RTR Conversions.

triumph3

RTR Conversions.

Postby triumph3 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:00 pm

I have done a small number of RTR conversions over the years, but if it involves outside valve gear then I usually ask for assistance, but all the models have turned out well. The recent RTR models exhibit outstanding quality and are well woth considering compared to some kits. I have recently been collaborating with Tony Sheffield and Robin Whittle where they execute the loco conversions and I either paint and or weather locos and rolling stock.
Here are some examples, the first being a Bachmann Stanier mogul, I supplied the loco and had built a Brassmasters tender chassis (with Gibson axle boxes) and Robin finished off the tender and transferred all the electronic gubbins and fitted a DCC chip. Since having it back I have re numbered it, given it a light weathering and fitted couplings.
IMG_4700 (2).JPG

The second conversion is for a shunting truck which I think was Hornby, I renamed the location to Wellington (using a cambridge Custom sheet , fitted couplings, added lots of weight and gave it a weathering.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Suffolk Dave

Re: RTR Conversions.

Postby Suffolk Dave » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:14 am

Nice weathering job!
Check out my modelling activity here: https://www.instagram.com/4mm_dave/

Triode

Postby Triode » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:27 am

Nice work :thumb

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:15 am

Yes, very nice indeed.
Dave.

triumph3

Postby triumph3 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:57 pm

The shunting truck is a Bachmann one ( I found the box!).
8881FFEB-F43E-49EA-9E5D-2EEA2EE2F007.jpeg

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

triumph3

Postby triumph3 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:31 pm

Another benchmark RTR model when it came out was the Bachmann 08 shunter. There is now some debate about whether the newer Hornby version is better, but having converted 2 Bachmann ones I am not about to start again!
The conversion used Ultrascale wheel sets (which includes a gear wheel) and a set of Brassmasters coupling rods and balance weights. The coupling rods need some care as they are prototypical size but they make the model. I declined to fit sound when DCC was fitted as they are very quite in prototype form. Both have been re numbered, one has been weathered and the other is awaiting the airbrush.
100_1399 (2).JPG
08.JPG

David

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:56 pm

David nice work on the 08 weathering.

Robin

triumph3

Postby triumph3 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:20 pm

Another RTR model is the Bachmann 1F 0-6-0 tank. The chimney is the only thing that I would change, but not found a reasonable replacement.
This one is a bit more than a straight RTR conversion as I used the Brassmasters EasyChas, but it retains all the Bachmann chassis but adds some axle boxes.
I have added some etched works plates and bunker plates and will now replace the coupling rods with the etched ones from the Brassmasters kit.
IMG_4737.JPG
IMG_4736.JPG

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:17 pm

The inverted V shape of the coupling rods in top photo suggests something's not quite right - quartering on middle axle needs a tweak, perhaps. A study of the rods at various positions will indicate if there's a small length error as well. There doesn't seem to be a bump in the track which would be the only other explanation.

DaveB

triumph3

Postby triumph3 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:03 pm

Dave, thanks for noticing that, I will have to investigate.

Robin Whittle has done a number of conversions for me either in exchange for some weathering or for some P4 locos surplus to me. The Bachmann Patriot is a nice model and Robin also built the Lanarkshire Models tender chassis. The loco is "Royal Signals" as this was allocated to Shrewsbury in 1960 for a few months and my Father was in the regiment for many years. Robin converted another one for himself (see a nice video of it on Robins layout elsewhere on the Forum)
IMG_4767 (2).JPG

This is a comparison between the Bachmann model and a Brassmaster model I have been building for 20 years!

IMG_4768.JPG

David

triumph3

Postby triumph3 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:11 pm

Another one of Robins conversions, this time a Bachmann Jubilee. Most of the Jubilees allocated to Barrow Rd, Robins model were transferred to Shrewsbury in October 1961 so I already had the nameplates for most of them so after Robins conversion I renumbered and renamed the locos, and when I visit they are appropriate to run on Robins layout.
IMG_4484 (2).JPG
This one is a little different as a number of Jubilees retained a combined dome and top feed, 2 of them being at Barrow Rd and subsequently at Shrewsbury. I hacked of the original dome and top feed and substituted a Brassmaster white metal item before sending the loco to Robin.

David

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:57 pm

Quite a height difference between those two Patriots, David - perhaps not helped by the front bogie being off the rails on the LH (Hornby?) model. The Hornby version certainly looks the part and saves an awful lot of work - and I've seen that they run well and hold the track, even without suspension.
Nice models.
Dave.

triumph3

Postby triumph3 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:57 pm

Having done a comparison between a Kit built (Brassmasters) and a Bachmann Patriot, I will now post a comparison between a Brassmasters Jubilee and a Bachmann one. The Bachmann one was converted a long time ago.
IMG_3246 (2).JPG

IMG_3259.JPG
IMG_3257 (2).JPG

The only difference I can see is the length of the outside steam pipe with the Brassmasters one being taller and the cylinders slightly bigger.

bobwallison

Postby bobwallison » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:30 pm

Wow, that is an astonishing comparison - very difficult to tell which is which without expanding the images to 2 or 3 times full size. The Bachmann has more daylight between main frames and bogie, a flatter crosshead and really thick lamp irons (they were the giveaway). All easily fixed in an evening or two's gentle modelling. The photos stand as a tribute to the quality of today's RTR stock (and to the skill of the modeller who built, converted, painted and weathered them, of course).

Bob

triumph3

Postby triumph3 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:24 pm

Jim Smith Wright has noticed that I have put the coupling rods on my unweathered 08 the wrong way round.

David

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:00 pm

I am sorry to say that having the coupling rods the wrong way round is the least of your problems with the unweathered D3028.

