Mercian Models Midland Half Cab 0-6-0T

Sapper

Mercian Models Midland Half Cab 0-6-0T

Postby Sapper » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:25 pm

Hello
I bought one of these kits some time ago and recently started working on it, however, having completed most of the body have now come to a halt. Although the kit comes with 13 pages of instruction, diagrams etc there are a number of items which are not mentioned in the instructions or do not fit.
The kit is a scaled down version from a Gauge 1 kit and I know there are some discrepancies with other Mercian kits produced this way.

I was wondering if any members had been able to build one of these kits and could pass on some hints, particularly regarding the chassis and body fittings.

Sadly, I understand the proprietor passed away some time ago so I am not able to get any advice from that quarter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Sapper

David Knight

Re: Mercian Models Midland Half Cab 0-6-0T

Postby David Knight » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:50 pm

I recall, dimly, that there was a series in the model railways press on scratchbuilding a Midland Half Cab back in the ‘70s. It might be useful particularly if the kit is missing bits. IIRC the title of the series was “For scratchbuilding start here” and it may have been in Model Railway Constructor but I can’t swear to it.

HTH

David

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:34 am

David Knight wrote:I recall, dimly, that there was a series in the model railways press on scratchbuilding a Midland Half Cab back in the ‘70s. It might be useful particularly if the kit is missing bits. IIRC the title of the series was “For scratchbuilding start here” and it may have been in Model Railway Constructor but I can’t swear to it.

HTH

David

It was in Model Railways. Circa 1976
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:35 am

Hardwicke wrote:
David Knight wrote:I recall, dimly, that there was a series in the model railways press on scratchbuilding a Midland Half Cab back in the ‘70s. It might be useful particularly if the kit is missing bits. IIRC the title of the series was “For scratchbuilding start here” and it may have been in Model Railway Constructor but I can’t swear to it.

HTH

David

It was in Model Railways. Circa 1976

I have small collection of Model Railways from the 70's and 80's. Picked up secondhand, mostly for the early scribblings of a certain I.Rice Esq.

Going back to the first one that I have, this is what I found:

Midland half cab scan.jpeg

It looks like the series that you both mean. This is the January 1976 issues, and it looks like the series was coming to an end. Although there is no closing "Now place on track and apply power..." statement, looking through the contents pages of the next half-dozen issues, I can't see any further instalments with the same title.

So it looks like it ran through 1975. If anyone has that year of Model Railways and can check and scan the articles, I'm sure it would be a great help.

Best,
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:50 am

I remember that series of articles and I'm sure I will have the relevant issues stashed away in my files (ha!). Could be a long scanning session! I also remember that the methods the author described were very detailed (to much so in my opinion - but I've never been a a perfectionist :shock: ) but perhaps I should revisit them and see if my attitudes have altered over the (many) years since they were published. I doubt that they will inspire me to scratch build anything these days but they might be a good read now I've built many more kits and appreciate the processes involved a lot better.

gavin
Web Team

Postby gavin » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:15 am

Hi

I definitely have these magazines, and the articles, so if it is not possible to get them from elsewhere let me know by email and I will scan them. Just a bit busy getting News 237 to the printers this week.

Gavin
Scalefour News Editor

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:11 pm

That is the series Paul. :thumb

Cheers,

David

Winander

Postby Winander » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:20 pm

Digging around in Magazine Exchange that has 'full' contents listing - I say 'full' because they are not very informative - the plot thickens for Oct, Nov, Dec 1975 and Jan & Feb 1976 lists the exact same content "For Building Begin Here - Chassis"
https://www.magazineexchange.co.uk/cw/Model-Railways-1975
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:53 pm

Winander wrote:Digging around in Magazine Exchange that has 'full' contents listing - I say 'full' because they are not very informative - the plot thickens for Oct, Nov, Dec 1975 and Jan & Feb 1976 lists the exact same content "For Building Begin Here - Chassis"
https://www.magazineexchange.co.uk/cw/Model-Railways-1975

That makes sense for the one that I scanned was Jan '76, and was labelled part 4 of the chassis build. I don't have a copy of the Feb 76 magazine, so I assume that would have been the concluding part.

Best,
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Sapper

Postby Sapper » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:55 pm

Hello Everybody and many thanks to those who have replied and for their suggestions.

David from Down Under has offered to scan the articles for me so hopefully I can get some progress made on the kit. I vaguely remember the articles but the magazines were disposed of many years ago after a flood; nothing new!

Regards

Sapper

dclift

Postby dclift » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:19 pm

I have shelves full of magazines dating back to about 1950 that, so far, have escaped the Swedish Death Clean that is currently sweeping the house. I am always happy to scan useful articles as this provides evidence to the domestic authorities that the magazines are still needed. For the last couple of decades I have only purchased MRJ which has obviated the need to build more shelves.
David Clift.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”