Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2 tank

Dave Holt

Re: Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2 tank

Postby Dave Holt » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:21 pm

Thanks for the comments about curing times. The adjustments to the door position may have contributed to the extended time, but the residue (about twenty times more than I actually used) took the same time despite not being touched.

One thing that irks is the clumsy look of the handrail knobs. They are AG short type which, say on a smokebox front rail look perfectly OK, on the doors they do not. Too late now, but it's perhaps as well that this is just meant to be a layout loco and not be inspected too closely.

Dave.

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:47 pm

Handrail knobs certainly aren't what they used to be! I'm sure I used to supply scale knobs with a sub-1mm ball and a very tidy base but these days the 1mm ball is standard even though it's well oversize. They can be "turned" down to 0.8 and the base reformed but it's not the greatest way to spend an afternoon. Big improvement, though.

I have used Markits N gauge knobs in some places but they don't have a proper base - just a stalk - they might have done for your doors, Dave. Before this I tried split pins made from 0.3 wire filed to half-round in desperation.

DaveB

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:13 am

Slow progress continues, with lamp irons and capacity plate fitted to the bunker and top lamp iron ,handrail and VCR steam balance pipe fitted at the front.
Ivatt_2T_054.JPG

These lamp irons are the second attempt. I previously found some ready made up and thought it had saved some work. However, after fitting them, it dawned that they were the wrong shape, being rather like angular tea cup hooks rather than the correct :MS/BR type now fitted. These are folded up from some etches done for me by Rumney Models for the BR Standard tank.
Ivatt_2T_055.JPG

The steam balance pipe, made from 0.8 mm brass wire, linking the cylinder steam pipes and routed below the smokebox, highlights another dimensional error in the Bachmann body. It is a tight fit between the smoke box bottom and the top of the footplate, whereas there should be a gap between pipe and footplate. Clearly, the Bachmann boiler is too low or the footplate too high. Ah well.
Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:50 am

A bit more progress with the fitting of the ejector steam pipes along the boiler and re-fixing the Bachmann moulded tank vent pipe that had been detached at the top but couldn't be unplugged from the tank top, like the RH one had been.
Not a huge item, but surprisingly tricky to get the shape right. The result isn't perfect, but the full sized versions were quite untidy, so it will do.
Side view:
Ivatt_2T_056.JPG

Three-quarter view:
Ivatt_2T_057.JPG

Beginning to run out of things to do to avoid tackling the front end details of brake ejector and steam pipes/push-pull vacuum gear.
Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:51 pm

I did manage to find some further distractions from the front end detailing, namely the fire iron rests on the tank tops and the steam lance connection on the smokebox. The former are bent up from some etchings done for me by Rumney Models and the latter is a nice cast brass item left over from the Brassmasters re-built Royal Scot.
The detached RH tank vent moulding has also been re-affixed.
Ivatt_2T_058.JPG

Ivatt_2T_059.JPG

Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:47 am

At the far end of the pipes running along the boiler is the brake ejector. On the push-pull fitted locos, the standard LMS ejector has a different shaped discharge pipe to the smokebox, bending upwards to avoid part of the VCR equipment.
The Bachmann moulding represents this arrangement quite well so it has been re-fitted but with some additional details to represent the small drain pipes, steam feeds and their union nuts.
Another small step forwards.
Ivatt_2T_060.JPG

Ivatt_2T_061.JPG

Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri May 06, 2022 12:46 pm

A bit more slow progress with detailing the body. The smokebox side hand rails have been fitted and a crude representation of the tank filler lid clamps made. These latter were filed up from 0.55 mm shank brass lace pins to create a tee shape. Not very accurate to the prototype but better than what was there before - nothing at all.
LHS.
Ivatt_2T_062.JPG

RHS - slightly blurred for some reason.
Ivatt_2T_063.JPG

I now realise it was a mistake to fit the fire iron holders at this stage as the front one, in particular, has already been bent several times during handling. I've tried to reinforce it with extra solder. Just hope a leg doesn't snap off.
Getting perilously close to having to deal with the steam pipe/VCR equipment and associated pipework.
Dave.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sat May 07, 2022 5:55 am

Lovely work there Dave. I know what you mean about the fireiron holder. I've knocked off the one of my 1P several times. I've just checked it now and amazingly it's still there but the day is young. LOL.