All 350hp shunters up to no.13244 (=D3244) were built with vacuum exhauster cabinets on both sides of the engine compartment whereas the righthand one is missing on your model, with the exhauster in place the door lengths and strap arrangements were different. Also that same early group of locos didn't have vertical handles on the doors, they came in with no.13245; doors with hinge straps continued a little further through the construction period. The wooden door and wood-framed droplight are correct for this loco.

As built the loco had 13 slots either side of the bonnet casing behind the ladder but the bottom four may well have been plated over as modelled with the loco in green.

Moving to the ends of the loco (which I can't see on the photo), it should have WR style lamp irons, the lighting conduit to the top lamp on the cab end should emerge from the right hand end of the right hand bottom lamp, rise vertically then diagonally and then vertically again to miss the cab window (the bottom middle and top lamps being retrofits), there shouldn't be any windscreen wipers (a là steam locos) and finally the two crane hook holes in the buffer beams should be horizontal slots, not maltese-cross style holes.

The actual configuration of 350hp shunters as built is surprisingly complex and most of the trade offerings are wrong in some respect or another. I have spent some considerable time trying to sort the situation out, at least up to the blue paint and air brake era, and these two files represent my best efforts to date.

08shuntersX.pdf

08shuntersT.pdf

triumph3

Postby triumph3 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:37 am

Re the D3028 I will hold my hands up and say after I converted the model (7 or 8 years ago) and tried to fit some Extreme etches replacement glazing I realised that the 08s are a nightmare for variations. Even Brian at Extreme etches had not realised that the replacement glazing would not fit the Bachmann model due to different doors. Having re numbered the loco based on a partial side view at Wellington I now realise that there is a lot wrong with it. Thats the reason I have not weathered it.
Without a photo and a description of the various parts I am a little lost as to all the differences. What number range should the Bachmann model loco be in as it would be easier to re number it.

Re the coupling rods I have had a look and I have the rods correct on one side but have assembled the Brassmasters rods incorrectly on the other side.

David

triumph3

Postby triumph3 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:20 pm

When converting RTR steam locos I usually renumber and re name the loco. Renaming ex LMS locos has never been a problem, but I have recently had to re name a small number of ex GWR locos in BR livery. there are 2 problems:
1. Firstly the radius of the plate below the name does not correspond to the radius of the splashers
IMG_4687 (2).JPG
Here is an example.
2. Secondly most RTR models have the plate below the actual nameplate lined out, but the aftermarket plates are in plain green!
IMG_4788.JPG

So if changing the name the lining below the plate is lost.
IMG_4790.JPG

I suspect the only way of resolving this issue is to carefully cut of the plain green plate underneath the nameplate with a very fine piecing saw.

David

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:31 pm

Is this because RTR loco splashers are too big?
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:33 am

triumph3 wrote:I suspect the only way of resolving this issue is to carefully cut of the plain green plate underneath the nameplate with a very fine piecing saw.

Tha might depend on how much material has to be removed. A half round file might be a better solution and will give a finer finish to the cut edge.

Picture 05.jpg

A small vice like the one above wouls be useful and hold the plate between paper to prevent damage

Terry Bendall

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:32 am

I remove the green plate with a sharp scalpel. Needs several passes not a job to be hurried.

Totnes Castle 08.jpg

triumph3

Postby triumph3 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:05 am

Following on from John Darch suggestion regarding cutting off the bottom of the etched plates I gave it a go on the plates for Baggrave Hall. Success, so thanks john for the tip.
I had 2 sets of plates for the loco, one set from 247 Developments and a set from Fox transfers, so did the set from 247 first and they fitted pretty well but the radius of the plates is not perfect, but acceptable. When I did one of the plates from the Fox set I was surprised by how much the radius of the plates differed from the model, to the point where they were unusable in my view.
IMG_4802.JPG

As you can see the radius of the 247 plate is not identical to the model,but is acceptable.

David

triumph3

Postby triumph3 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:17 am

Elsewhere on the Forum, Robin Whittle is detailing converting an ROD 2-8-0 for me (the ex LNWR loco) and in return I am weathering more of his Barrow Rd locos, in this case another RTR conversion of a Bachmann Patriot.
There is nothing revolutionary about my weathering techniques, I use learnt from Tim Shackleton and Martin Welch.
I only use enamels (both Humbrol and Prevision) and a Harder and Steinbeck airbrush, with some weathering applied by brush.
In the case of 45506 I gave the whole loco a coat and then after letting it dry for 30 minutes carefully took off most of the weathering by brush and cotton bud, this then leaves the rivets retaining some of the weathering, the idea being a loco that was dirty then cleaned and then getting dirty again.
The biggest issue for me is that some of the paint formulations have changed, particularly Humbrol 62 Red Leather requiring me to change the mixes using this colour.
IMG_4799 (2).JPG

IMG_4801 (2).JPG

David

triumph3

Postby triumph3 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:13 pm

Having successfully renamed 6994 Baggrave Hall it seems appropriate to post photos of the loco before I start weathering it.
The loco is a Bachmann Modified Hall that I converted some time ago, but never fully finished. The Bachmann model is good, but the designers did not seem to understand the details around the front frames, so they got it wrong. Fortunately, Brassmasters now make an etched detailing kit to make the front frames and under smoke box detail correct. Fortunately, Robin agreed to fit the detailing kit at the same time as fitting a DCC chip.
So once the loco was back with me, I painted the new brass parts and then new numbers and name and added scale couplings.
modified 3.jpg
This photo taken on Robins Barrow Rd Layout.

IMG_4804.JPG

The loco was at Shrewsbury and for those that know me, I model locos I saw in my spotting days at Shrewsbury, Wellington and Stafford.
6994 at Shrewsbury (2).jpg

David

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:54 pm

Nice work David.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”