Hornby Black 5 & 8F Conversions

iak

Hornby Black 5 & 8F Conversions

Postby iak » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:08 pm

These two beasties are now asking for a re-wheeling.
Having done some looking around I now see Ultrascale are doing 3mm axles on their driving wheels - anyone done a conversion with these particular rotating load bearers as yet? No offence to the Gibsons but I'm looking to give these two the full works. ;)
I also want to give the chassis a bit more of a look to them - Comet bits used as overlays?
As for the front bogie on the Black 5 I'm thinking of a sprung job and have thought about the Masokits etch....
The 8F pony truck needs some thought so an ideas please gentlemen.
The tenders will get some gubbins underneath but I really want to get my head round the hot, smokey bit first :D
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

martin goodall

Re: Hornby Black 5 & 8F Conversions

Postby martin goodall » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:27 pm

I have successfully used Ultrascale conversion sets with 3mm axles on other conversions - a Collett Goods and two Panniers. I had a problem with a 45XX but I don't think that had anything to do with the Ultrascale wheels.

Ultrascale wheels are of superb quality - well worth the price, and the wait for delivery. They can supply all their wheels (not just conversion sets) with 3mm axles if ordered, and wheel centres to match, of course (!). They can also supply wheels to P4, EM or EMF profile. The last of these is an EM wheel which is only 2mm wide (the same as a P4 wheel) - very useful if you want to use EM wheels set to P4 back-to-back (but let's not go there again).

The only slight problem I have found with Ultrascale wheels is that they have a tendency to slip on their axles, thereby putting out the quartering. There seems to be a consensus in favour of pinning the wheels to the axles to prevent this - see other threads on this forum.

iak

Postby iak » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:39 am

Thanks Martin
Ahah.. EMF has its uses with the 8F methinks :D
The Black 5 has the sprung axle so this may go for the P4 tyre....
However, I do like doing the idea of the EMF profile so :shock:

[runs and hides under desk]
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:01 am

iak wrote:These two beasties are now asking for a re-wheeling.
The 8F pony truck needs some thought so an ideas please gentlemen.
The tenders will get some gubbins underneath but I really want to get my head round the hot, smokey bit first :D

I was wondering if the Brassmasters BR pony would be suitable but it doesn't look like it from photos and looks more like a GWR pony in some ways. Put an AWS protector on the buffer beam though and you can probably get away with the Hornby original and some lead for now.

I'd wondered about how these EM flange wheels were working with clearances following the latest S4 News but if the wheels are the same width it makes sense that there aren't any issues. The inside cylinder 0-6-0s are one thing but anything with outside cylinders and valve gear is a bit more tricky, I have a King Arthur the original owner gave up on after seeing some clearance issues on the cylinders.

Might want to check with Brassmasters if they have any plans for a fold up subframe for any of the LMS range?

The tenders will probably want the shelf underneath removing as per the detailing thread currently on rmweb.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:16 pm

Hi
Having built the Comet 8f chassis in P4, there were no particular problems. Yes I did open out the cylinders etch by a mil or so to give clearance behind the crossheads. As to the pony truck, loads of lead! I wish I'd seen Tim V's sprung version or I'd have tried a similar approach...I'd still like to see a close up of the pony and rubbing plate together ;) . Tried building one of the Brassmasters ponies, but failed to get it to work, hell of a lot of work. Prefer Tim's idea!!
I have also used the Masokits bogie on various engines, if you get the springing to work, then they do as advertised. On a fiddle scale, I'd say about a 6, so not Mr C's finger burning best...thankfully!
8f on shed.JPG

It is rather obvious that the cylinder has etch has been widened and on reflection I could have got away with less of a gap than I used. I have the same problem with my B5, but I have a new Comet chassis and sprung hb's with Ultrascale wheels for it. Just can't bear the thought of dismantling a perfectly good model to throw most of it on ebay!! I
Good luck

Mike

iak

Postby iak » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:39 pm

Mike Garwood wrote:Hi
Having built the Comet 8f chassis in P4, there were no particular problems. Yes I did open out the cylinders etch by a mil or so to give clearance behind the crossheads. As to the pony truck, loads of lead! I wish I'd seen Tim V's sprung version or I'd have tried a similar approach...I'd still like to see a close up of the pony and rubbing plate together ;) . Tried building one of the Brassmasters ponies, but failed to get it to work, hell of a lot of work. Prefer Tim's idea!!
I have also used the Masokits bogie on various engines, if you get the springing to work, then they do as advertised. On a fiddle scale, I'd say about a 6, so not Mr C's finger burning best...thankfully!
8f on shed.JPG

It is rather obvious that the cylinder has etch has been widened and on reflection I could have got away with less of a gap than I used. I have the same problem with my B5, but I have a new Comet chassis and sprung hb's with Ultrascale wheels for it. Just can't bear the thought of dismantling a perfectly good model to throw most of it on ebay!! I
Good luck

Mike

Mike
I have another 8F body to play with in the future so hey, this is a handy tip :D
Mind I've this first one to sort first........ :shock:

Sláinte
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

iak

Postby iak » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:39 pm

Right gents
Thanks for the info and suggestions.
I'll be ordering some wheels frae Ultrascale and Gibson soon and will be purchasing some other bits as mentioned.
As to which wheel-profile? ;) :shock: :D
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

Return to “Steam Locomotives”