Bradwell Q6

DougN

Re: Bradwell Q6

Postby DougN » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:11 am

Thanks Neil. I have started to put some more of the details on last night. 2 hours 4 parts! :o Then again I should stop talking to SWMBO and listening to the TV. I have found where I was up to on the instructions and repaired the openings in the boiler which I had incorrectly opened out. (Brass plate behind and solder infill!then sand back) Back to it tonight! :D
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Neil S Wood

Postby Neil S Wood » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:09 am

DougN wrote:Thanks Neil. I have started to put some more of the details on last night. 2 hours 4 parts! :o Then again I should stop talking to SWMBO and listening to the TV. I have found where I was up to on the instructions and repaired the openings in the boiler which I had incorrectly opened out. (Brass plate behind and solder infill!then sand back) Back to it tonight! :D

No worries Doug, that's the danger of working in the living room. ;)

Good luck with the rest. Look forward to seeing your progress.

cheers

Neil

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:42 am

Well I have actually been doing a bit now and then! I have been building up the cab detail, putting the axle boxes and LW brass castings for the hangers on! (I couldn't figure out what they were for a long time. They trap the whitemetal springs and axle box castings once soldered on!

The cab is nicely detailed and it will probably be what I will be working on during Mid somer murders tonight.... must be a very dangerous place to live :twisted: In the same way as it never rains on Neighbours :shock: or the main character needs to get to the convinences in a hurry because of the curry! :o

Any how back to the model. The handrail knobs have been put onto the boiler. I am trying to allow the boiler to be separated from the foot plate for later painting, in the same way as I am trying to allow the cab detail to be removable! I am going on with a new game called identify that brass casting. I need to find the one for the blower from inside the hand rail on the left hand side and the I think sanding lever on the right.... but the number is decreasing :D
backhead 01.jpg

backhead 02.jpg

This shows the bit that needs to be removed to allow the assembly to slid into place!

Backhead 03.jpg

And now for a few general shots!
The tender
Tender with axle boxes installed.jpg

The brass castings looked like stirips with a blob at the end. Then I figured out that the spring goes inside the stirups! the castings are fantastic BTW a light file to the back of the spring and they slid into the brass! Mr Bradwell you have done it again!
Left and right of the loco!
DSC_0512.JPG

DSC_0513.JPG

If people want to see the Black hawthorn with a bit more interesting things done I am sorry to disappoint. I am awaiting a set of wheels from Mr Seymour but he is awaiting another production batch to get me a set. Then I will be into the chassis on that too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:57 pm

It is nice at the moment as I am jumping between the Q6 and the Black Hawthorn. When a bit gets hard on one jump to the other and do an easy bit!... don't ask when they all get hard :evil: . Last night I put together the Black Hawthorn's dome, with the levers and the lost wax castings for the supply to the injectors. I thought that it would be really difficult to get it all to work but it was a cast of slow and steady, hot iron and patience. I have the cab to do tonight and then I am seriously into the chassis.....Mr Seymores wheels are really needed now! I have already done the gearbox and formed the underside of the boiler (which just needs soldering up and it is done) So the Little'un is getting further along than the Q6.

Does any one have any photos of the Q6's back head. As you may have noticed above the fittings are not fixed to the back head at the moment as I am not sure which style/or combination is somewhere near correct. I have the back head photo of the Q7 in the Loco's of the NER (Ken Hoole) but I think there must be one of the Q6 some where. If any one is willing to scan and email or post the back head I would appreciate it! (oh the loco that I am settling on is LNER 2280which has a nice photo in the RCTS book!)
Doug

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:26 am

DougN wrote:...Does any one have any photos of the Q6's back head. .....

Here

Here

Links to other Q6 photos here
That would be an ecumenical matter.

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:16 am

Thanks Ivan,

I still can't quite ge the idea right. The cab I am doing is a non steam brake fitted loco. The guages and valves will be about right. Though there is 2 types. I am trying to find out if they used only one type at a time or did they end up with both types at the same time. the T3 (Q7) photo in the NER has one typ on both sides. I am assuming that this is the newer type. As I am modelling the Dia. 50 Boiler which is an older type does this have hte other style of pipework. My search may continue.