All Best

Dave

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri May 13, 2022 4:55 pm

A start has been made on fitting the push-pull (vacuum controller regulator) gear. The main parts are the original Bachmann mouldings which represent the gear quite well. They have been drilled to take thin brass wire and small bore tube for the drain and equalising pipes on each side. Fitting these parts has involve copious quantities of black Loctite 480.
Unfortunately, on the RHS, the rather tasty Brassmasters cast steam lance has had to be sacrificed as it was very slightly oversize and protruded too far from the smokebox outer, interfering with the VCR lever. A simplistic replacement was fashioned from brass rod and wire.
Still the vacuum operating pipes to do. They come up from the front step, splay out and connect to the bottom of the actuator diaphragms on each side.
Ivatt_2T_065.JPG

Ivatt_2T_064.JPG

No more modelling for a few days as I have a visitor. We're off out tomorrow (NT property) and Monday (evening gig in Oxford) and I'm at the EM show, in Bracknell on Sunday.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Thu May 19, 2022 8:05 pm

Houston (or should that Delph?), we have control! The vacuum control pipes to the VCR actuators have been made from wire and tube and fitted into position. Other than the buffer beam mounted standpipes and hoses, that completes the front end pipework.
Ivatt_2T_066.JPG

Ivatt_2T_067.JPG

Ivatt_2T_068.JPG

Front lamp irons and grab handles next, I think.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri May 20, 2022 7:07 pm

Front lamp irons and grab handles it was. I discovered the lamp iron already made up (from Masokits etches, I believe), presumably much earlier in this project or for some other loco but not used. Anyway, it saved some time. Mind you, I managed to temporarily loose one on the work tray, resulting in a frantic search for some minutes. All safely fixed, now.
The handles were bent up from 0.33 mm brass wire. One fitted the pre-drilled holes in the footplate perfectly, the other, well, attempt number 3 or 4, and then not perfect.
Once the Loctite 480 has fully cured, I need to grind off the protruding mounting stalks under the front footplate, otherwise they will interfere with the front step mountings on the chassis.
Ivatt_2T_069.JPG

Ivatt_2T_070.JPG

Ivatt_2T_071.JPG

Not sure what's next as I'm waiting for some custom etches and 3D prints to be done.
Could always paint the chassis, I suppose.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Sat May 21, 2022 12:46 pm

Push-pull fitted Ivatt tanks had two vacuum pipes/hoses at each end. One being the normal train brake, the other being the VCR (vacuum controlled regulator) control pipe.
I found some quite nice cast brass stand-pipe/hoses with four identical items on one sprue. I have no idea who's make they are but the pipe diameter (0.8 mm) and hose length were correct but the stand-pipe height was longer than required. The front and rear pipes are of different heights but both could be formed by straightening and then re-bending the upright pipe. Three went to plan but, unfortunately, I managed to bend the second rear pipe in the wrong place and, during re-straightening, the pipe snapped off, presumably being quite brittle and work hardened by the bending. I managed to drill the broken end, insert a peg and fit a length of 0.8 mm brass tube. This enabled the new pipe to be bent and the situation recovered. The joint isn't perfect but is acceptable and at least the rest of the pipe matches the others.
The pipes have been temporarily tried in place, as shown below. Final tweaking and fitting cannot take place till the support brackets have been made and, due to access considerations, till after the push-pull electric jumper cables have been fitted.
Ivatt_2T_072.JPG

Ivatt_2T_073.JPG

Not readily visible is the removal of the stunted Bachmann tank lifting lugs. The flat plate attachments on the tanks have been retained and better scale representations of the sloping parts will be fitted into pre-drilled holes.
Still managing to avoid that painting! :mrgreen:
Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Sat May 28, 2022 1:18 pm

Finally, after years of shilly-shallying about and agonising over what to do for best, I've finally bitten the bullet and replaced the Bachmann moulded chimney and replaced it with a custom made brass replacement. The new chimney is a lovely work of art and was made for me by Jeremy Suter.
Here is the loco with its new chimney proudly displayed.
Ivatt_2T_074.JPG

Ivatt_2T_075.JPG

Ivatt_2T_076.JPG

Dave.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sat May 28, 2022 5:11 pm

Excellent work there Dave it's coming on lovely. Also a cracking job from Jeremy as well. Looking forward to seeing this finished. Crack on.

All Best

Dave

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:12 pm

Thanks for the kind comments, Dave.

