand that they were repainted green after the war circa 1946.
Once I can identify possible loco's then I can search for nameplates.

Phil

rule55

Postby rule55 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:53 am

Ebay is a pretty good source for the RCTS books. I've just checked and there's a volume 2a listed currently with no bids at £5.50. The same seller also has Yeadon's volume 1 (A1s and A3s) for sale at the same starting price.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”