The Preservied Q6 does look good in the photos however, the detailing on the tender is quite different to the orginal. Dave Bradwell even states as much in the instructions. ALso the rivets along the coping in one photo just doesn't sit well with me!.... I hope it is running on the Autumn Gala at the NYMR in september :D
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:52 am

Well I really should rename this tread to DougN's workbench.

What have I been up too. Other than having some serious problems with the fourletter word that I have to turn up to each day. I have been doing a little bit of modelling. It is a little Roger Chivers Finelines LMS Horsebox.

horsebox 01.jpg

Horse box 02.jpg

The kit is quite nice to put together and but I am finding the old brass a little smelly :shock: I know it must be well over 20 years old I guess. It only has OO wheels at the moment but I will find the P4 wheels to drop in later. The brake gear is non existant really and I have to look at how that "should" work and make a representation (if it can be seen).

It has taken me a bit of digging but I think I have found a way to get the LMS maroon here in a car paint colour which will make the painting alot easier. I guess when I finally get away from work I will have a few kits to paint! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:33 am

Well it has been a couple of weeks since I updated things. Now that I am on Holidays I can actually do some modelling. (well that was supposed to start last week but the week disappeared) well this week some little things have moved forward. I have got to "Autobarn" here in Australia and found what i think is a close match to the LMS coach colour. For the LMS horse box:-

DSC_0723.JPG

Then I got excited as I thought that another old etched brass wagon would be a nice distraction last Saturday night so a GWR Mica that I have had for a while got a belting until I looked at the brake gear.... Never come across GWR brake gear before.... ummm how does this fit together??? So I think I may have figured it out so that is the next challange to put together.
DSC_0725.JPG

The paint colour is from "Powerplus" spray and Brush system. (I love the fact that is says made in Australia but with a New Zealand address!) The colour is Code PJ5100 and there was a darker of PJ5050 (I think) As colour is a subjective issue for a lot of people I think it has come out quite nicely..(tell me otherwise please) the colour was a bit of a challange as I had googled the colour and come up with some car colours manufacturers type (Ford Damask red for one) But being on the otherside of the earth the car colour charts here don't list it! So I had to have a guess!

I will also remember that "AutoBarn" has a etch primer which is the first time I have seen one here. Also there is a "plastic" primer for car bumpers which might be appropriate for styrene.... Why do I think Autobarn may become one of my regular suppliers.
Doug

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:06 am

Doug, it's always difficult to tell colour balance from a photo, but it looks pretty good to me. I wouldn't expect a visit from the Livery Enforcement Police if I were you
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:59 am

DougN wrote:I will also remember that "AutoBarn" has a etch primer which is the first time I have seen one here. Also there is a "plastic" primer for car bumpers which might be appropriate for styrene.... Why do I think Autobarn may become one of my regular suppliers.

Hi Doug,

Just one word of warning on the plastic primer. I actually have a can here at home, for the original purpose of spraying vehicle plastics (motorbike fairings to be exact).

It might be a different formulation, but in the UK primer for car bumpers usually contains a filler as well, to enable you to smooth out imperfections such as scratches. This means that it goes on as a rather thick coat, and leaves you to rub it down afterwards to get a smooth finish.

Whilst this means that it's great for the original purpose, it could result in your carefully assembled Coopercraft wagon looking as though it has been caught in a sudden fall of dirty snow!

So if you get a can, do give it a really good shake and experiment on some scrap surfaces first.

HTH
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:33 am

Thanks Ealing, I am glad you think the colour is pretty close. Looking at the item next to the screen it is pretty good likeness. It is hard with out going through all the paints in the shop. (yet at $14AUD to the tin not that much to change to a different tin)

Thanks Flymo, I will take that into account if I go and buy a tin of the plastic primer.

Actually this is the first time that I have been realy happy with the colour and finish I have achieved so far. I will mask up the underframe for the black once I am sure that the paint has hardened.

I should say how I acheived the finish. I cleaned the brass with a abrasive sauce pan cleaner for esteel saucepans,(I think this may be similar to the shiny sinks product in the UK) scrubed with a soft toothbrush, rinced twice in warm water, left it for 24 hours high on a cabinet to dry. Today I left the cans inside near a vent(central heating is on at 20degrees) gave them a good 5minutes of shaking then let them settle for the 2 minutes...then more shaking. Then use. I undercoated thinly, then left for 3 hours...then coated with the top colour. Another coat 20 minutes later.
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:14 am

Well the method of painting really does work well. I have now painted the black hawthorn using the same undercoat and Tamiya spray Matt Black which is a little too semi gloss to be really Matt. AS the little loco is a bit of a diversion from the LNER for me I have to think up a nicer livery than just black (fetching though it is) I think I would like a bit of colour. I am thinking a brunswick green to the tank and the cab sheets.