Basic painting of the chassis has been undertaken using enamels in various mixes of black, gunmetal (metalcote) and leather. Will need some further work to bring out highlights and harmonise with the weathered body, in due course. Once fully dried, the chassis components have been re-assembled, hopefully for the final time.
Ivatt_2T_077.JPG

Ivatt_2T_078.JPG

Ivatt_2T_079.JPG

As usual, things didn't go entirely to plan. I managed to loose a front crankpin retaining bush. After a fruitless search for an hour or so, a replacement was created in about half the time the following morning.
This was also the first time that the chassis, complete with motor, was fitted into the body since the cab interior was in situ. Unfortunately, the lower portion of the cab front sheet was just touching the back end of the motor, not enough to prevent assembly, but enough to jam up the suspension movement. Some judicious work with a cutting disc in a mini-drill created enough clearance to allow free movement.
Black 5 next?
Dave.

essdee

Postby essdee » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:18 pm

!!!.....
Super work Dave, even with the bodywork unpainted. Very impressive,

Steve

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:57 am

Great work there Dave.

I have been chatting to a local member about how useful these threads are. He was looking for details to the Robert Stephenson Hawthorn I built years ago. Mike made comment to me how my modelling and normal life collided. I guess the one thing that became apparent to me is once people like yourself, and others put up what they are doing which encourages others to do modelling. The discussion moved onto the idea of making time and procrastination on starting modelling. So the more that "we" post on doing the more encouragement to others to have a go. :thumb
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:23 am

Thanks, Doug.
It would be nice to think that posting stuff on the Forum does inspire others to do some practical modelling, as you suggest. Hopefully, our experiences and some trial and tribulations help others overcome issues and avoid similar pitfalls. That's one of the reasons I describe my failures and setbacks as well as all the positive things. Just had one with my Black 5, but I'll put that in its own thread.
Dave.

Winander

Postby Winander » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:33 pm

Dave Holt wrote:does inspire others to do some practical modelling

It definitely does do so for me, I am even not discouraged by the high bar you set in the quality.

OK, now I'm off to continue with the DIY required by Domestic Management after which I might squeeze in some modelling time before she thinks of the next 'little' job ;)
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:45 pm

The 2-6-2 tanks were fitted with standard LMS square base, parallel body buffers but having 18" rather than the normal 16" heads. The ones already fitted to the model are Gibson items with the smaller head. No-one seems to do suitable 18" heads other than coach buffers and these have too small a shank behind the head. Luckily, I had some brass tube with the exact bore and O/D to convert the coach buffer heads to fit the loco bodies, so short lengths have been fixed to the heads to this end.
Ivatt_2T_080.JPG

The brass shanks need to be blackened before fitting.
Dave.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:12 am

Great work there Dave. I've put my two Ivatt's in the post for you to convert. LOL. I certainly will be revisiting this thread when I do get round to converting my two. This is why it is important to show your work on this forum to encourage others, you never know work may have the answer to someone's problem.

All Best

Dave

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:37 am

Recently, I've been preparing some detailing etches produced by Rumney Models, mainly for me but also Peter T, who posts on here.
The replacement rear ladder is a very neat, if fiddly design by Peter with a bit of input from me. Here is my part assembled version loosely placed in position on the bunker rear. The ladders fitted to motor fitted locos had an off-set in the lower portion to clear some of the push-pull fittings - mainly the terminal block and plug holster for the electrical connection.
Ivatt_2T_081.JPG

Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:32 am

A bit more progress with the ladder. The lower support brackets and bottom rung have been fitted so, barring some final fettling and adjustments, it is ready to fit to the model.
Here's the completed ladder with brackets.
Ivatt_2T_082.JPG

Again, loosely placed in position. I see that the ladder is a fraction on a millimetre too low. The small pads on the angled supports should be hard up against the bottom of the buffer beam. The angle of these brackets is a slight compromise as I didn't want the rear edge of the pads to protrude beyond the inner edge of the overly thick buffer beam, so as not to interfere with the back end of the chassis. Even so, I might have gone a bit too far with this and some slight adjustment (opening out - nearer to prototype) to the angle of the brackets will be required once the ladder is fixed in position.
Ivatt_2T_083.JPG

Ivatt_2T_084.JPG

Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:39 pm

The ladder and a couple of other detailing parts have been fitted to the bunker rear. The other parts include the electrical connector block, its protective hood and the plug and holster for the motor train bell code system.
Rear view:
Ivatt_2T_085.JPG

and slightly blurred rear three quarters view:
Ivatt_2T_086.JPG

Now I have to remember not to put the body down the right way up as the bottom of the ladder protrudes below everything else. OK with the chassis fitted.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:57 pm

Attention turns to the front. Electrical jumper arrangements fitted.
Ivatt_2T_087.JPG

Ivatt_2T_088.JPG

Dave.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”