With all this painting going on I seem to be getting better at it or I am buying the right paints and applying them correctly. Any time before I have struggled to get the right consistancy, coverage, thickness, cleanliness, or held my tongue the right way. May be it is a sign of patience that is comming out. I have also been reading the book by Steve Barnfield which I pickedup a week or so ago. One thing I will have to work out is the masking to get another colour onto the Black Hawthorn as it is a small but fiddly exercise. I willhave to get to the Model shop to find some of the masking tape or the plastic variety that Steve and others have used. I am thinking of the Tamiya tape here.

Photos will turn up when I get the chance tonight!
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:48 am

Well time for those Photo's First off the latest painted version of the LMS horse box. Glazing and lettering will have to be done in October after Scalefourum due to needing the transfers. The colour is different to the Hornby LMS full break but I think I like the richer colour so it is staying. I think I might leave it in almost ex works condition! One question though does anyone know the finish to the partition (could be polished timber? or Waist timber with cream above?) and the colour to the seat. The current one is in Ratio brown...as I found the lenght of seating that I had buried in the work desk!

LMS Horsebox 03.jpg

Now for the Black Hawthorn.
BH 05 130911.jpg

looks quite fetching! But I think another colour to the tanks and the cab might be in order.
Doug

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi Doug,

I'm going to try to attach a photo of one of the more famous Black Hawthorns, possibly the only one to survive (?), during its days in the quarries at Wirksworth, Derbyshire. Named 'Holwell No 3', the livery was a shade of green, difficult to detect exactly from this photo, with red lining, which gave the loco an air of importance that it probably didn't deserve! The loco is now at the Tanfield museum in County Durham.

Anyway this is looking to be a very nice model, and I hope the picture helps you finish the paint job.

Best wishes,

Geraint Hughes

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:51 pm

hughesp87 wrote:I'm going to try to attach a photo of one of the more famous Black Hawthorns, possibly the only one to survive (?)

If you're looking for other examples of surviving Black Hawthorns then there's Bauxite at the National Railway Museum

http://www.nrm.org.uk/OurCollection/LocomotivesAndRollingStock/CollectionItem.aspx?objid=1953-354

and City of Aberdeen at Bo'ness

http://www.srpsmuseum.org.uk/10002.htm

A much better shot of her livery is here

http://www.bon-accord.org.uk/gallery.html?page=view&catid=2&key=34&hit=1

at a location not unknown to me

Hope that gives you some ideas for a suitable paint job.
James Dickie

My workbench

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:11 am

Thanks James and Geraint, That is very helpful. When I am at the NRM in about 2 weeks I will go and take a few photos of Bauxite. There are some serious detail differences to the kit of which Geraint's is Pretty good math except for lack of sanding boxes on the running plate and the mechanical lubricator! Bauxite on the other hand is quite different to the cab sheet, dumb buffers and a few others which I didn't notice! I like the royal blue though to "Holwell No 3" The lining will be a challange!

All most helpful!
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:41 pm

Just a note for people who eagerly awaiting the goings on of my work bench. It is going on holiday for the next 4 weeks, and the works will be closed. I hope to see alot of you and meet face to face at Scalefourum, as we fly out tomorrow morning and arrive in the Uk on Sunday morning.

See you soon
Doug

Trevor Grout

Postby Trevor Grout » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:39 pm

enjoy the flight, but please if your coming over the thames early sunday morning, could you keep it done as I shall be sleeping, thank you.....
safe journey

regards
trevor

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:30 pm

Well Trev I did ask but the pilot muttered some thing about fuel and no one hears at 5.00am!
See you at s4um ( it is hard to write this on the phone!) (give Ted or Ivan an sms to get my number!)
Doug

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:19 am

UPDATE: Doug is now in the jurisdiction.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:40 pm

Well Mr Tan not for too much longer!!!

Dear Members I still don't appologies for the lack of progress on the above builds. I have really enjoyed my time on these pleasant shores. Today I am in Windsor (well will be until about 4pm saturday when we have to move to Heathrow!) I must admit that the availablity of Hornby rolling stock in the big department stores does surprise me (a bit along the lines that Railway modelling is dying.... I think it might be quite healthy) Yes I did make a couple of purchases in the way of a GWR horse van and a Hornby trout...well one of the ballast wagons in NE livery of OO. I will have to get over this thing on horse boxes :twisted: ...that will be number 5 in the house (some may even stay OO at this rate). I thank every one who has either phoned or met in person at Scalefourum it has been so enjoyable. I expect all of you and others to get in touch when in my bit of the World, ie Melbourne Australia.You can also Skype me if you want just remember it is 10 hours different and Australia is ahead!

Caution navel gazing ahead:-
I beleive the Society is in a good place and from the friendly chats I had with people (I have no idea of your names at times!) the friendship and support is there for an on going society. If Scalefourum is anything to go by and the area groups I assume are the same. The longevity of the society is assured, as in Australia the male population keeps supporting each other in organisations such as S4soc, one such is called the "men's shed" where there is a friendship with a shared interest. (though if the rest of the S4soc meetings are like the ones in Melbourne occationally Trains are discussed... :o ) The support networks for the individuals will give the members a shared interation which reduces the social and health ills of the male population. (sorry if the female readers find this one sided but the fairer sex is so much better at the social support networks than us males!) Long live the good of the society and railway modelling generally.

Thank you for such a fantastic reception, and modelling will commence again in a week and a half! 8-)
Doug

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:54 pm

Doug,

If you're in Windsor I presume you've been in Daniels department store. An old friend of mine (from Egham MRS days) until recently was in charge of the Hornby department there - it was actually run by Hornby, not the store, and I don't think this was their only example. They do seem to have their heads screwed together business wise. I go in there from time to time to see what they have in.

Philip

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:06 pm

Spot on Phillip, It was Daniels I really did't expect to see so much stock in a department store. It was quite a range and I was tempted by another couple of items that were limited editions from earlier this year which I already have.
Doug

DougN

Re: Bradwell Q6- now for some coaches

Postby DougN » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:17 am

Seasons greeting every one. Yes I am still alive... that four letter word has been getting in the way...starts with W and ends in K if you can't figure it out. But in the mean time I have been very lucky and scored some coach kits ... enough for a decent train! So I have started up the old soldering Iron and have got on with it! They are all D&S kits one which had been started, So I started with that one.
DSC_0190.JPG

DSC_0191.JPG

Not really sure about the bogie fixing method. I suspect that I may have to change it for a press stud at some time. The eyelets are a little difficult to get right I have left them loose but I think the swing might be a little restricted by the bearing circle.
DSC_0192.JPG

DSC_0193.JPG

The following have moved on a little in getting the a set of wheels and the NER horse box received brake gear! Not all the linkages are there yet. I will one day get around to it!
DSC_0194.JPG

Now that I have a couple of weeks off I may get a bit done on the rolling stock. My thoughts are still for a layout. Unlike the UK I tend to do a lot of modelling during our summer! I can't figure out why....today nutty christmas shoppers and 31degrees...though must mow the weeds at some time..may leave it til after dinner cooler in the evenings.

Merry christmas (I know totally un PC & I don't care)
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:52 am

Well again it has been a couple of months since I had up dated this. The Q6 has not had any work on it BUT the Black Hawthorn, I think, now has its crossheads missing the crank pins so I have put is all back together, resolved the binding axle (how the chassis had ended up out of square on the 2 bearings I have no idea....) Now I put it all back together just to find that the fixed compensation beam is, well, not fixed. So I will have to fix it some how and this is after it is painted black on the outside and brick red on the inside (of the chassis!).
DSC_0231.JPG

I have painted the buffer beams (humbrol 60 matt Scalet) and the cab floor (humbrol 110 wood). The chassis was painted using an airbrush with Humbrol matt Black. THe main body was painted with a Tamya Matt Black spray pack which has come out in a nice satin finish! It will eventually get a TCS M1 hardwired chip in the boiler for DCC operation. The little loco has ended up quite heavy for its size which is satisfying as I have not yet put any lead in the small spaces available in the bunkers either side or in the chassis area.

All round I am very pleased with how it has come out. I am still debating whether to put any other livery on the tank and cab such as the prototype photos a few posts back.
Doug

Return to “Steam Locomotives”